XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
What do you think about this project?

Hey Guys,
Since I got my X6M I never liked the OEM wheels, they are just average......so today I made a crazy thing, I took a can of black spary paint and painted the 2 right side wheels just to see how the car would look like.

On first hand, I do like it, also I have a second choice color which is gun metal instead of black ( like model #215 from BMW)

The wheels will be powder-coated, this is just a test, so just wanted to get your opinion

Bernie

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

I think it looks great! In fact, I've already done just that. I had my wheels powdercoated in a "semi-gloss" black (not shiny, but not a flat matte either) an am really pleased with the result. I looked at lots of wheel options (Vorsteiner, HRE, BMW, etc.) but couldn't decide (yet). In the meantime, these wheels look great IMHO, and really make the car a lot appear even more aggressive. I've also added the Vorsteiner diffuser, front lip, BMW rear spoiler and fins, Dinan exhaust/suspension/software, and black cosmetic touches throughout. The painting the wheels was the easiest upgrade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Nice!
Do you think textured mate black will be a pain you know where...?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Nice!
Do you think textured mate black will be a pain you know where...?
Not sure. Maebe for chips, scratches and touchups. I considered a textured matte finish also, but saw some matte wheels close up and did not like the overall effect as they seemed a bit too dull against the shiny paint of the car body. if you do go matte, I would opt for a grayish finish for a little more contrast with the tires. I actually like the factory wheels A LOT more since the powder coat.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
I do have a style #214 wheel in my office painted in textured mate black, looks great in my office, check the first picture below. The second picture below was taken from my former X630d which was a semi-glossy "pavon" black, if you see closely, the color is not 100% black, it is kind of industrial super dark gray, depending on the light it receives it looks totally black ( see third picture below)

This is a textured mate black ( powder coated) wheel

This is the semi-gloss "pavon-black" from my former X6 30d

This is the same "pavon-black" picture with less light on it
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

With our dark wheel finishes, the lighting really makes an impact. Of the two you show, I prefer the "pavon-black" over the textured matte.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
USMC562
Rep
Drives: 10' E71 50i /// 11' F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess///M View Post
I think it looks great! In fact, I've already done just that. I had my wheels powdercoated in a "semi-gloss" black (not shiny, but not a flat matte either) an am really pleased with the result. I looked at lots of wheel options (Vorsteiner, HRE, BMW, etc.) but couldn't decide (yet). In the meantime, these wheels look great IMHO, and really make the car a lot appear even more aggressive. I've also added the Vorsteiner diffuser, front lip, BMW rear spoiler and fins, Dinan exhaust/suspension/software, and black cosmetic touches throughout. The painting the wheels was the easiest upgrade.

MCRD!!!! Brings back memories.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Sorry, but I really don't know why people think this looks good? I don't care what color car it is, but black painted wheels would never be my choice when there are so many other ways to go. You cannot distinguish the tires from the wheel. Wheels should be a focal point and when they are black it loses this IMO. On three piece wheels, a black center can look OK, as long as the rim is polished or chrome IMO. Of course this is a personal opinion and to each his own. I don't like matte black either as a body color.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With our dark wheel finishes, the lighting really makes an impact. Of the two you show, I prefer the "pavon-black" over the textured matte.
I will post my final decision later this week, thanks for great feedback!
Bernie
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC562 View Post
MCRD!!!! Brings back memories.
It's a truly special place. I live really close and go often.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a truly special place. I live really close and go often.
Decision taken, I'm painting my wheels in semi-gloss black with regular paint, the onlye person who does powder coating does not have pure black, just the pavon black and Im afraid it will look weird against the glossy black of my car's color, so car is at the shop right now, hope I will post the final pics by Thursday

by the way, what's "MCRD" stands for ?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Decision taken, I'm painting my wheels in semi-gloss black with regular paint, the onlye person who does powder coating does not have pure black, just the pavon black and Im afraid it will look weird against the glossy black of my car's color, so car is at the shop right now, hope I will post the final pics by Thursday

by the way, what's "MCRD" stands for ?
Great! I think that you'll really like them once you see them on your X6.

"MCRD" is the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego. It's been around since 1927 (or so), is still a full time training center as well as a designated historic place, and has appeared in several films (Top Gun, Eyes Open Ears Click, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Go it !
Top Gun....one of my favorite movies for sure
Appreciate 0