XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
superstar95
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Angry 2012 X5 xDrive50i Disaster!

Hi all,

On October 10th, I purchased a 2012 X5 xDrive50i with ~89,500 on it. For the first 2 weeks I had it, the car was perfect, for its age and condition -- it was running well. But, since then I've put around 6 quarts of oil in it and topped up the coolant 2-4 times. I have also spent $850 replacing the cylinder 3 ignition coil after an Engine Malfunction (operating at reduced power) warning, as well as the clamps on the antifreeze lines that run to the turbos for a leak and burning. Since these repairs, my engine still burns & leaks oil/ coolant at a rapid rate and produces a permanent burning smell and occasional smoke from under the engine cover. I am well aware of the N63 oil consumption. My local dealership quoted me a number the equivalent to what I spent on the car to repair everything wrong with the engine. Or, they said I could consider putting a new engine in it for much less of a cost (which I would be highly interested in if it would be smart). Fewer miles on the engine, no leaks or burning, and a warranty sound great to me. I really love my car and I don't want to get rid of it.

My question is, has anyone replaced the N63 in their X5 for similar reasons and had a good experience? Is it smart and a good option? Any feedback, advice, commentary etc. is welcome
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

At 89k miles, BMW should cover most of the cost for engine replacement. Search the forums and web, lots of information about the class action lawsuit against BMW. I would go this route and get a new engine.

If for some reason you are denied or decide to repair yourself, then you most likely have clogged turbo oil return lines if you have burned 6 quarts In a month. You also most likely have a shot turbo oil return cover and bad cylinder head to cylinder head coolant line. Parts will run you around 500, labor will be 2-3k at Indy shop. If you are a DIY'er, it's actually not a bad job, just time consuming. If you get a new engine, make sure they replace your turbo oil return lines and don't reuse them.

I would really push for a new engine though, in another 10-20k miles your valve guide seals will be shot, 150 dollars in parts and 6 to 8 grand in labor! (Or about 50-60 hours if you do it yourself)

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 11-26-2020 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

One of the other 50i owners here just had his engine replaced by the dealer, and with all of the other parts that were replaced and labor, ended up spending just under $4K I recall. so for a new engine and peace of mind, it sounds like a pretty good scenario.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
superstar95
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
One of the other 50i owners here just had his engine replaced by the dealer, and with all of the other parts that were replaced and labor, ended up spending just under $4K I recall. so for a new engine and peace of mind, it sounds like a pretty good scenario.
Just under $4K for a new engine from a dealer sounds incredible, thanks for sharing that info! I really need some peace of mind in my life.. ugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
superstar95
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
At 89k miles, BMW should cover most of the cost for engine replacement. Search the forums and web, lots of information about the class action lawsuit against BMW. I would go this route and get a new engine.

If for some reason you are denied or decide to repair yourself, then you most likely have clogged turbo oil return lines if you have burned 6 quarts In a month. You also most likely have a shot turbo oil return cover and bad cylinder head to cylinder head coolant line. Parts will run you around 500, labor will be 2-3k at Indy shop. If you are a DIY'er, it's actually not a bad job, just time consuming. If you get a new engine, make sure they replace your turbo oil return lines and don't reuse them.

I would really push for a new engine though, in another 10-20k miles your valve guide seals will be shot, 150 dollars in parts and 6 to 8 grand in labor! (Or about 50-60 hours if you do it yourself)
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! Any idea where I should start looking to figure out if I can get BMW to pay for the replacement? According to the service advisor who helped me at the dealership, none of the class action lawsuits help me out. I've already done some hefty Googling too and nothing seems to stand out to me as something that would help. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
digitys
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

2012 50i

I brought my car in for an oil leak, ended up being the turbo feed lines and the casing. They said 3700 to fix the problem or 4k for a new engine that BMW would sponsor due to the lawsuit (that would cover the leaky lines as well as its easy to replace them when its out).

Totally recommend bringing it to BMW. I was pissed when their suggestion was to replace the engine but for 4k, its a brand new car (kinda).

I think they base how much BMW will kick in on how many miles you have on it. I had about 70k.

The car was gone for about 3 weeks in total, so be prepared for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Few months ago there was a poster here from New Jersey who I recommended to go to BMW Lancaster, PA.
He was offered a new engine in lieu of valve stem seals replacement, and this fruit cake thought he was being skimmed.
Some guys are just too stupid.
I would advise to try BMW of Lancaster, PA.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
superstar95
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitys View Post
I brought my car in for an oil leak, ended up being the turbo feed lines and the casing. They said 3700 to fix the problem or 4k for a new engine that BMW would sponsor due to the lawsuit (that would cover the leaky lines as well as its easy to replace them when its out).

Totally recommend bringing it to BMW. I was pissed when their suggestion was to replace the engine but for 4k, its a brand new car (kinda).

I think they base how much BMW will kick in on how many miles you have on it. I had about 70k.

The car was gone for about 3 weeks in total, so be prepared for that.
My dealership quoted me approximately $12,650 (yes, you read that correctly) to fix all of the issues wrong with my engine. The problems range from worn out antifreeze turbo lines to leaking main seals to a leaking oil pan gasket. They quoted me around $3,700 for the new engine alone + an undetermined amount for parts/labor. I haven't reached out to them since the car's diagnosis because I don't know what to do. Should I contact the dealer and tell them that I want them to sponsor the engine? I'd be willing to pay $1-3K for parts and labor, I just feel that I shouldn't have to pay for replacing an engine that only has 90K miles on it. The car itself is in really good shape. Sorry for the novel!

Last edited by superstar95; 12-02-2020 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
superstar95
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Few months ago there was a poster here from New Jersey who I recommended to go to BMW Lancaster, PA.
He was offered a new engine in lieu of valve stem seals replacement, and this fruit cake thought he was being skimmed.
Some guys are just too stupid.
I would advise to try BMW of Lancaster, PA.
Wish I could visit them! But I'm about 200 miles away from Lancaster. Did the poster from NJ have good luck getting his engine replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar95 View Post
Wish I could visit them! But I'm about 200 miles away from Lancaster. Did the poster from NJ have good luck getting his engine replaced?
Never heard of him again; unless he sees this post and turns up again to let us know what he did to his X5
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My dealership quoted me approximately $12,650 (yes, you read that correctly) to fix all of the issues wrong with my engine. The problems range from worn out antifreeze turbo lines to leaking main seals to a leaking oil pan gasket. They quoted me around $3,700 for the new engine alone + an undetermined amount for parts/labor. I haven't reached out to them since the car's diagnosis because I don't know what to do. Should I contact the dealer and tell them that I want them to sponsor the engine? I'd be willing to pay $1-3K for parts and labor, I just feel that I shouldn't have to pay for replacing an engine that only has 90K miles on it. The car itself is in really good shape. Sorry for the novel!
When you get the new engine, it will be much less cost to you as you have only 90k miles. The offer is up to 120k mikes, pro rated.
They will also replace all the blocked lines and seals and gaskets.
For 2-3 k $$ out of pocket , you will get a new engine .The guys at Lancaster are reasonable. They are not in a very upscale area like Virginia
You will also get a latest X5 as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #12
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:

One suggestion is to get a warranty from a company like Car Shield. They don't even require a mechanical inspection. I got one, as I'm in Canada, and there is no such thing as getting a warranty from a 3rd party after a private purchase, never mind any warranty at a reasonable price, (as the market is like less than 10% of the USA). It has a max payout of $15K USD tho. But, a rebuilt or used motor would be probably around that price, so may be worth it. I also used up about $11K on it for repairs so far in the last 2 years that I had it, and pretty much everything is covered on it that I've had go wrong. I spent $4K to purchase it outright for 3 years / 36K miles. So, it's 100% worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
^^^^^

Most, if not all, warranty companies will not cover pre-existing conditions. Even if they do not do a mechanical inspection upon signing of the warranty contract, they will make that determination when the claim is filed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
^^^^^

Most, if not all, warranty companies will not cover pre-existing conditions. Even if they do not do a mechanical inspection upon signing of the warranty contract, they will make that determination when the claim is filed.
It worked for me. The people at the dealer are not that smart, and they will try to get it approved as they want the business.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
^^^^
It may or may not work and depends on the warranty company.
Appreciate 0