XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
JUSTIN335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i m-sport

HD Radio/SiriusXM issues???

I'm not sure if my radio is functioning correctly, hopefully you guys have some input. Sometimes when listening to the radio, the sound output seems to shift around, like the balance/fade is being adjusted slightly. Is this the HD radio losing reception, and shifting to regular radio? It's like when you turn off the surround sound option in the option menu, and the source of the sound seems to shift.
I read other HD radio complaints about having a slight delay/echo effect with the loss of HD, but I've never experienced this.

Also the sound quality of my XM radio seems to be really low. It has a tinny sound, and lacks bass. The standard radio stations sound better than the sat radio. I tried resending the activation signal, but I'm not sure if it ever arrived. I didn't get a message on the idrive or any sort of confirmation. If it did arrive, the quality didn't change. I'm asking because I'm wondering if I have some sort of factory issue with my speakers. Like some aren't completely connected, and disconnect over bumps or something weird like that (I really have no idea).

Issues resolved
1.) the fading in and out is the radio switching between HD and standard radio, theres icon in the top right of the iDrive screen that shows this
2.) Sirius XM sucks. Everyone was right about that

Last edited by JUSTIN335; 09-04-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Rosetta Stoned
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2023 X3

Garage List
To your second paragraph. Sirius XM sound quality just sucks. Unless you're old and lost most of your hearing, or just listen to the talk stuff. They use low bitrate which cuts out the higher frequencies and muffles the sound. It's worse than 128k mp3 even though its supposedly higher efficiency codecs.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN335 View Post
Also the sound quality of my XM radio seems to be really low. It has a tinny sound, and lacks bass. The standard radio stations sound better than the sat radio. I tried resending the activation signal, but I'm not sure if it ever arrived. I didn't get a message on the idrive or any sort of confirmation. If it did arrive, the quality didn't change. I'm asking because I'm wondering if I have some sort of factory issue with my speakers. Like some aren't completely connected, and disconnect over bumps or something weird like that (I really have no idea).
I like the way you describe it like it is a factory issue with your speakers Sirius/XM is the absolute worst value because of what they charge for the worst possible sound you can have coming out of your speakers, tons of commercials and/or self promoting spots and . . . did I say dismal sound?
They also play all kinds of games with their pricing offers and their schemes to keep you paying for their service. Like renewing your subscription automatically and then sending you the bill when you specifically avoid giving them your CC number to prevent this. They did it to me on my last car even though I had paid for my subscription with a check and got assurances from the Sirius staff person that I would get a renewal notice.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your car. Insert your favorite CD into the slot and see how your system sounds
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
JUSTIN335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetta Stoned View Post
To your second paragraph. Sirius XM sound quality just sucks. Unless you're old and lost most of your hearing, or just listen to the talk stuff. They use low bitrate which cuts out the higher frequencies and muffles the sound. It's worse than 128k mp3 even though its supposedly higher efficiency codecs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I like the way you describe it like it is a factory issue with your speakers Sirius/XM is the absolute worst value because of what they charge for the worst possible sound you can have coming out of your speakers, tons of commercials and/or self promoting spots and . . . did I say dismal sound?
They also play all kinds of games with their pricing offers and their schemes to keep you paying for their service. Like renewing your subscription automatically and then sending you the bill when you specifically avoid giving them your CC number to prevent this. They did it to me on my last car even though I had paid for my subscription with a check and got assurances from the Sirius staff person that I would get a renewal notice.

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your car. Insert your favorite CD into the slot and see how your system sounds
I guess the superior sound system in the X5 just makes the imperfections more noticeable, since I thought XM sounded great in my 335 (even with "Premium sound w/ Logic7"). I guess I won't be renewing once my free trial ends. MP3 files and CD's sound great, btw. I'm just not sure what the radio fading thing is though.

And I know what you mean with the subscription games. When you call in to try to remove your automatic renewal, they instantly offer like 50% off the prices. They're so desperate to keep your credit card on file. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've noticed the same thing in my 2011 X5 with premium sound. The HD and Sat sound are terrible, but in my 335 with Harmon Kardon sound, they sound great. Thus, I'm going to attribute at least part of the crappy sound to something with the X5 rather than the signal. It's almost like HD and SAT have no bass whatsoever. Has anybody asked the dealer about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Rosetta Stoned
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2023 X3

Garage List
Regular FM radio definitely sounds better than Sirius in my 2012 X5 with premium sound, HD radio better than FM mostly depending on which station. Of course CD and iPod sound great which ends up being what I listen to most. Even Pandora / Spotify / Lastfm sound better than Sirius. Could be a problem with the X5 sat implementation but I never asked the dealer, just figure I won't renew it when its expired.
Appreciate 0