XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Going back to old job after a week?

Hello,

After about eight years at my last company, I received a great offer to leave that included almost a 30% raise and increased responsibilities and scope (IT related jobs btw). So even though I was extremely comfortable in my current role and loved the people, I took the new job as it offered progression and the money would be nice for my family.

When I sat down day one, my gut told me right away that I should go back to my old job. The company seems great but the scope of the job is a bit out of my comfort zone and it just doesn't seem like it's going to fit. Now I'm having serious thoughts about going back to my old job. Has anyone here done that and been successful long term? Or counter to that, would anyone recommend against it?

Your advice is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Being honest - do you think your old company would take you back? I've seen many do it...but not within a week or two of leaving. Usually it's after a year or so.

If you do go back, would the company have you locked? As in, you wouldn't really get any major pay increases from this point forth.

I'd stick it out for a while. The first couple weeks at a new job can be tough on anyone...and most second guess their decision. This does not come from my experience though...as I've been at my job for over 17 years.
      05-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I would advise against going back so soon. If you have a great relationship with your old company and they are willing to take you back, then they should be willing to take you back after 6 months or so. Give the new company a chance. Change can be uncomfortable but if you wanted that increase in pay, you'll have to work for it.
As an employer, I have taken back good employees after short periods of time and had no problems with it.
Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Hello,

After about eight years at my last company, I received a great offer to leave that included almost a 30% raise and increased responsibilities and scope (IT related jobs btw). So even though I was extremely comfortable in my current role and loved the people, I took the new job as it offered progression and the money would be nice for my family.

When I sat down day one, my gut told me right away that I should go back to my old job. The company seems great but the scope of the job is a bit out of my comfort zone and it just doesn't seem like it's going to fit. Now I'm having serious thoughts about going back to my old job. Has anyone here done that and been successful long term? Or counter to that, would anyone recommend against it?

Doing a job that is out of your comfort zone (though this one is only 'slightly' according to you) is how you grow personally and professionally. Do it for a while and if it still sucks then go back to your old job.
      05-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I did that once after being in a company for a month. This was during undergrad job. My bosses gladly took me back.
This was 15 years ago, while I was going to school.
for this day,I send them a Christmas card to the company.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

As George Costanza once said:

"We must go forward, not backward"

Stick it out at the new spot for at least 6 months. Going backwards is never a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

What is it exactly that doesn't seem fitting verse your old job? Is it more intensive? Challenging?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

I'd stay with the new job.

You don't feel comfortable with the new job? Well that's because you've been so comfortable at your old job.

In order to grow/progress, you MUST feel some pain/discomfort until you get used to it.
That's how everything in life works dude (or dudette).
      05-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
fake it until you make it.

don't be lazy; learn what you don't know and get more qualified as you go.
      05-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

It's good that you're out of your comfort zone, you're being challenged.

It's how you grow and advance your career. Stick it out for a while longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
jasonX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 335is 6MT

Saw your thread on techexams. You haven't even given the place a week... sometimes it takes 6 months or longer to get adjusted to the companies business/culture. If you want to grow in this field, you need to be challenged.

Former:
2009 335i e92 6MT , 2008 335xi e92 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i feel like he's use to just skating by doing the minimum and now he actually has to work.

notice how much he's posted since then? not much. he's actually busy now. i could be wrong but anyway.
      05-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
M370z
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
What is it exactly that doesn't seem fitting verse your old job? Is it more intensive? Challenging?
You could say that I guess. I think the main thing is that it is just "different', you get accustomed to doing something for so long and get REALLY good at it and then everything changes. I guess that is the name of the game though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i feel like he's use to just skating by doing the minimum and now he actually has to work.

notice how much he's posted since then? not much. he's actually busy now. i could be wrong but anyway.
How dare you! lol. In all seriousness though, I pride myself on being a VERY hard worker. But, I have never been good with change, so I guess this is a prime example.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
You could say that I guess. I think the main thing is that it is just "different', you get accustomed to doing something for so long and get REALLY good at it and then everything changes. I guess that is the name of the game though.
Yeah, you just need to buck up then. It will be better for you in the long run, and I'm sure you'll be happy after you get in the swing of things.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I guess my years in the Army helped with that... You change jobs every 2-3 years whether you want to or not.

It's never easy learning how to operate in a new organization. But once you settle down, you'll be glad you changed (extra pay, incentives, etc).
      05-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonX View Post
... sometimes it takes 6 months or longer to get adjusted to the companies business/culture. If you want to grow in this field, you need to be challenged.
This ^. I've been in the IT field since 81. I packed in the learning @8 years ago and regret it every day. I'm in mgmt now and hate my lack of hands on work anymore. Can I still code , yes but not like I did, same with other job skills, I'm an overpaid babysitter. Stick it out but keep open communications with old job. That will facilitate the move back if it becomes needed 6 to 12 months down the road. But learn everything you can and stay in it otherwise you will eventually become an expendable statistic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Son, you're going to have to put in a little work and challenge yourself before already thinking immediately that it will be hard and you want to go back where you're comfortable. What kind of shit is this?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

if they did not fill the position, I think you can do it. It may be embarrassing for you, but it is just good motivation for employers to show their employees that " grass is not greener on the other side."
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #19
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:

The company seems great but the scope of the job is a bit out of my comfort zone and it just doesn't seem like it's going to fit.

'If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!' - Richard Branson

I think you're just getting the newbie jitters. I say stick it out for at least a year and go from there. If it's still not for you then look to make a move back or to another company in your field. The least you'll have is more experience. Most people get that feeling when they move to a new position/company.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Had a few people leave my company and come back after a couple weeks. In the long run most people do not really care, there are the occasional jokes. As said earlier you will not be able to renegotiate your contract, so what you were getting paid is what it will be.

I am not sure if you are like me but I get jitters with new thins so sometimes it is just nerves of different surroundings. I would give it some time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #21
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Stick around for a while, see how you feel.
      05-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
M370z
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone, like many have said I'm going to give it at least 6 months and see how it goes. Worst case I can always probably go back to my old company.
Appreciate 0