XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Is the X6 Active Hybrid coming in 2009?

I heard that they plan to launch the new 7 series with the two transmission electric motors, next year. .Will the rumor that the X6 Active Hybrid is launched in 2009, be confirmed?!

What they said is that only the V8 model with be launched in the hybrid version too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I heard that they plan to launch the new 7 series with the two transmission electric motors, next year. .Will the rumor that the X6 Active Hybrid is launched in 2009, be confirmed?!

What they said is that only the V8 model with be launched in the hybrid version too.
The hybrid X6 is confirmed for 2009 and I heard that the new 7 series is supposed to debut in the next two weeks in the US. I think it was supposed to be July 7th but cannot confirm
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
The hybrid X6 is confirmed for 2009 and I heard that the new 7 series is supposed to debut in the next two weeks in the US. I think it was supposed to be July 7th but cannot confirm
It be cool to get the Hybrid X6, but waiting for it could mean that it'll be another year before they actually roll of the production line...

BTW: Shenard, have you asked your dealer if your X6 xDrive50i is going to be designated as an 09 model?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
BTW: Shenard, have you asked your dealer if your X6 xDrive50i is going to be designated as an 09 model?
Yes. The first 3-4 months of production for the 50i will be 2008 and starting in Oct/Nov production they will start making 2009s and I believe that I read starting in Mar-2009 they are going to start making the new redesigned Idrive system. There is a thread somewhere about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The first 3-4 months of production for the 50i will be 2008 and starting in Oct/Nov production they will start making 2009s and I believe that I read starting in Mar-2009 they are going to start making the new redesigned Idrive system. There is a thread somewhere about it.
When I originally placed my order for the 50i, I was told that production for the Canadian version of the 50i would start in July and I would take delivery of my new car in early August. Well, my dealer called me about a week ago and told me that production of the 50i for the Canadian market has been delayed until August and I would now take delivery sometime in September but that my car would already be classified as an 09 model....
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post

Yes, the Hybrid X6 will use the "firebreathing" TTV8 that's used in the 50i X6.Those two words "hybrid" and "firebreathing" should not be in the same "Green" sentence????!!!! I think BMW picked the X6 and specifically the 50i to try and prove a very big point.BMW being the "Ultimate Driving Machine" company,has a lot to lose if this hybrid "thing" goes awry.They picked their newest and arguably,one of the best performing cars that they make...to intro their idea of a "Performance Hybrid".If they can make it handle and perform like a "real" 50i X6 and get 20-25% better gas mileage....it's a huge win for Bimmer and leapfrogs them way ahead of the comp.If the hybrid X6 handles and performs like a Chevy Tahoe......it really hurts Bimmmers engineering reputation for many,many years.Bimmer better get the Hybrid X6 "right" from day one. Thanks! PalBay
      06-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
When I originally placed my order for the 50i, I was told that production for the Canadian version of the 50i would start in July and I would take delivery of my new car in early August. Well, my dealer called me about a week ago and told me that production of the 50i for the Canadian market has been delayed until August and I would now take delivery sometime in September but that my car would already be classified as an 09 model....
My dealer also told my 4-5 months ago that 50i when it was released would debut as an '09 model and that production would be late July/Aug with delivery end of August to September. Then all of sudden to everyone's surprise my Sales Manager called me about 3 weeks ago and told me that they all of sudden had 2 production slots pop into their computer for the 50i but they would be '08 models. I really do not care about year and just want to vehicle already so I placed the order.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Yes, the Hybrid X6 will use the "firebreathing" TTV8 that's used in the 50i X6.Those two words "hybrid" and "firebreathing" should not be in the same "Green" sentence????!!!! I think BMW picked the X6 and specifically the 50i to try and prove a very big point.BMW being the "Ultimate Driving Machine" company,has a lot to lose if this hybrid "thing" goes awry.They picked their newest and arguably,one of the best performing cars that they make...to intro their idea of a "Performance Hybrid".If they can make it handle and perform like a "real" 50i X6 and get 20-25% better gas mileage....it's a huge win for Bimmer and leapfrogs them way ahead of the comp.If the hybrid X6 handles and performs like a Chevy Tahoe......it really hurts Bimmmers engineering reputation for many,many years.Bimmer better get the Hybrid X6 "right" from day one. Thanks! PalBay
It sure would be nice to have the pulling power of the 50i for the grin-generating-right-foot-to-the-floor situations and still be able to save gas when doing your daily routine.

Then again, all of the additional weight added to the car by the hybrid components (batteries, motors, etc) will slow the car down, so performance wise, I don't think the hybrid would come anywhere close to what the 50i will do. I think it will end up somewhere between the 35i and the 50i in terms of performance as well as fuel economy.

I also agree with you that if they blunder on this one, it'll hurt them for a long time to come...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My dealer also told my 4-5 months ago that 50i when it was released would debut as an '09 model and that production would be late July/Aug with delivery end of August to September. Then all of sudden to everyone's surprise my Sales Manager called me about 3 weeks ago and told me that they all of sudden had 2 production slots pop into their computer for the 50i but they would be '08 models. I really do not care about year and just want to vehicle already so I placed the order.
I'm with you on that one... I would LOVE to get this car tomorrow... and YES, the wait is KILLING me too !!

On the other hand, this late into the year (September delivery), the car should be a 2009 model... (IMHO)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
On the other hand, this late into the year (September delivery), the car should be a 2009 model... (IMHO)
I agree with that comment and I have had a very hard time deciding on whether or not to wait a few more months for the '09 model, especially when I am only getting $750 off msrp. They didn't even want to give me anything off because it will be the first 50i in Dallas. Problem is if I wait for '09 and for some reason the production gets delayed I will be kicking myself.

I plan on hopefully keeping this car a little longer than I typically do since the resale value will probably not be great with where gas prices are headed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
If the hybrid X6 handles and performs like a Chevy Tahoe......it really hurts Bimmmers engineering reputation for many,many years.Bimmer better get the Hybrid X6 "right" from day one. Thanks! PalBay
PalBay: You obviously haven't driven a Tahoe lately. While no Bimmer, they really aren't bad vehicles -- certainly greatly improved from the early models. A friend of mine has one and it surprised me with how well it drives and how luxurious it feels. BTW, I believe the hybrid Yukon/Tahoe has slightly better performance than the regular model, so there shouldn't be any worries about the X6 hybrid on that score, although the extra weight may make it a tad less nimble.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
PalBay: You obviously haven't driven a Tahoe lately. While no Bimmer, they really aren't bad vehicles -- certainly greatly improved from the early models. A friend of mine has one and it surprised me with how well it drives and how luxurious it feels. BTW, I believe the hybrid Yukon/Tahoe has slightly better performance than the regular model, so there shouldn't be any worries about the X6 hybrid on that score, although the extra weight may make it a tad less nimble.
I heard somewhere that the Tahoe Hybrid won best engineered car of the year from some engineering society.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

I havn't and will not drive any GM product.... I had an absolutely miserable,abysmal, and many other adjectives I can't say in public,experience concerning my Cadillac SRX I owned a few years ago.....GM from manufacturing the car (crap),dealer service ( more and bigger crap) and GM Customer Service ( off the chart crap) lost me for good via my experience w/ my SRX....I wish I could feel a little love for GM,but just can't. GM blew it on every level of the car buying and ownership experience.... it's no surprise to me they have one foot in bankruptcy court.Thanks! PalBay
      07-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Burgh
XDrive50i ordered May 23rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black X6 50i

Quote:
I havn't and will not drive any GM product.... I had an absolutely miserable,abysmal, and many other adjectives I can't say in public,experience concerning my Cadillac SRX I owned a few years ago.....GM from manufacturing the car (crap),dealer service ( more and bigger crap) and GM Customer Service ( off the chart crap) lost me for good via my experience w/ my SRX....I wish I could feel a little love for GM,but just can't. GM blew it on every level of the car buying and ownership experience.... it's no surprise to me they have one foot in bankruptcy court.Thanks! PalBay
I am trading my STS in for the X6 50i and can't wait to get out of this car for the same reasons.

Burgh
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I heard somewhere that the Tahoe Hybrid won best engineered car of the year from some engineering society.

- KJ
The Hybrid component won the award not the car itself. Otherwise they would be selling.

GM will be gone before long. 75% of sales were on trucks and SUVs. With that business gone they will have compete with their cars which they cannot do for the most part.

Expect GM to shrink to about 20% of its current size.
      07-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #16
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

Are they gonna release a hybrid version of the 35i? 15 city is quite poor.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #17
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
Are they gonna release a hybrid version of the 35i? 15 city is quite poor.
The Hybrid gas model is only about 2MPG more overall. Not worth the cost.

The technology that turns the engine off at stop lights does more to save fuel than any battery currently. It has been proven that if you turn your engine off when the car is not moving you can increase MPG up to 50% in the city.

If you need to burn less gas, drive something other than a 5,000 truck.
      07-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

I love the drive a corolla fanboyism. I'd take 18 which is 20% over 15 with a lot of city driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
I love the drive a corolla fanboyism. I'd take 18 which is 20% over 15 with a lot of city driving.
I think it would take 10 years to make up the difference of the hybrid drive.

BMW has an X5 diesel prototype that has a hybrid drive as well. 43MPG is what it got in testing. I forgot where I read this.

It sounds like the Hybrid accord which is no longer made. The system is configured for optiumm highway fuel economy vice city.

If they could pull that off that would be something.