XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Question One of the exhaust NOT WORKING !

Hello guys ! Sorry for any inconvenience and for my English lol
I need some help
I got 2012 X6 3.5 (New Jersey), I have recently noticed that my right side exhaust not working ! I mean looks like sometimes working sometimes not. is getting dirty around (not inside)...But today at night (it was cold) I start up the engine, and I saw exhaust smoke coming out only through the left side. ....I test... I drive 30-40 min and when I come back I touched both of them, the left was hot, the right was cold (not hot)

my exhaust looks like this:

On real pictures:

Right side

left side

middle

What's going on ? It's only my car like that ? If you see right side exhaust got some "sensor" and some tampion :

Any ideas gentleman's? Maybe I need to take out something ? or BMW once again did some delirium? (protection from exhaust gases?)
BEST REGARDS !!!!!!!

Last edited by GoodGuyAvi; 12-03-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

This is normal by design, the right side will only open at higher RPMs. No worries.
      12-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
This is normal by design, the right side will only open at higher RPMs. No worries.
Oh got it! Thank you for helping! !!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
He is right. on the 35i model, the sensor and damper on the right side exaust pipe will remain closed/off until you hit about 2 RPM or higher. Only then will both exaust pipes emit smoke. Nothing is wrong with your car.

If you want both pipes to "smoke", you can adjust the damper by keeping it open all the time if you choose. I did this with an ordinary wire hanger by using it to hold the damper in the open position, but only left it like that for about 3-4 months. After that i just cut the wire hanger to put everthing back to normal. i did not experience any problems with this procedure.
      12-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
He is right. on the 35i model, the sensor and damper on the right side exaust pipe will remain closed/off until you hit about 2 RPM or higher. Only then will both exaust pipes emit smoke. Nothing is wrong with your car.

If you want both pipes to "smoke", you can adjust the damper by keeping it open all the time if you choose. I did this with an ordinary wire hanger by using it to hold the damper in the open position, but only left it like that for about 3-4 months. After that i just cut the wire hanger to put everthing back to normal. i did not experience any problems with this procedure.
lol samurai thank you ! you always here
but you cut the wire hanger to put everthing back ?
Some abnormal things?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
lol samurai thank you ! you always here
but you cut the wire hanger to put everthing back ?
Some abnormal things?
that is why we are here my friend. Trust me, as i'm sure you have already seen for yourself, this forum is a great source of knowledge and information regarding our cars. As for me cutting the wire, to be honest, i did not experience any problems when I had the wire in place to keep the damper open. I only cut it because when it was brought to my attention that the damper opens and closes when necessary, there was not need for me to keep it open full time IMHO.

Although it has been said on this forum that the valve remains closed in order to provide back pressure, and it is in place as a necessity for the cars performance, I have never experienced any problems with performance when I kept the valve open.

Kepping the valve open does make the car smoke from both tail pipes and gives it somewhat of a more aggressive sound, but either way, you car will run the same.

I agree with you, and a few others on this forum, I think both pipes should be functioning full time. Some have gone as far as to have their 35i exaust pipes and rear bumper to be retro fitted with the 50i setup to fix this issue, but the wire hanger is a much less expensive way to get the same result... unless of course you redo your entire exaust system. Then of course for tTHAT amount of money, we all might as well have gotten the 50i instead of the 35i, lol
      12-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
that is why we are here my friend. Trust me, as i'm sure you have already seen for yourself, this forum is a great source of knowledge and information regarding our cars. As for me cutting the wire, to be honest, i did not experience any problems when I had the wire in place to keep the damper open. I only cut it because when it was brought to my attention that the damper opens and closes when necessary, there was not need for me to keep it open full time IMHO.

Although it has been said on this forum that the valve remains closed in order to provide back pressure, and it is in place as a necessity for the cars performance, I have never experienced any problems with performance when I kept the valve open.

Kepping the valve open does make the car smoke from both tail pipes and gives it somewhat of a more aggressive sound, but either way, you car will run the same.

I agree with you, and a few others on this forum, I think both pipes should be functioning full time. Some have gone as far as to have their 35i exaust pipes and rear bumper to be retro fitted with the 50i setup to fix this issue, but the wire hanger is a much less expensive way to get the same result... unless of course you redo your entire exaust system. Then of course for tTHAT amount of money, we all might as well have gotten the 50i instead of the 35i, lol
hahahahah yes you totally right, and thank you so much for helping samurai !
But nice sound is very cool future especially in x6
If i will go to bmw dealership to add the wire hanger? can they help me?, or they will kick my butt with my idea ?

Last edited by GoodGuyAvi; 12-05-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvetNY View Post
hahahahah yes you totally right, and thank you so much for helping samurai !
But nice sound is very cool future especially in x6
If i will go to bmw dealership to add the wire hanger? can they help me?, or they will kick my butt with my idea ?
LOL, they may kick your but for asking but there is no need to go to them, It is a simple DIY that will take you about 5 mins.

If you want to do it, here is how...
1: make sure your car has been off for a while to avoid being burned bu a hot exaust pipe.
2: go under the right side rear of the car and locat the "arm" that opens the valve. i noticed you took a pic of it so you alrady know where it is.
3:You can manipulate the arm with your hand with little effort, so use your hand to move it to the open position.
4:take an ordinary, household wire hanger that you can get from the dry cleaners, and cut it so you have about 8 inches of wire hanger.
5:Bend the piece you have around the "arm" you are holding in the open position then with a pair of pliers, just twist the wire until it holds the arm in the open postion.

It will hold it open and you will notice the sound will be more aggressive, and it will emit smoke from both sides. And if you ever choose to make it normal again, you can simply cut the wire hanger to release the arm and noone will notice the difference.

Let me know how it turns out if you do it! Like I said, i had it open for a few months, but cut it off only because i leave for work very early in the morning, and felt kinda guilty when i let my car warm up in the driveway right under my neighbor's window! lol
      12-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
LOL, they may kick your but for asking but there is no need to go to them, It is a simple DIY that will take you about 5 mins.

If you want to do it, here is how...
1: make sure your car has been off for a while to avoid being burned bu a hot exaust pipe.
2: go under the right side rear of the car and locat the "arm" that opens the valve. i noticed you took a pic of it so you alrady know where it is.
3:You can manipulate the arm with your hand with little effort, so use your hand to move it to the open position.
4:take an ordinary, household wire hanger that you can get from the dry cleaners, and cut it so you have about 8 inches of wire hanger.
5:Bend the piece you have around the "arm" you are holding in the open position then with a pair of pliers, just twist the wire until it holds the arm in the open postion.

It will hold it open and you will notice the sound will be more aggressive, and it will emit smoke from both sides. And if you ever choose to make it normal again, you can simply cut the wire hanger to release the arm and noone will notice the difference.

Let me know how it turns out if you do it! Like I said, i had it open for a few months, but cut it off only because i leave for work very early in the morning, and felt kinda guilty when i let my car warm up in the driveway right under my neighbor's window! lol
hahahahaahah
I will do probably tonight after work, or on weekends :P
Thank you for everything !
(im working in dermatology office let me know if you need something )
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Thanks alot AvetNY. let me know if you have anymore questions before or after you do the modification to your exaust pipe. take care and drive safe!