XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
jkravec
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0i

What would you do?

After waiting anxiously for 6 weeks, I finally picked up my X6 last Friday. I'm at lunch today and as I'm walking out, I see a guy pulling out of the space next to me and see a big door dent on the drivers side door. I go over and can see the burgundy paint transfer from his piece of crap Oldsmobile. Luckily I get the license plate. What do you guys do? Do you report it and try to get his insurance to fix it, or just go through your insurance?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Akela
Registered
Rep
Drives: buying an x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkravec View Post
After waiting anxiously for 6 weeks, I finally picked up my X6 last Friday. I'm at lunch today and as I'm walking out, I see a guy pulling out of the space next to me and see a big door dent on the drivers side door. I go over and can see the burgundy paint transfer from his piece of crap Oldsmobile. Luckily I get the license plate. What do you guys do? Do you report it and try to get his insurance to fix it, or just go through your insurance?
sounds like hit and run to me. I would not delay - call your local police department, or better yet, drive your bruised X6 down to the police station and tell them what happened and ask them what you should do. Whatever you do make sure not to clean any of that burgandy paint from your X6. If you have no pics or witnesses the burgandy paint is all you have to substantiate your claim at this point.

Being that you have the plate and description you should be fine. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

hope you have a local PDR service that can get that ding out for you...
      07-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

I'm sure he did it in purpose. I hate those assholes, I would kick his ass.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Aggravations of inconsiderate jerks

I would have called 911 on the spot! Report a hit & run in progress !
& have the police pull him over somewhere.

Someone clipped my mirrors doing improper lane change once $ & tried to drive away. I told him i'm calling 911 already so pull over & show me ur insurance! There is noway we can judge damage behind the dents or contact point.

Never park next to another car, if u can help it.
U get more xercise walking from the farthest point of the parking lot anyway.
In parellel parking on the street curb always try to park in the 1st spot of the block or leave enuf room for blind jerks who uses the touch bumper parking method ! or have huge trailer hitch that they should have dismounted when they took the trailer off!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
flz9636
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0

Lucky small dent can fixed. Someone back into me with a tow hitch and cost 1.6k to replace the front bumper. As archwerks stated you can't see the damage behind contact point.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
jkravec
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 5.0i

I wanted to see what everyone would have done since hindsight is 20/20 and I probably wasn't that smart about it. I chased after him, pulled next to him in a parking lot and told him he just dented my car and drove away. He denied it and called me all kinds of names. Said I had to have CSI come investigate it to prove anything and he would see me in court. I called 911 and blocked him until the Sheriff arrived. He admitted he was parked next to me and the officer looked at the cars and told him it was obvious he did it. I got all his insurance information and put in a claim today. I'll get it fixed but man some people piss me off.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Sorry to hear that you will have to go through the hassle of insurance etc. Some people really don't appreciate nice vehicles. Glad you managed to get the Sheriff on side though. Good luck with the repair and hope you get your X6 back soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkravec View Post
Sorry to hear. Lesson #1-Park as far away as possible to limit the chance of some #sshole that don't give a sh#t, damage what is yours. I woulda kick that f#ckers ass! People have no respect whatsoever, for other people's stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

The only problem with all of this is that your deductible is probably higher than the cost of fixing the dent so what is the benefit (except for teaching the guy a lesson which I definitely agree deserves it) to you? Don't you have to pay your deductible anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
KPB75
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
The only problem with all of this is that your deductible is probably higher than the cost of fixing the dent so what is the benefit (except for teaching the guy a lesson which I definitely agree deserves it) to you? Don't you have to pay your deductible anyway?
This is my worst nightmare! Why would he worry about the deductible? its the guy's insurance (who dented his car) who will pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

well by the time I read this you had done most of what I would recommended. Good job is chasing him down, so many people are wimps these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
tjl18
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 35i

Even when you park at the furtherest spot in the lot you always get those idiots that still want to park next to you even though there are parking spots closer. Now, don't get me wrong if you have a nice vehicle you care about and don't want it damaged feel free to park next to me, but if you have a beat up car with scratches and or dents just stay away from my vehicle. I mean it!!!
Appreciate 0