XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5 4.8i

X-pipe & Res. Delete

I just went and had an X-pipe installed & deleted the resonators and I was super stoked about it. I was looking for a nice deep, loud, rumble and was suggested this by the owner of the shop, I went with it because he did tell me if I deleted my muffler it would be "obnoxiously loud" but i guess his loud is TOTALLY diff. from my loud because now my X5 sounds......exactly the same. I mean it does sound nice and all if I rev it and even when I get up to 4000RPM but honestly, unless im passing someone, that never even happens. I called the place back to ask about the muffler delete and now he says that technically he cant do that and my only other option for more sound would be to install a magna flow dual. Im bummed out now because I have been waiting to do the x-pipe for like a year now and it didn't turn out anything like I wanted. Anyone have any suggestions? or trustworthy shops that don't want to just charge me an arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Mufflers muffles sound, why was that not understood initially? Resonators help contain certain frequencies, preventing a "resonating," buzz in-cabin...

Anything before the muffler would really do you nothing in terms of what you wanted. Yay for the muffler shop for misleading you and taking your money.

Your best bet is a muffler, plain and simple. Perhaps you can use a modified X5M muffler? Or go all out with a muffler replacement. In which, be prepared it will be louder, perhaps louder than you wanted. Do your research.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I did not muffler delete awhile back
That's only way to get the sound ..there is no drone

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Mufflers muffles sound, why was that not understood initially? Resonators help contain certain frequencies, preventing a "resonating," buzz in-cabin...

Anything before the muffler would really do you nothing in terms of what you wanted. Yay for the muffler shop for misleading you and taking your money.

Your best bet is a muffler, plain and simple. Perhaps you can use a modified X5M muffler? Or go all out with a muffler replacement. In which, be prepared it will be louder, perhaps louder than you wanted. Do your research.
aww man I feel so jipped. Well you have any suggestions for a muffler dealer? or actually now I'm skeptical of doing a muffler deal now because I already installed the x-pipe and deleted the res. what am I going to end up with then?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Who knows since you've done the other work already. You may risk a certain drone or buzzing possibly. But know one could accurately tell you with 90%+ confidence...

Worse comes to worse you could always add in a Helmholtz resonator if you do gain an undesired drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who knows since you've done the other work already. You may risk a certain drone or buzzing possibly. But know one could accurately tell you with 90%+ confidence...

Worse comes to worse you could always add in a Helmholtz resonator if you do gain an undesired drone.
mhmmm... well if you were in my shoes, cheapest route, what would you go with?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
mitch808
Captain
Rep

My shoes, I wouldn't add anything to the exhaust. But thats me, I'm old and crabby.

I would entertain a modified X5M muffler.... All else stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Buy a new X and start over

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My shoes, I wouldn't add anything to the exhaust. But thats me, I'm old and crabby.

I would entertain a modified X5M muffler.... All else stock.
Hmmm, Well I suppose I'll weigh my options. Damn muffler shop, I really thought I could trust this place too > but I guess thats what I get for not going in acting like I knew mufflers like the back of my hand.

..Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Buy a new X and start over
LOL, seriously dude. I made a big mistake going through with the xpipe and res. Delete before really looking into my options. Im really hoping after I do something with the muffler it ends up how I wanted originally. If not..

-X5 4.8i for sale 70K miles "brand new exhaust work"
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
mark_tdot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi - M-Performance

Hey man, I did the exact same thing is you and I'm in the same predicament now! I was thinking about getting dual magnaflow mufflers, but not entirely sure as yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_tdot View Post
Hey man, I did the exact same thing is you and I'm in the same predicament now! I was thinking about getting dual magnaflow mufflers, but not entirely sure as yet.

Well, actually i'v decided to just go ahead and delete the entire muffler. Taking it in tomorrow morning. Im going to do quick video on a cold start as it is now with the x-pipe and res. delete, then after its been running for a bit and again after the muffler delete. If you wanna wait and see what its like to ruin your vehicle, haha JK. I really hope it turns out how I'v wanted all along.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Don't forget to take a video from inside the cabin at 65,70, 75 and 80 mph with the cruise set on the highway
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
mark_tdot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.funyuns View Post
Well, actually i'v decided to just go ahead and delete the entire muffler. Taking it in tomorrow morning. Im going to do quick video on a cold start as it is now with the x-pipe and res. delete, then after its been running for a bit and again after the muffler delete. If you wanna wait and see what its like to ruin your vehicle, haha JK. I really hope it turns out how I'v wanted all along.
I was contemplating that as well, but was worried about the drone inside the cabin.

I read somewhere else that someone kept the resonators, put in an x-pipe and deleted the mufflers...not sure if that had drone or not but they liked the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was contemplating that as well, but was worried about the drone inside the cabin.

I read somewhere else that someone kept the resonators, put in an x-pipe and deleted the mufflers...not sure if that had drone or not but they liked the sound.
well I had it done this morning, and yeah there is drone. haha, but honestly it really doesnt bother me, I still have my original resonators so in case I get sick of it I may go back and have them put back in. As far as how it sounds...Im so much happier with it. Ill be posting a video soon and link it on here.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
mark_tdot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
well I had it done this morning, and yeah there is drone. haha, but honestly it really doesnt bother me, I still have my original resonators so in case I get sick of it I may go back and have them put back in. As far as how it sounds...Im so much happier with it. Ill be posting a video soon and link it on here.
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the video

Just want to make sure it's not too loud and the drone isn't too bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Well here it is, the Video quality is horrible, I know. but for the purpose of sound and actually trying to her what it sounds like I choose to go ahead and do a second recording after the muffler delete with the same iPhone so you could get an exact comparison. I'll do a better quality video with a much higher quality camera in the near future, for now this should suffice for those who are thinking about go through with this mod. I looooooovvvveeeee the way it turned out, exactly what I was looking for. Def. alot louder then with just the res. delete and Def. some drone, but it doesnt really bother me I have my original resonators so Im thinking I may just put those back in IF i ever get tired of the drone.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the video

Just want to make sure it's not too loud and the drone isn't too bad.
Now that I'v had the work done, I have no regrets, Im assuming you have already deleted the resonators with xpipe so I mean (obviously) if I were you I'd go with the muffler delete as well. I feel like the changes arent quite permanent since I could always put the resonators back in. and the changes aren't expensive either so its easy to work with if your not happy with it.....
DDOOO IIIIITTTTT.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Had u kept the resonators there would be no drone ..my video above is just muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
y.funyuns
y.funyuns
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_DA View Post
Had u kept the resonators there would be no drone ..my video above is just muffler delete
Yeah, Unfortunately I didnt think it through when I first did the xpipe and res. delete. but like I said for now, it really doesnt bother me, but if it ever does I have my original resonators so I can just have those put back in.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
WallyM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, R63 AMG, F-450

Quote:
If you delete the mufflers you will want to keep your resonators in as they help reduce the drone.

Try putting them back in and you should loose the drone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #22
naf226
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 e70 (n52) 3.0si

I did a resonator delete/x-pipe and a secondary cat delete (my car has 4, two from the headers and two before the resonator) and I get no drone, it now growls subtly while idling and when I go up to 3k rpm it sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0