XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
HELP.. Run flat tires? Steering wheel vibrations/shake

what tires do you recommend?

I had the oem bridgestone runflats and switched to continental extremecontact sports. Now i have a lot of steering wheel vibration on highway. No wheel bents and road forced tires fine. Anyone else experience this issue? I also changed the tension struts/thrust arms because the dealer said that could play into the vibration. That did not help.

My next step is to return the continentals and put run flats back on. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I assume the run flats are much stiffer sidewall and heavier tires so maybe my x5m suspension was used to them and has much more play with the lighter and softer continentals. Any other ideas? My shop is stumped too. They have ideas but dont want me to throw any more money at it. They said to put the run flats on and we will go from there.

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
what tires do you recommend?

I had the oem bridgestone runflats and switched to continental extremecontact sports. Now i have a lot of steering wheel vibration on highway. No wheel bents and road forced tires fine. Anyone else experience this issue? I also changed the tension struts/thrust arms because the dealer said that could play into the vibration. That did not help.

My next step is to return the continentals and put run flats back on. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I assume the run flats are much stiffer sidewall and heavier tires so maybe my x5m suspension was used to them and has much more play with the lighter and softer continentals. Any other ideas? My shop is stumped too. They have ideas but dont want me to throw any more money at it. They said to put the run flats on and we will go from there.

Any help is appreciated.
I would go back to your tire shop and have the balancing for each wheel checked again. I switched away from Run-Flats and went to Nitto Motivo's (non-run flats) and the ride is smooth as silk and a lot less of a harsh ride that the RF tires gave. I found my run-flats were cupping really bad as they got older and just flat out worn out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
I would go back to your tire shop and have the balancing for each wheel checked again. I switched away from Run-Flats and went to Nitto Motivo's (non-run flats) and the ride is smooth as silk and a lot less of a harsh ride that the RF tires gave. I found my run-flats were cupping really bad as they got older and just flat out worn out.
I have had it to 3 shops now. Even returned some tires for new ones and they all road forced under 18 pounds. Do you know what your road force numbers were? I am thinking maybe a wheel is bent or out of round and my shop can't tell. They told me to try the run flats. They have balanced my m3 tires perfectly and always done a great job. Cannot get anyone to figure out this X5 though. I am about to just trade it in. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
We are going to try to find a seperate set of wheels amd tires to see od that fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Headhunter.M3
I wanna go fast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
I am having another shop look at it tomorrow. I am giving them all my info on it to see what they think. Hopefully you are right and its a balance issue.
Appreciate 0