XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
rlteee
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70

Whirring/whining noise from engine. Help!

This whirring noise started about two months ago and only noticed it on cold start ups and went away. As the days past, the whirring got more noticeable. This past week is when it started whirring when i would accelerate or decelerate. Now the whirring is pretty loud on idle. Ive looked at other post about bad pulleys, but this doesn't sound like it. I popped the hood open today and it sounds like its coming from the center of the engine, right below the oil fill cap is.Thats where i think the noise could be coming from.... Any help would be great?

I uploaded a recording of the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYp0Nyb_S8
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
rlteee
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70

I did my own investigating and found out it was the idler pulley. I removed the belts and spun each pulley and you could clearly tell that was the problem. Because my car has rear ac and traction control, the auto parts store quoted me $75 for the part. I will replace it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0