XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
KAZE70
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.4i

E53 Transmission issues

I have a 2001 X5 4.4, and I am trying to figure out what to do. The other day, the truck stalled on me. I had it diagnosed and a slew of codes popped up. However, the codes that were of real concern were:
1. Torque Converter Circuit
2. Catalytic Converter
3. Cam Shaft sensors
4. Crank Case Valve
5. Auxiliary Fan

A bit of history on my X5; I am the second owner, and the vehicles transmission was change at 91k. Since then to date, I have only put 50k on the truck. The warranty on the new transmission has passed. I have replaced speed sensors at the wheels, and thats about it. There was a point in time, the "trans fail safe" message would come up on the dash. But I have not seen that in over a year, so I am grateful for that. Of the above list that was replaced were #'s 3, and 4. My next change was going to be the the Aux Fan (#5), and this is the concern. Since changing the Cam Shaft sensors and Crank Case valve, the truck would either lose power or downshift after a period of steady driving, not allowing me to go beyond second gear. I would have to turn off the truck and restart, then the truck would be fine, but only for a little while. When I am in stop and go traffic, this would happen. Oddly, before replacing these parts, the only time the transmission would downshift was when the A/C was running. Otherwise, the truck ran fine. All this is occurring with my SES light on. So what I am trying to find out is, why is the transmission downshifting more than ever, and I have a theory... Is it possible, because the Aux Fan does not work, the trans fluid is heating up more so that ever causing the transmission to slip? Looking for any kind of help from those who might have had a similar situation. Also, the transmission fluid level is perfect with all this occurring. Please advise.
Appreciate 0