XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Factory exhaust mod

I posted in the x5 but no response so let me try my luck here.

I noticed there is a nice deeper exhaust sound when the \"M\" button is pressed, I am curious if is because the vaccum controlled valve opens to allow more exhaust flow.

Have anyone tried just to disconnect the vaccum and plug up the hose and then tie wrap the valve open all the time?

Normally the valve is closed thus giving the car a quieter note.

There would be no lack of back pressure issue since this is a turbo charged engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
reihani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
I posted in the x5 but no response so let me try my luck here.

I noticed there is a nice deeper exhaust sound when the \"M\" button is pressed, I am curious if is because the vaccum controlled valve opens to allow more exhaust flow.

Have anyone tried just to disconnect the vaccum and plug up the hose and then tie wrap the valve open all the time?

Normally the valve is closed thus giving the car a quieter note.

There would be no lack of back pressure issue since this is a turbo charged engine.
there is a post on here on how to do a simple upgrade to ur x5m/x6m exhaust. from what i remember, the valve can be easily removed and it does give a much deeper sound but the guy who did this ( and its really easy to do just need a screw driver) reversed the job because he was loosing low end torque. honestly, don't bother modifying the stock, the sound is not great bit when ur in sport mode for gear changes it makes a pretty sick sound around 6000rpm. U want to have a crazy loud M car, get the eisenmanns. if u want a "loud" car get meisterschaft (cheaper too) and if u want great performance get the akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihani View Post
there is a post on here on how to do a simple upgrade to ur x5m/x6m exhaust. from what i remember, the valve can be easily removed and it does give a much deeper sound but the guy who did this ( and its really easy to do just need a screw driver) reversed the job because he was loosing low end torque. honestly, don't bother modifying the stock, the sound is not great bit when ur in sport mode for gear changes it makes a pretty sick sound around 6000rpm. U want to have a crazy loud M car, get the eisenmanns. if u want a "loud" car get meisterschaft (cheaper too) and if u want great performance get the akrapovic.
I was the guy who did the screw driver job, but at the end, I reversed the job and use the M button which does exactly the same job, I just programmed the M function button to open the valve and keep the suspension in the comfort mode, streets in Costa Rica are rough, so I don't like the sport mode for the suspension, I use it only when I know I will drive "spirited"

I was thinking also on an aftermarket exhaust but not sure yet
Appreciate 0