XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

* Need help about my recent car purchase with dealer - potential dealer runaround *

Hi Members,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right subforum so moderators, feel free to move it accordingly. I recently purchased a Supra Turbo from a dealer in NY. The dealer and I agreed on the price based on specific terms (factory parts must be included and the car has to pass CA smog). I had him write me a letter on company letterhead stating this and he signed it for me. He reassured me he had all the itemized parts and that it will pass smog since it had already "passed NY smog". Feeling confident, I went ahead and wired the funds to his bank. This happened last Thursday. I called him on the same day the wire went out and he told me it's in pending status and that he will mail me the title once the funds clear on Friday. But sure enough, when I called his dealership on Friday, the receptionist said he was out for the day. I tried his cell but no answer. I started to get nervous but I didn't want my nerves to get the best of me. I endured through the weekend and called him today (Monday). Luckily he answered and said he was away for the weekend and is busy playing catch up. He mentioned he was at his warehouse looking for all the factory oem parts for the car and wanted to make sure the car will pass smog (apparently it still has the aftermarket downpipe installed). But in my mind I'm thinking shouldn't this have been taken care of before the funds were accepted, especially the smog test? He said he would call me later today with his findings but sure enough, he didn't.

Tomorrow will be the third business day, the fifth regular day he has held my funds without providing me proof that he has mailed out the title or demonstrated the car is ready to be loaded for transport (the car is located in NY, I'm in CA). The million dollar question is, what are my rights as a buyer at this stage? Can I cancel the whole transaction and ask for my funds back? Is there a timeline that I should expect and hold the dealer accountable to?

I researched about the dealer for a while before pulling the trigger. Everything I found are mainly positive reviews from previous buyers from various forums like rennlist (he specializes in air cooled porsches - extensive inventory), 6speedonline, m3post, ebay (100% satisfaction - where I found the car listed), and etc.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

OK. Understandable to be nervous.

A couple things. Don't take possession of the car until all parts are included and accounted for. If the parts to pass smog are not installed, they need to be installed (if that was your agreement).

It sounds like he thought he had all the parts, and realized he was missing something and is trying to source you a new downpipe or similar. It doesn't take 5 days to search a warehouse for a missing part.

I would call him, ask what's wrong, ask what he's doing to rectify it, and get a new timeline for the car to be completed, and shipped to you.

Did you stipulate a delivery date? If you did and that date can no longer be met, ask him what he will do to make it up to you.

If you do that, and he gives you the runaround, you are not comfortable with the situation, or you are not happy with any of his answers, then go to your bank and get them to pull the money back.
      05-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

No wonder your anxiety is high; mine would be too. This is the exact reason why I'd never do something like this unless I was able to be there in person. You'd have avoided this whole mess. You can have him sign this or that piece of paper all you want, but are you really going to sue him if he breaches this? You two are in totally different states.

Next time, just make time to fly wherever you're buying a car from, check it out in person, write the boy a check or give him cash and then arrange your own transport or just drive her home cross country.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeked View Post
You're anxious. Stop being anxious. Be patient. Give the guy a few more days.
Disagree. If this guy was even a little concerned about his customers, he'd have called the OP back even over the weekend. He doesn't call back when he promises he would. The OP has every right to be anxious. I have anxiety just reading the story as I've been there also, but it was in the form of a builder who ripped me off when he was supposed to build my garage but just took my money and ran.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
bavarian06
Captain
Rep

After a full week of having my funds held hostage, the seller/dealer has finally wired the funds back into my account. The whole ordeal couldve gone south really fast (ie run off with my money or hold it indefinitely) but I'm glad it's finally over with. I had to call him everyday, forcing the issue along to get my money back. Only when he conceded he couldnt meet our original terms (which wouldve cost him money) did he send the funds back to me. But serious caveat emptor. This was a high end dealership that dealt with high end classic cars, mainly air cooled Porsches. I did my own research about them and for the most part, the reviews were good to great. I might just have really bad luck. Lesson learned, no one can be trusted, PERIOD.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
bavarian06
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
No wonder your anxiety is high; mine would be too. This is the exact reason why I'd never do something like this unless I was able to be there in person. You'd have avoided this whole mess. You can have him sign this or that piece of paper all you want, but are you really going to sue him if he breaches this? You two are in totally different states.

Next time, just make time to fly wherever you're buying a car from, check it out in person, write the boy a check or give him cash and then arrange your own transport or just drive her home cross country.
The car checked out and the dealer promised it would be an non issue to meet my terms. Well of course he overpromised, underdelivered. It's very common to ship a car across the country. I just didn't know I couldn't ship it out immediately (unforseen and uncommon occurrance). Driving the car from coast to coast wouldve ruined the car, I'm buying this car as a pseudo investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian06 View Post
The car checked out and the dealer promised it would be an non issue to meet my terms. Well of course he overpromised, underdelivered. It's very common to ship a car across the country. I just didn't know I couldn't ship it out immediately (unforseen and uncommon occurrance). Driving the car from coast to coast wouldve ruined the car, I'm buying this car as a pseudo investment.
It certainly isn't abnormal to ship a car across the country, but I'd want to at least go see it in person before paying the seller, and putting it on a truck.

Glad you did not get burned, and go your money back. You'll be able to enjoy your Memorial Day weekend now!
Appreciate 0