XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #23
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Thanks igorbmwx6 for the info. I started process of replacing my vacuum pump. Not only is it leaking in that area but I'm also experiencing poor brake force. There's a chance the original vacuum is not producing enough vacuum as it should.

Update:
I finished up the install of a new vacuum pump. There's not much room in that area which makes it a little difficult. Also if you're long arms and tiny hands...this job is for you unfortunately that doesn't apply to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by philly42; 10-24-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #24
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

I have oil leaking out of my turbo wastegate actuator. That oil has to be coming from the vacuum system. Is it possible that the vacuum pump is going bad and could introduce oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #25
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
I have oil leaking out of my turbo wastegate actuator. That oil has to be coming from the vacuum system. Is it possible that the vacuum pump is going bad and could introduce oil?
I don't think the cause of that oil is from the vacuum pump. To confirm this pull the small line from the vacuum pump itself and look for oil residue. Also try putting something really small through the rubber hose like a plastic coffee stirrer. Rub the inner walls of the rubber hose with it and see if there's any residue on the straw.

I suspect the oil is from crankcase ventilation system hoses or intake hoses. They above this area and could be dripping oil onto the actuator.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #26
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

phyilly42 is correct. Vacuum was fine. The wastegate actuator held vacuum. It was oil from the rest of the turbo system, which is basically an oil fountain...

I'm in the process of taking the turbos out. Anyone have a tip on removing the bolt on the heat shields next to the downpipe connection underneath? It is a really difficult to reach torx bolt...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
phyilly42 is correct. Vacuum was fine. The wastegate actuator held vacuum. It was oil from the rest of the turbo system, which is basically an oil fountain...

I'm in the process of taking the turbos out. Anyone have a tip on removing the bolt on the heat shields next to the downpipe connection underneath? It is a really difficult to reach torx bolt...
Yeah it would seem really hard to get to that bolt from the top. I lifted the car up to access the bottom heatshield bolt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #28
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Yeah it would seem really hard to get to that bolt from the top. I lifted the car up to access the bottom heatshield bolt.
What worked for me was to use a really small 1/4" combination wrench. The key is the slight angle of the closed half. You work it out 1 notch at a time. Of course I dropped my first wrench on my face twice, and the it fell into the exhaust and I had to get it out with a magnet on a stick once the cat converter was out.

I'm going to replace it with a hex head bolt.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #29
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What worked for me was to use a really small 1/4" combination wrench. The key is the slight angle of the closed half. You work it out 1 notch at a time. Of course I dropped my first wrench on my face twice, and the it fell into the exhaust and I had to get it out with a magnet on a stick once the cat converter was out.

I'm going to replace it with a hex head bolt.
I only took off the heatshield. Removing that gave me enough room to get a wrench on it. Yeah it took a while to get off by removing all the bolts working from the top. It's prob best to remove the cat to get to the bottom vacuum pump bolt from underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Cidram3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Vacumm Pump Seal Leak too burning oil type of smell

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #31
Simon6666
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i Coupe

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood it the right way: With the proper tools I will be able to change the pump without removing the lover heat shield? I am asking because I actually have no possibility to lift the car up.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #32
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

Any thoughts?

I am replacing the sael on my X5M (E70) while replacing the turbos. Has anyone had an issue getting the pump to go back in? I can get the bolts to thread but for some reason I cannot get it to realign in the hole. Their is a slot for the pump arm, that is lined up, i just cannot get this damn thing in!

Another time where a full lift would help.

Thanks Guys,
2010 Alpine White X5M || All 3 Pedals Sans X5M
alpinewhitem.com //coming soon
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #33
mg3
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i 4door Auto

This weekend I attempted to change the vacuume pump. Unfortunately I was not able to remove the downpipe heat shields. The Top E8 Bolt in the middle which clasps both heat shields was rusted, impossible to remove. I cut it with a dremel and gained some movement but was unable to remove them.

I did not remove the cat heat shields I just wanted to remove the downpipe heat shield.

Anyone who has donde this, is it possible to remove the dowpipe heat shield just by itself ??
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:22 PM   #34
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
I replaced mine while I was rebuilding the turbos. So I had a good bit of the top end torn down. I had also removed all of the plastic water shields since I was also replacing plugs and coils (see image). It was still a real pain in the a$$ of a job.

You’ll need to disconnect the passenger side down pipe to get enough room to get to one of the three pesky bolts that hold the heat shield on.
Attached Images

2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:21 PM   #35
mg3
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i 4door Auto

Yes impossible to do withought moving the heat shield or disconecting downpipie.

Even though after removing al the plastic water covers, I can reach al three bolts with my hands the middle one is covered by the heat shield and can not fit the Torx socket in place. Unfortunately had to give up. Its a pain to do with the car on rhino ramps and withough proper tools. Will have to outsource.
Appreciate 0