XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

How well do the X5\'s with sport package handle winter?

I'm about to order a new X5 and am wondering how the Dunlops used in the sport package would handle light snow or ice. I live in Arkansas so we may get 4 or 5 bad days of snow or ice a year. I don't want to have to do a second set of tires for winter. I know how summer tires are in the winter but since it's AWD I'm wondering if that would suffice? I plan on switching to all season when the Dunlops wear out but I at least want them to get me by until they need replaced. Thanks in advance
      06-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Most say they suck in winter. Even for Charlotte, I took no chances and put on winter Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. I had no concerns heading into the WV mountains over Christmas and handled the snow and ice days in Charlotte incredibly well.

It may seem like an unecessary expense but will actually prolong the life of the summer tires. The downside is spending 2 days a year in a tire shop waiting room, and the possibility of them scratching the rims while changing out the tires. I may get dedicated winter wheels but haven't so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I'm about to order a new X5 and am wondering how the Dunlops used in the sport package would handle light snow or ice. I live in Arkansas so we may get 4 or 5 bad days of snow or ice a year. I don't want to have to do a second set of tires for winter. I know how summer tires are in the winter but since it's AWD I'm wondering if that would suffice? I plan on switching to all season when the Dunlops wear out but I at least want them to get me by until they need replaced. Thanks in advance
I'm a huge advocate of snow tires - but for locations where it gets colder - with snow/ice...Summer rubber/20's won't cut it during those conditions. Hell, I hated my All Season 19's in those conditions. I got rid of them within 2 weeks of taking delivery of my 011 Diesel.

That said, I personally would be hard-pressed to buy a dedicated set of snows living in Little Rock..Do you have another vehicle you can drive during those few ice/snow days? Or maybe keep an eye out for a a great deal on a pre-owned set

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 06-21-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Quote:
I'm a huge advocate of snow tires - but for locations where it gets colder - with snow/ice...Summer rubber/20's won't cut it during those conditions. Hell, I hated my All Season 19's in those conditions. I got rid of them within 2 weeks of taking delivery of my 011 Diesel.

That said, I personally would be hard-pressed to buy a dedicated set of snows living in Little Rock..Do you have another vehicle you can drive during those few ice/snow days? Or maybe keep an eye out for a a great deal on a pre-owned set
No this is the vehicle I'm purchasing for those couple of bad days. I have a 335 right now that is useless in the winter even with snow cables! How much are the 20" snow tires for the sport pkg, or do u have to drop down to a 19" wheel?
      06-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Quote:

My other question is do I get a 35d or a 35i. I like both. My concern is diesel prices rising an if their is more maintenance involved. Have you driven both ? And what are the 's with the diesel over petrol?
      06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
My other question is do I get a 35d or a 35i. I like both. My concern is diesel prices rising an if their is more maintenance involved. Have you driven both ? And what are the 's with the diesel over petrol?
I got a 35d. Diesel in my area is roughly the same as premium gas. The only "more" maintenance involved is the urea additive for the emissions. It's included / refilled with oil changes so you're covered for that when it's still under warranty.

A gallon refill of the urea runs about $6 at oreilly's or advance auto parts. Dealers are asking assinine amounts of money for the same thing ($50 a bottle).

I liked the torque in the Diesel and the added efficiency of the diesel made it a no brainer for me. I get about 28mpg on the hwy doing about 80mph. Mixed city driving, it's about 23mpg. The only downside that I can see people possibly not liking is the engine noise. Other than that, I like it...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
mpriceii
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black/Black E92 M3

Bought a new '11 X5D in Jan. Sport package/20" wheels/tires, etc etc. Took delivery at PC in South Carolina. At end of 1,200 mile trip home to Dallas, we got stuck in "Snowmageddon 2011" Huge ice storm and 7+" snowstorm. Basically entire northern part of Texas was shut down for 5+ days. We got to drive our brand new X5 thru over 100 miles of solid ice. At night. Basically only ones on road. I felt like it would have gone 50 the whole way if I wanted too. Amazing traction, stability and even stopping ability. With the monster 20" steamroller tires. The next several days we drove all over town in 7+" of snow. Truck felt like a 4wd Tahoe with BFG All_terrain tires on it.......again, with the summer sport 20" tires.....

So this is just my two cents, but I would NEVER blow the money and aggravation of snow tires for the few days a year you might use them if you live in the south. I prob wouldn't even buy them if I lived somewhere where it snowed 10-15+ days a year. Don't know if it was the weight and torque of the Diesel or just all the traction/stability/abs/DSC/etc etc on that tuck, but it drove in ice and snow better than any other vehicle I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpriceii View Post
Bought a new '11 X5D in Jan. Sport package/20" wheels/tires, etc etc. Took delivery at PC in South Carolina. At end of 1,200 mile trip home to Dallas, we got stuck in "Snowmageddon 2011" Huge ice storm and 7 " snowstorm. Basically entire northern part of Texas was shut down for 5 days. We got to drive our brand new X5 thru over 100 miles of solid ice. At night. Basically only ones on road. I felt like it would have gone 50 the whole way if I wanted too. Amazing traction, stability and even stopping ability. With the monster 20" steamroller tires. The next several days we drove all over town in 7 " of snow. Truck felt like a 4wd Tahoe with BFG All_terrain tires on it.......again, with the summer sport 20" tires.....

So this is just my two cents, but I would NEVER blow the money and aggravation of snow tires for the few days a year you might use them if you live in the south. I prob wouldn't even buy them if I lived somewhere where it snowed 10-15 days a year. Don't know if it was the weight and torque of the Diesel or just all the traction/stability/abs/DSC/etc etc on that tuck, but it drove in ice and snow better than any other vehicle I have ever owned.
Wow! Thanks for your input! That puts me at ease!
      06-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
mpriceii
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black/Black E92 M3

no problem. I keep telling my wife I am going to steal her X5D from her...and I drive an M3! Its amazing.....seriously thinking about getting the 335d with M Sport package when I tire of the 17mpg V8 and want to get 40mpg!!
here is a pic of the X5 if anyone has doubts of the 20" tires and snow!!
Attached Images

Last edited by mpriceii; 06-24-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpriceii View Post
Bought a new '11 X5D in Jan. Sport package/20" wheels/tires, etc etc. Took delivery at PC in South Carolina. At end of 1,200 mile trip home to Dallas, we got stuck in "Snowmageddon 2011" Huge ice storm and 7+" snowstorm. Basically entire northern part of Texas was shut down for 5+ days. We got to drive our brand new X5 thru over 100 miles of solid ice. At night. Basically only ones on road. I felt like it would have gone 50 the whole way if I wanted too. Amazing traction, stability and even stopping ability. With the monster 20" steamroller tires. The next several days we drove all over town in 7+" of snow. Truck felt like a 4wd Tahoe with BFG All_terrain tires on it.......again, with the summer sport 20" tires.....

So this is just my two cents, but I would NEVER blow the money and aggravation of snow tires for the few days a year you might use them if you live in the south. I prob wouldn't even buy them if I lived somewhere where it snowed 10-15+ days a year. Don't know if it was the weight and torque of the Diesel or just all the traction/stability/abs/DSC/etc etc on that tuck, but it drove in ice and snow better than any other vehicle I have ever owned.
That pretty much echoes my sentiments too...Living in the South, I'd be hard-pressed to purchase dedicated snows...Colorado, Midwest, NE? You'd be foolish not to have em if you have 20's or 21's like I drive on in the summer...

GL to you and let us know if you decide to go petrol or diesel..