XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
ROGERDMILLS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 5.0i, 2020 X7M

Garage List
V8M3BIMMER...........exact same thing just happened to me. Everytime I start the car now the 'Engine Hot' indicator/message comes on, goes off about 10-15 seconds later. I just got this thing home from the Dealer on Sat, and now the first time I go to drive it - this happens. Sounds like 'another' known issue. This is getting frustrating!! Agree with you - no way I'm buying this thing after the lease expires...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #46
First Time BMW Owner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

I was driving my 2012 X5 on I-65 yesterday on my way back from Birmingham to Mobile. I was about 30 miles from home, doing about 80 when I passed a truck and got back in the right lane. Just as I got over, the engine malfunction warning came on and my speed went from 80 to 45 in about 1/2 second! Scared the daylights out of me and my 9 year old. The truck I just passed had to swerve to keep from hitting me. I pulled right off and called my husband. He told me to turn engine off and restart. Didn't work first time but I did it again for about 10 minutes and it restarted and acted normal. I took back roads home as to avoid a very long and extremely tall bridge just before Mobile. Took it to BMW today and they said there were two faulty fuel injectors and had to order new ones. Has anyone heard of such drastic reduction in speed and what are the chances the other injectors may fail later?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

^A very good chance. There's something inherently wrong with the fuel or ignition system on the N63 and probably the S63 as well.

Your speed dropping that much is weird, though. After it misfires and triggers the fault, it should only go into limp mode - it'll stumble and bog when trying to accelerate, but it shouldn't slam on the brakes for you. In the future, put the tranny in "S" mode when this happens - keeping the RPM's up by having the car gear down for you will help it chug along.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #48
Centrofly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

On my third M, two naturally aspirated (still burned oil). I believe quite a few XM's and 5.0 's are driving around with the wrong oil in them. But the injector issues seem to be getting worse which surely is ethanol related. Always fill from same gas station if possible and avoid slow pumping gas cause its probably mostly water and will totally screw up fuel related components. BMW will surely have to modify their high pressure fuel systems to accommodate this crappy ethanol. I've been using techron injector cleaner every 7500 miles and engine responds well. I think letting unknown new technicians screw with injectors and fuel system will just throw a wrench into ethanol created issues. Black pipes and rear soot are normal from these high compression engines, just make sure oil is weighted correctly so proper flow is lubricating engine correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #49
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrofly View Post
On my third M, two naturally aspirated (still burned oil). I believe quite a few XM's and 5.0 's are driving around with the wrong oil in them. But the injector issues seem to be getting worse which surely is ethanol related. Always fill from same gas station if possible and avoid slow pumping gas cause its probably mostly water and will totally screw up fuel related components. BMW will surely have to modify their high pressure fuel systems to accommodate this crappy ethanol. I've been using techron injector cleaner every 7500 miles and engine responds well. I think letting unknown new technicians screw with injectors and fuel system will just throw a wrench into ethanol created issues. Black pipes and rear soot are normal from these high compression engines, just make sure oil is weighted correctly so proper flow is lubricating engine correctly.
Fuel injectors and ignition issues have nothing to do with the oil.

Any decent gas station (ie. 99% of them in major centers) will have volume corrected fuel pumping at an adequate pressure. That's also hardly an issue.

Regarding ethanol, simply, it's not the ethanol. BMW has had injector issues since '09 on the V8 X5's and multiple part number revisions since then. Ethanol has been around for a much longer time than that, and has been made to work on almost every platform. My personal 50i was only ever filled with Shell 91 which is ethanol free. My injectors were replaced multiple times over 3 months - still misfired.

And "new techs screwing with injectors"? These are authorized BMW repair shops or dealerships replacing the parts per the FSM and with OEM replacement parts - what are you talking about??? Have you ever replaced an injectors and decoupling element? It's not rocket science and it's very hard to screw up.

Lastly, for this vehicle, black, sooty exhaust and coated bumpers is NOT normal and is an indication of misfiring.

To summarize, your whole post was nonsense aside from your suggestion to use the correct oil (which is unrelated to the misfiring issue we're all talking about).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #50
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Hey guys,

I have been reading this thread as I just picked up a 2011 X5M. I also own a 2010 e90 m3. I am the only owner to the M3 since day one. The x5m was owned by an older woman so when buying it I felt more at ease to some regards with the engine and tranny.

I bring this up as I have been in the process of paint correcting it. I noticed on the back of the vehicle a lot of discoloration/soot where the license plate would be. I have the same issue with my M3, but it is catless so it's bound to happen. I thought it was odd to see this. The more that I have been driving the car and getting more progressive with the throttle I can definitely tell there is some sort of misfiring ocurring as I had the same symptoms in my AUDI TTRS that I just traded in.

In reading this thread this leaves me wondering about the injectors. The car has 29xxx. I bought it with 28xxx. So literally just started getting the car adapted to my driving style.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #51
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3
Hey guys,

I have been reading this thread as I just picked up a 2011 X5M. I also own a 2010 e90 m3. I am the only owner to the M3 since day one. The x5m was owned by an older woman so when buying it I felt more at ease to some regards with the engine and tranny.

I bring this up as I have been in the process of paint correcting it. I noticed on the back of the vehicle a lot of discoloration/soot where the license plate would be. I have the same issue with my M3, but it is catless so it's bound to happen. I thought it was odd to see this. The more that I have been driving the car and getting more progressive with the throttle I can definitely tell there is some sort of misfiring ocurring as I had the same symptoms in my AUDI TTRS that I just traded in.

In reading this thread this leaves me wondering about the injectors. The car has 29xxx. I bought it with 28xxx. So literally just started getting the car adapted to my driving style.
I wouldn't worry. In my experience, once an injector started to go, it wasn't long before it was badly bogging, misfiring, and throwing codes. Plus, BMW won't do anything about it until you do have a CEL. I think weak injectors and spark plugs are just going to be ongoing issues for the twin turbo V8 engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #52
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

I don't have a CEL yet but I have noticed several instances of sputtering at idle and oddly when cruising on the highway it starts to shudder a bit when the rpms are between 1000 - 1500. think this is related to fuel injectors/pump?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #53
mecheng1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135iM Dinan Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrofly View Post
Please do not post nonsense on these forums. It is just distracting and annoying. Slow pumping gas? Black pipes and soot are normal with high compression engines? unknown new technicians? Pretty much everything you have posted is plain wrong.
A helpful quote: "It is better to keep quiet and let people think you a fool rather than opening your mouth and proving it beyond any shadow of a doubt."
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
cko
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Hey guys,

Soot anywhere on the rear section of the car is not normal. I had noticeable soot buildup on the lower valance of the bumper right near the exhaust tips. The car (2012 X5M) is white and would show the soot after about a week of normal driving. I took it to the dealer, they pulled the plugs, saw that 6 of the 8 were fouled and heavily carbon'ed. (sign of mis-fire) They attributed it to leaky injectors, replaced all 8. So far so good, as the problem has not evidenced itself in about 1,000 miles. If I remember correctly, the dealer reference the TSB (provided elsewhere in this thread) in the repair order.

It may be worth checking with your dealer on the matter. My car did not have a CEL, but was diagnosed and repaired under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #55
Toneaero
Private First Class
Rep

Does anybody know how much it costs to replace the injectors?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #56
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Unsure if this TSB helps:

2013 BMW X5 Technical Service Bulletin

HOME » B » BMW » X5 » 2013 » 10051419

NHTSA Item Number: 10051419
Service Bulletin #: SIB160712
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: BMW
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: X5
Model Year: 2013
Mfg Component Code: 070000 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Date of Bulletin: 2012-12-01
Date Added: 2013-03-05
Summary: BMW: SERVICE ACTION: REPLACE THE LEFT AND RIGHT FUEL LEVEL SENSOR. DUE TO HIGH PROPORTION OF ETHANOL IN THE FUEL, THE INTERNAL MECHANISMS OF THE FUEL LEVEL SENSORS MAY SWELL. THIS MAY INHIBIT THE MOVEMENT OF ONE OR BOTH OF THE FUEL LEVEL SE

This "Autosol® Metal Polish cleaner" is good, $ 9 :
Developed in 1929 for the German auto industry, this metal polish is effective on a wide range of materials including steel, stainless steel, brass, chrome and copper (not recommended for silver or anodized aluminum). Applied with a soft cloth and wiped away, it uses a fast-acting chemical reaction to remove rust and tarnish, leaving an invisible film that inhibits oxidation for months.

Replacement if required is separate issue from cleaning:

Service: Special : Fuel Injector Flush: $159

Maintain Your BMW

Recent field experiences have shown a significant increase in various drivability complaints due to excessive carbon deposits in engines' combustion chambers on the intake valves and fuel injectors. The overall increase in carbon deposit accumulation is generally attributed to poor gasoline quality; namely, a low level of cleaning additives and fuel contamination.

Combustion chamber deposit formation is a by-product of the gasoline burning process. Fuel injector and intake valve deposits may become less troublesome with the recently introduced Top Tier Detergent Gasoline deposit control standards. However, vehicles that do not exclusively use a Top Tier Detergent Gasoline or are regularly driven under sever conditions such as stop-and-go traffic, high ambient temperatures and high altitude, can experience performance problems caused by intake system and combustion chamber deposits.

The most common complaints may include:
◦Hesitation or stumble during acceleration or even loss of power
◦Poor fuel efficiency
◦Increase emissions of HC and CO
◦Check engine lamp illumination due to intermittent misfire faults or lean mixture adaptation values

BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline with a minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and with alcohol content of less than 10% by volume (or any other oxygenates with up to 2.8% of oxygen by weight). Only the exclusive use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline provides the full benefit of reducing deposit formation.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #57
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3
I've had a check engine light pop up this week so I took my X5 in for service. I've had some roughh idle and o have noticed more black soot on the exhaust surrounds. They are telling me that they found the injectors are the problem and are replacing them. Has anyone else had this? Seems kind of odd to me. I have only had this X5 since last March, although it does have 20k miles on it.
Had injectors issues less than one year ago. They replaced under warranty 4 injectors (right bank) now the car has the same problem and Im waiting for final word from dealer....very sad.......our gas quality is very poor and I will have to deal with it, by the way my car has just 23,750 miles so the first problem was on the 18k mile range...
      10-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
How common is this problem? I sure hope I don't run into this problem!
It is more common than people think. An easy way to tell is to see if the bumper area is blacken around the exhaust tip area.

Of course if you have a black car it's impossible to tell, but on white cars it is very obvious. I have seen this at least on 3-4 X5M around my area. It is not normal, after my injectors was replaced the bumper have remained clean no blacken area at all.

FWIW, when I had the issue the car drove quit fine, no stalling or MPG issues. However the car did felt under powered. It wasn't quit noticeable until after the new injectors were installed.

But the key point is that the dealer finally admitted to me that BMW had a batch of bad injectors.
So far mine is fine (X5M) but the other day a F10 M5 was in front of me and I saw black smoke coming out the left exhaust pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #59
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
What really bothers me is that my 4 others cars don't have this injector issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #60
mayann23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 35d

I just got my two fuel injector replaced today because it was smoking bad from the hood. Cost me $1390
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #61
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Don't have an x5 but I do I have brand new 550 x drive M-sport. Same N63 engine for 2014. Car had 300 miles on it when I got a drivetrain malfunction error this last Saturday. Turns out its a faulty injector. This thread started in early 2013. You would think that by 2014 they would have fixed the problem. So livid right now and very worried this is going to be a continuing problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #62
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
My X5M has had soot accumulation for months, and has been going into limp mode with greater frequency, to the point now where it is basically every time I start it. Luckily, it usually goes away after shutting it off and restarting, although yesterday it kept coming back 4 times in total I believe on the same drive. It goes in tomorrow for diagnosis. I anticipate replacing both banks of injectors and plugs. Glad the new injectors are out - I hope they resolve the problem. I delayed doing anything about it, as I was hoping I would hear about a solution, and didn't want to have to go through it twice. How many hours are involved in replacing the injectors and plugs - anyone know? How long have they kept your SAV's?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #63
sarends
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

We've had our 2011 Xdrive 5.0 since 17,000 miles. We have loved the car except for what I describe as a sensitive or twitchy throttle esp from a stop or low speeds.

We have 43,000 on the car and just threw a code while on an 1,100 mike trip this past weekend. Took it in yesterday and they are replacing all of the injectors. This has me very concerned (especially now reading this thread) that even after the replacement the car could be plagued with this for a long time to come. So, with less than 7k miles left on warranty I am (90% likely) planning to trade. I suppose I could invest in an extended warranty, but I think I'd rather use the cost of an extended warranty and place towards a different car.

Now the question, trade for what?

2013 Xdrive 5.0. 2014 X5 diesel. 2013 or 2014 Cayenne diesel

. . . Are all that might come to mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #64
BeamerandBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S63tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
We've had our 2011 Xdrive 5.0 since 17,000 miles. We have loved the car except for what I describe as a sensitive or twitchy throttle esp from a stop or low speeds.

We have 43,000 on the car and just threw a code while on an 1,100 mike trip this past weekend. Took it in yesterday and they are replacing all of the injectors. This has me very concerned (especially now reading this thread) that even after the replacement the car could be plagued with this for a long time to come. So, with less than 7k miles left on warranty I am (90% likely) planning to trade. I suppose I could invest in an extended warranty, but I think I'd rather use the cost of an extended warranty and place towards a different car.

Now the question, trade for what?

2013 Xdrive 5.0. 2014 X5 diesel. 2013 or 2014 Cayenne diesel

. . . Are all that might come to mind.
If the dealer replaced the parts, then they used BMW parts. BMW parts carry a two year warranty. If this is the only problem that you have had then I would not get rid of it.
Past BMWs;'22M850 Conv, '19 SG M5(ED 5/19),14 Ionic Silver i3, '16 S1000XR, '16 Azurite Black M5, '07 G650X-Challenge, '10 R1200GSA, '15 Mineral Gray M4, '14 S1000R,'10 Alpine White 135ia M-Sport, '13 Carbon Black X5 50i, '10 Carbon Black M5, '07 Graphite K1200GT, '08 335ia, '05 545i, '04 R1150R, '03.5 M3 Cabrio, '00 540ia, '97 M3 sedan, '97 540ia
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #65
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
My X5M has had soot accumulation for months, and has been going into limp mode with greater frequency, to the point now where it is basically every time I start it. Luckily, it usually goes away after shutting it off and restarting, although yesterday it kept coming back 4 times in total I believe on the same drive. It goes in tomorrow for diagnosis. I anticipate replacing both banks of injectors and plugs. Glad the new injectors are out - I hope they resolve the problem. I delayed doing anything about it, as I was hoping I would hear about a solution, and didn't want to have to go through it twice. How many hours are involved in replacing the injectors and plugs - anyone know? How long have they kept your SAV's?
Bro, did you have your injectors replaced? The labor hours for the injectors is est. around 13-15 hours @ $135 per hour at stealership. The cost of the parts, 8 injectors @ $1098.

Spark plugs cost $ 225 for 8 of them, the time to replace them is less than 45 minutes because the working area is good, enough for clearance. My friend did the work for me.
I think there are a lot more owners facing the same issue, it is time for me to take the bullet and replace the damn injectors.

I used the bmw ISTA-D check the parts on DME, there is no fault code storage related to the fuel injectors.

Anyone replace the new injectors yet?
This is a valuable thread

I believe most of the owners of the x5m already jump the boat
      05-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #66
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
I have a 2012 x5 5.0 with only 17,500 on the clock, and I think I'm starting to have issues related to this CCP. I've been getting "engine power reduced light" every so often, that goes away after restart, my exaust tips have black soot on them, I smell sulfur from the exhaust on during colder weather even at idle, and lately I believe the performance of the engine has reduced quite a bit.

I took the car for service back in December of 2014 and this is what they did:

• Cabin filter change at BMW dealer (2 filters)
• Brake flush
• Stored FC 2A7D Vanos solenoid Bank 2
• Performed Vanos test - OK
• Performed chain tensioner test – OK
• Oil found 2qts low – top off oil
• Clear FCs
• Recall 99BMZ0001

This was before the CCP, but so far BMW has not contacted me regarding it. All the problems still persist, and I have scheduled an appointment to take it for service on May 15th. Hope it will be more useful this time around.

Look at the amount of soot on my exhaust tips, and this is only 17,500 miles, always fuel up with premium.

Appreciate 0