XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLong View Post
Is the X5M your daily for all of you?

I have an Audi S4 (V8 4.2L = 15.8L/100km) and it's my daily car. Do you think I will see a big difference with the X5M's consommation?
I get anywhere from 13.8-15L/100km with a mix of city and hiway.
      01-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #24
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Great feedback! Thanks everyone!!!!
      01-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #25
TB8715
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

It is not my daily driver but close, I switch off every other week with one of my other cars. I probably put on 600 miles a month and so far loving every minute.

Yes it is a nice upgrade from an LS2, and lord knows that had its own issues. I try to live by the old saying "you gotta pay to play" nothing this powerful and nice is going to be cheap to own!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #26
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB8715
It is not my daily driver but close, I switch off every other week with one of my other cars. I probably put on 600 miles a month and so far loving every minute.

Yes it is a nice upgrade from an LS2, and lord knows that had its own issues. I try to live by the old saying "you gotta pay to play" nothing this powerful and nice is going to be cheap to own!
Good point! Thank you for your feedback!
      01-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
JUSTIN335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i m-sport

23k miles in just over a year and nothing but great things to say. Except the GAS MILEAGE. Cruising at 75mph on the freeway, I cannot get it over like 17.5 MPG. City driving is just awful, and any "spirited" driving and you can see the needle move. I know thats usually just a figure of speech, but for the X5M it's true. But it can corner as hard as an M3, no body roll (in EDC mode), and still smooth on the highway. Its like a 7 series that can take you snowboarding, drive on ice, and keep up with a Porsche (well, kind of). Also, mines never had to go to the shop except for standard scheduled maintenance, not a single problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
Thinkkkker
BMWs since 1977
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M Silverstone

Red face Thoughts on X5M

After almost 40 years of driving BMWs (320i, 535is, 740i sports (2 of em) and two plus years and 30k miles with the this rig I rate the X5M without a doubt as the best all around vehicle I've ever owned for pure unadulterated exhilaration, road feel and handling performance not to mention utility as a work truck. But most importantly because of its awesome expanse of glass (front side and back) and its height relative to vehicles around it, it has an incredible field of vision which means you cant miss anything trouble wise around you! I think that and its heft makes the X5M the SAFEST performance vehicle I have ever driven. You wont go wrong with it. Fuel inefficiency is just the price you pay for all of that. Look at that downside as merely an added insurance premium. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkkkker
After almost 40 years of driving BMWs (320i, 535is, 740i sports (2 of em) and two plus years and 30k miles with the this rig I rate the X5M without a doubt as the best all around vehicle I've ever owned for pure unadulterated exhilaration, road feel and handling performance not to mention utility as a work truck. But most importantly because of its awesome expanse of glass (front side and back) and its height relative to vehicles around it, it has an incredible field of vision which means you cant miss anything trouble wise around you! I think that and its heft makes the X5M the SAFEST performance vehicle I have ever driven. You wont go wrong with it. Fuel inefficiency is just the price you pay for all of that. Look at that downside as merely an added insurance premium. Go for it!
Great feedback thank you!!!!
      01-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
LastLong
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Is a big difference gaz consommation between the X5 (V8) and the X5M?
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 4.8i - Sport Pack = SOLD
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 30si - Sport Pack = SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #31
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

My daily driver, my major complaint is that it's not fast enough......lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #32
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Gas mileage is horrendous, especially in city driving and stop and go....and I also have the M3 which is kind of thirsty. But that is my only complain besides the fact that your wheel arches get lots of stone chips which is a common issue. I also crossed shopped with cayenne and Q7 and GL but the size of this SAV is perfect and we have done 1000 mile road trips with the trunk fully loaded ( beach, skiing, etc....) as a Family of four. The interior is well laid out and the amenities are plenty, i recommend full leather unless you have a black interior (sakhir orange full leather with piano trim in my case looks sick), it makes this SAV feel much more luxurious. Love the heads up display also. I also like the exterior look with a sleeker front a la x6m and a more menacing stance and back view.......You may need a set winter wheels and tires if you drive it all year or switch to all season rubber where you are....

Love the quote from other posters...most unpractical practical SUV!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM
Gas mileage is horrendous, especially in city driving and stop and go....and I also have the M3 which is kind of thirsty. But that is my only complain besides the fact that your wheel arches get lots of stone chips which is a common issue. I also crossed shopped with cayenne and Q7 and GL but the size of this SAV is perfect and we have done 1000 mile road trips with the trunk fully loaded ( beach, skiing, etc....) as a Family of four. The interior is well laid out and the amenities are plenty, i recommend full leather unless you have a black interior (sakhir orange full leather with piano trim in my case looks sick), it makes this SAV feel much more luxurious. Love the heads up display also. I also like the exterior look with a sleeker front a la x6m and a more menacing stance and back view.......You may need a set winter wheels and tires if you drive it all year or switch to all season rubber where you are....

Great feedback! Thank you very much!!!
      01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #34
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

I have had mine for about 6 months
the gas mileage isn't horrible, granted i came from a x650i and I get maybe average 2-3mpg less, but if you're about to buy this car a little extra gas shouldn't be making or breaking you unless you drive way more than I do (600 miles/week on average)
That being said, the car is very comfortable, and fun to drive. I am a big guy, 6'2 and about 300lbs (working on that part lol) but it is very comfortable, and I can't complain about feeling tired while driving, if that makes sense, i used to have that issue when i had an older pickup.
The driving experience is great, its very responsive, and does everything quite well. Its amazing what they have gotten this SUV to do. I love that it holds somewhat of a dual personality, between a family x5 and a 5400 pound sports car.

I think you will love it. I haven't had any major issues, the only thing was I had a cylinder misfire and some miscoding earlier that I freaked out about, but that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #35
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
My daily driver, my major complaint is that it's not fast enough......lol
Get catless down pipes and a tune....it's faster than an SUV will ever need to be then.
      01-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #36
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy
I have had mine for about 6 months
the gas mileage isn't horrible, granted i came from a x650i and I get maybe average 2-3mpg less, but if you're about to buy this car a little extra gas shouldn't be making or breaking you unless you drive way more than I do (600 miles/week on average)
That being said, the car is very comfortable, and fun to drive. I am a big guy, 6'2 and about 300lbs (working on that part lol) but it is very comfortable, and I can't complain about feeling tired while driving, if that makes sense, i used to have that issue when i had an older pickup.
The driving experience is great, its very responsive, and does everything quite well. Its amazing what they have gotten this SUV to do. I love that it holds somewhat of a dual personality, between a family x5 and a 5400 pound sports car.

I think you will love it. I haven't had any major issues, the only thing was I had a cylinder misfire and some miscoding earlier that I freaked out about, but that is about it.
Thank you for your feedback!
      01-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #37
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

My blue beast was delivered in November of 2011. I have to say its been a flawless ownership so far (knock on wood). I had the car flashed with Dinan's software with 1200 miles on it and its been a dream ever since. As far as issues go I've had only two very minor ones that didn't cost me a penny to fix. One: the rear left window motor apparently failed and my window was stuck sitting halfway open and crooked during a slight drizzle (drove straight to the dealership, my SA kept the car overnight and gave me a new 550xi to drive in the meantime). Weird thing was that the car only had 1500 miles on it when that part failed... Replaced all parts under warranty and received my car detailed in and out the next day. The only other problem which I was not aware of until my recent service at 28500 miles was the breather hose deteriorating (this part is prone to failure and becomes brittle around 30k miles). I noticed towards the end of last summer that the car wasn't pulling as hard as it used to (felt like stock because I ran my buddy's stock x6m and saw that we were dead even from a dig to about 60). That was replaced under warranty along with the spark plugs and the beast came out of hibernating (pulled harder than ever after the repair). Also heard a small clunking noise in the front of my car so they replaced the front left strut brace which was covered under warranty at the time of service as well ( I blame the shitty MI roads for that one). All in all no major headaches and the car has been a blast to drive. Absolutely priceless leaving people dumbfounded when a 5400+lb SUV embarrasses their sports car at lights. Not sure whether or not I'll be keeping it for a while.. really depends if something catches my eye, like the 991tt! For now shes a keeper though. I say go for it man, you won't look back! (ps. I traded my 4.8i e70 for this).

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #38
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313
My blue beast was delivered in November of 2011. I have to say its been a flawless ownership so far (knock on wood). I had the car flashed with Dinan's software with 1200 miles on it and its been a dream ever since. As far as issues go I've had only two very minor ones that didn't cost me a penny to fix. One: the rear left window motor apparently failed and my window was stuck sitting halfway open and crooked during a slight drizzle (drove straight to the dealership, my SA kept the car overnight and gave me a new 550xi to drive in the meantime). Weird thing was that the car only had 1500 miles on it when that part failed... Replaced all parts under warranty and received my car detailed in and out the next day. The only other problem which I was not aware of until my recent service at 28500 miles was the breather hose deteriorating (this part is prone to failure and becomes brittle around 30k miles). I noticed towards the end of last summer that the car wasn't pulling as hard as it used to (felt like stock because I ran my buddy's stock x6m and saw that we were dead even from a dig to about 60). That was replaced under warranty along with the spark plugs and the beast came out of hibernating (pulled harder than ever after the repair). Also heard a small clunking noise in the front of my car so they replaced the front left strut brace which was covered under warranty at the time of service as well ( I blame the shitty MI roads for that one). All in all no major headaches and the car has been a blast to drive. Absolutely priceless leaving people dumbfounded when a 5400+lb SUV embarrasses their sports car at lights. Not sure whether or not I'll be keeping it for a while.. really depends if something catches my eye, like the 991tt! For now shes a keeper though. I say go for it man, you won't look back! (ps. I traded my 4.8i e70 for this).
Thank you very much for your feedback and encouragement!!!
      03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #39
tmetcalf52
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M

After 4 years, 47,000 miles, I'm still extremely happy. It's my 3rd X5, I've also had 2 M5s and my wife drove an X3. Hands down best vehicle for me, if you like the size and the gas mileage penalty. I drive it every day. X3 just not in ballpark for quality. Test drive it a lot. It's a big vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #40
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmetcalf52
After 4 years, 47,000 miles, I'm still extremely happy. It's my 3rd X5, I've also had 2 M5s and my wife drove an X3. Hands down best vehicle for me, if you like the size and the gas mileage penalty. I drive it every day. X3 just not in ballpark for quality. Test drive it a lot. It's a big vehicle.
Thank you!
      03-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #41
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM

Hi ChiTown,

How much does it cost for a complete winter sets versus putting all year rubber on the 20s?
      03-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #42
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
I am in the process of taking a plunge on a '13 X5M. We are replacing our X3 which appears to be almost a clone of yours, M 310 wheels and all. X3 has been great to us, will certainly report back with my $0.02 after we get some seat time in the X5. Going with Black Sapphire, hope we don't miss the Carbon Black too much!!!
      03-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #43
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu
I am in the process of taking a plunge on a '13 X5M. We are replacing our X3 which appears to be almost a clone of yours, M 310 wheels and all. X3 has been great to us, will certainly report back with my $0.02 after we get some seat time in the X5. Going with Black Sapphire, hope we don't miss the Carbon Black too much!!!
Wow! Does sound like my situation! Good luck! The CB is nice! Why are you making the switch?
      03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #44
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Wow! Does sound like my situation! Good luck! The CB is nice! Why are you making the switch?
A little bigger, M car junkie, and something we always coveted. X3 is a great ride...love the N55 w/ 8 spd auto whipping around a significantly lighter SUV relative to the X5. Hopefully no regrets with the switch.