XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-28-2024, 08:18 PM   #23
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
My cousin said they went through a full on blizzard in July one time in YS. Hard to imagine.
Not at that altitude and latitude it's not.

While July is the sweet spot for not having to worry about winter suddenly appearing in that part of the country, the possibility is always present. The upside today is the quality of our weather forecasts, which get noticeably better every time a new generation of weather satellites are launched.

My memory of traveling in the region as a child in the 50s was that the car always had what today would be called 'survival equipment' in it: sleeping bags, food, a camping stove, and water. Because we were out and about from spring to fall, and the distances were often so great that travel times could be as long as eight hours between destinations – and there were six of us – my parents always bought station wagons.

To get to our destinations in a reasonable amount of time, my dad always ran 80-85 mph out on the highways. Everyone else out there was doing the same. Montana had no speed limit at all until, I don't know, the 90s?, and enforcement was confined to the scattered towns we would pass through, whether large or small. By today's standards, it was a driving fool's paradise.

Of course, and given that the highways were narrow and laid out on the lay of the land (i.e., not interstate quality), if you got it wrong it might be a while before someone came along and noticed. Nevertheless, if you ever get the opportunity to drive US-2 between Williston, ND and Whitefish, MT, I suggest it's worth serious consideration.

The assumption was that you might have to wait a day or two – or conceivably longer – before someone could reach you if you got trapped during an unexpected blizzard. This was evident as recently as the blizzard that hit Colorado on October 24, 1997. One result of that storm was a number of people died before rescuers could reach them on rural highways in the southern part of the state. Weather is not to be trifled with in that part of the country.

Last edited by dradernh; 04-28-2024 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 09:21 PM   #24
Velvet Fog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850

Garage List
2023 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Later is better, I've motorcycled through the area multiple times. Figure out a way to get to Devils Tower in NE Wyoming. It's a little out of the way but well worth the trip.
My opinion, stay off the interstate and take US14 as much as possible, look at this route from Devils Tower to Yellowstone east entrance.

From Devils Tower, take US14 to Moorcroft then 90 to Gillette then 14 to Sheridan.
I-90 to Ranchester the US14 to Burgess Junction. You have a big decision to take 14Alt to Lovell or 14 to Greybull, both are fantastic drives with great scenery and views. If it were me, I'd take 14 to Greybull and a few miles past, take 310 to Lovell then 14Alt to Cody.

From Cody, 120 north to 296 then 296 over Chief Joseph pass to 212 over Beartooth Pass to Redlodge. Beartooth can be closed until July in years with a lot of snow.

Then backtrack back over 212 to Cooke City and Tower Junction in the park. At Tower Junction head south to Yellowstone lake.

You're on your own from there.

What were your plans for getting back home?
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #25
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Fog View Post
Later is better, I've motorcycled through the area multiple times. Figure out a way to get to Devils Tower in NE Wyoming. It's a little out of the way but well worth the trip.
My opinion, stay off the interstate and take US14 as much as possible, look at this route from Devils Tower to Yellowstone east entrance.

From Devils Tower, take US14 to Moorcroft then 90 to Gillette then 14 to Sheridan.
I-90 to Ranchester the US14 to Burgess Junction. You have a big decision to take 14Alt to Lovell or 14 to Greybull, both are fantastic drives with great scenery and views. If it were me, I'd take 14 to Greybull and a few miles past, take 310 to Lovell then 14Alt to Cody.

From Cody, 120 north to 296 then 296 over Chief Joseph pass to 212 over Beartooth Pass to Redlodge. Beartooth can be closed until July in years with a lot of snow.

Then backtrack back over 212 to Cooke City and Tower Junction in the park. At Tower Junction head south to Yellowstone lake.

You're on your own from there.

What were your plans for getting back home?
Note that like anywhere else in the region, weather can have an influence upon your plans. I rolled up to Devils Tower in October 2021 only to discover that it was even more fogged-in than were the previous ten miles I'd driven to get there. I'm talking San Francisco, night-time, turn on the fog lamps fog. Because the fog wasn't expected to break anytime soon, I moved on to my next destination.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:52 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm blessed to have been several times with my parents.

Some of those pictures above, I can't believe that many people are in the park!
      05-01-2024, 02:45 AM   #27
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I’m not entirely sure - but turning around and heading back the way we came seemed like the best option. Thank you for the route recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0