XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Code out comfort access door handles?

Is there a way we can disable/code out the comfort access door handles?

I believe mine are causing my frequent battery low /discharge message. I've searched forms and others have had this happen as well. If I can't code it out, I could just unplug them.

If it is possible, what parameter needs to be changed?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Just unplug the CA antenna
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Just unplug the CA antenna

Yeah I've seen that video but I rather code it out if possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

You probably have to do both. Physically remove the cable, to stop the battery drain, then code the feature out.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
spurcap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 2012 x5 35d

can't confirm and just theory but I doubt the coding would prevent the sensor from getting power and only would prevent the car from reacting to the sensor input. I.e. when working your sensor would still tell the computer it sensed an input, the coding would just result in the computer deciding to do nothing as an output rather than lock or unlock door...

in the case with a broken sensor I am guessing the power drain from the inappropriate inputs or semiopen circuit (incremental draw not enough to blow fuse) would remain.

I just unplugged mine and fixed the drain issue, now trying to track down a replacement...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcap View Post
can't confirm and just theory but I doubt the coding would prevent the sensor from getting power and only would prevent the car from reacting to the sensor input. I.e. when working your sensor would still tell the computer it sensed an input, the coding would just result in the computer deciding to do nothing as an output rather than lock or unlock door...

in the case with a broken sensor I am guessing the power drain from the inappropriate inputs or semiopen circuit (incremental draw not enough to blow fuse) would remain.

I just unplugged mine and fixed the drain issue, now trying to track down a replacement...
Did unplugging it cause any codes/errors?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
spurcap
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 2012 x5 35d

no. unplugging it didn't cause any issues. haven't pulled codes to see if the disconnected handle threw a code but if my handle is disconnected and there is a code that says my handle isn't working that doesn't bother me. I would just clear it when and if I can replace.

there is no 'active' response to the unplugged handle on idrive or the dash like there is for a burnt out taillight or high battery drain
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcap View Post
no. unplugging it didn't cause any issues. haven't pulled codes to see if the disconnected handle threw a code but if my handle is disconnected and there is a code that says my handle isn't working that doesn't bother me. I would just clear it when and if I can replace.

there is no 'active' response to the unplugged handle on idrive or the dash like there is for a burnt out taillight or high battery drain
Cool thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #9
tonyhawk
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i e93 msport

just created an account to reply to this so i can share my success. i got a 2011 328i e93 LCI with comfort access. replaced my OEM VRLA battery. it was 8 years old so it's time it was replaced. lucky to have it for this long considering it's got a lot of electronics to power (especially the convertible roof)

at the dealer, they told me that although i have a new battery, something within the CAS is draining power. put my hand on the left side of the door handle (furthest from the cylinder lock) and it was super hot. not good. figured that's what was draining the battery. didn't want to pay $500-600 for a new handle. i can do without the comfort access on the driver's door handle.

my goal was to remove the power connector to the handle to prevent the handle from draining the battery while preserving the integrity of the comfort access system.

so i watched a video on how to remove and replace the handle. all i had to do was remove the handle, cylinder lock and then disconnect the cable that connects to the door handle and then wrap the connector with electrical tape to shield it from moisture, dirt, water...

replaced the door handle while leaving the cable disconnected. door LED lamp illuminated fine when opening the door/unlocking with key. vehicle locks/unlocks with cylinder lock. door properly opens after pulling handle. passenger side door handle comfort access works as well as the trunk door handle. convertible top module responds to the intelligent key's comfort access to open and close the top with the engine off.

before removing the cable, my OBD2 scanner spat out this error code for keyless/CA system: A097
this error code relates to the door handle messing up the CAS. it's a known issue. handle gets messed up and draws power anyway.

after removing the cable and reinstalling the same door handle...i went driving it around and restarting the engine. did another OBD2 scanner read...and i no longer receive the A097 code.

personally, this beats buying a new handle...or buying a used one and hoping it doesn't have that issue.

hope this helps anyone. here's the two videos that i used to remove and reinstall my door handle. the second video shows the LED light more clearly in case yours falls out.

Last edited by tonyhawk; 12-13-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2020, 01:39 AM   #10
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhawk View Post
just created an account to reply to this so i can share my success. i got a 2011 328i e93 LCI with comfort access. replaced my OEM VRLA battery. it was 8 years old so it's time it was replaced. lucky to have it for this long considering it's got a lot of electronics to power (especially the convertible roof)

at the dealer, they told me that although i have a new battery, something within the CAS is draining power. put my hand on the left side of the door handle (furthest from the cylinder lock) and it was super hot. not good. figured that's what was draining the battery. didn't want to pay $500-600 for a new handle. i can do without the comfort access on the driver's door handle.

my goal was to remove the power connector to the handle to prevent the handle from draining the battery while preserving the integrity of the comfort access system.

so i watched a video on how to remove and replace the handle. all i had to do was remove the handle, cylinder lock and then disconnect the cable that connects to the door handle and then wrap the connector with electrical tape to shield it from moisture, dirt, water...

replaced the door handle while leaving the cable disconnected. door LED lamp illuminated fine when opening the door/unlocking with key. vehicle locks/unlocks with cylinder lock. door properly opens after pulling handle. passenger side door handle comfort access works as well as the trunk door handle. convertible top module responds to the intelligent key's comfort access to open and close the top with the engine off.

before removing the cable, my OBD2 scanner spat out this error code for keyless/CA system: A097
this error code relates to the door handle messing up the CAS. it's a known issue. handle gets messed up and draws power anyway.

after removing the cable and reinstalling the same door handle...i went driving it around and restarting the engine. did another OBD2 scanner read...and i no longer receive the A097 code.

personally, this beats buying a new handle...or buying a used one and hoping it doesn't have that issue.

hope this helps anyone. here's the two videos that i used to remove and reinstall my door handle. the second video shows the LED light more clearly in case yours falls out.

So you still have it connected though?
Appreciate 0