XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
idrivex5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35D

EGR delete

Im told I need a new EGR cooler and vacuum actuator. If I do the EGR "paperclip" delete will that take care of both? Or are these different things? Will I need a tune? Any concerns? (sorry, I'm new to these things and worry I will mess something else up unintentionally)

Thank you.
Rob

2012 X5 35d
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
idrivex5
Registered
Rep

Can anyone tell me about this? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivex5 View Post
Im told I need a new EGR cooler and vacuum actuator. If I do the EGR "paperclip" delete will that take care of both? Or are these different things? Will I need a tune? Any concerns? (sorry, I'm new to these things and worry I will mess something else up unintentionally)

Thank you.
Rob

2012 X5 35d
Question, is your cooler actually leaking? or is it just the vacuum valve?

The EGR cooler has the vacuum actuator on it and is available aftermarket made by BEHR (OE supplier) if you do not want to spend the full $500-$600 for a OE cooler.

What I remember from the "paperclip" mod was that you WILL have a light on your dash unless you get a tune that specifically removes the EGR function. But, if you are going with a tune many offer a stage 1or 2 tune and can remove the EGR function with that tune. I looked into that, but am going full deletes soon anyway...and I replaced the cooler anyway.

Going back to any concerns with the paperclip method, again from my own research and memory, was that keeping the cooler in its place was going to cause issues. BUT even that was debated on the forums and if I were going to do that method, I would have kept it intact. You could also use those EGR cooler removal kits that have plugs and stuff to remove the cooler.

Many have done the method from what I've seen with no issues.
      04-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:

Thank you.
Rob

2012 X5 35d
If your egr cooler is leaking the paper clip method will not work. The paperclip method closes the cold side of the egr cooler so the hot side will still be feeding into the egr cooler. What can be done is A) you can buy an egr race pipe, completely remove the egr cooler, block off the exhaust side, plug the coolant lines, and leave the egr valve plugged in and zip tied off to the side. B) you can buy egr block off plates, install those of the hot and cold side.

Both those options will be less than replacing the egr cooler as far as the vacuum actuator I'm not sure if eliminating it completely in stock form will cause codes. Worst case keep it connected and zip tie that out of the way also.

If the vacuum actuator is bad it's fairly cheap to replace yourself the name for it is "EUV". Just be careful removing the vacuum hose as it might be brittle. Might as well buy some vacuum hose just incase.
      04-19-2020, 12:25 AM   #5
idrivex5
Registered
Rep

I'm told (BMW dealer) that the valve inside the EGR is stuck open. They want $1,700 to replace. I don't believe its leaking but its setting off the dash light. Thank you both for your help. Trying to find the best way to deal with this since I plan on keeping this vehicle for several years.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
I'm told (BMW dealer) that the valve inside the EGR is stuck open. They want $1,700 to replace. I don't believe its leaking but its setting off the dash light. Thank you both for your help. Trying to find the best way to deal with this since I plan on keeping this vehicle for several years.
In that case you can still do either of those mods. If it really is stuck open you could forcibly move it to the closed position and to the paperclip delete. But I don't recommend keeping it that way. Egr block off plates are cheap about $75. The egr race pipe is the best choice in my opinion... gives you a ton of space in the front of the engine