XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Paddle Shifting

Just curious how many of you use your manual mode and paddle shifters, and how often. I use them almost exclusively, and find that they are counter-intuitive in their function and poorly placed. I think they should have made them left/right functioning instead of front/back for acceleration/deceleration Also, when you turn the wheel, the shifters go with it; I feel like they should have placed them independent of the steering wheel on the coupling piece behind the wheel similar to the Infinity and Porsche models.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Not shiftheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
Just curious how many of you use your manual mode and paddle shifters, and how often. I use them almost exclusively, and find that they are counter-intuitive in their function and poorly placed. I think they should have made them left/right functioning instead of front/back for acceleration/deceleration Also, when you turn the wheel, the shifters go with it; I feel like they should have placed them independent of the steering wheel on the coupling piece behind the wheel similar to the Infinity and Porsche models.
bmw's one way only logic is u don't shift while ur turning. go figure!
I use sport mode most of the time in fast turns, & paddle shift down in auto for gear braking often so transmission shifts back to Drive automatically after without further intervention.
Paddles should definitely be like f1 cars, mounted on the steering column, not following the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I use mine a lot and agree about the turning.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I used paddle shifting almost exclusively on my 335i convertible, but I find myself not using it much on my X6. On the vert, it was easy to hear the engine note to determine shift points, but on the X6, I find myself forgetting to upshift until I glance at the tach. Perhaps my music is too loud...

I agree with the up/down orientation of the paddles. I had modified my 335i with an M3 wheel and DCT paddles for left=down and right=up operation. Prior to that, I would occasionally push instead of pulling on the stock paddles, which was often rather embarassing. I would love to convert the X6 stock paddles to DCT paddles, but they're quite expensive (over $600/pair). However, the tactile feedback of these shifters is very nice, and in spite of the high cost, I was glad I did it. I haven't seen any X6 owners who have done this mod yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i dont use paddle shifting very often.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
randombloke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 35d, Audi R8

I love true paddle shift automated manual transmissions and prefer paddles mounted to the wheel to fixed paddles - but the x6's push/pull to change thing just doesn't sit natural. I very rarely use them and just use the kickdown in sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Greetings from The Dark Side.

I drive an ML550 that has paddle shifters on the wheel that work the way you guys say you'd like: right = up, left = down. I find them very easy to use and more intuitive than the push/pull paddles on the X6 I drove. But you guys also have the option of changing gear using the shift stick; I don't, as the Mercedes has a column-mounted shifter like the old 7 series used to have, so the paddles are my only option for manually changing gear. Of course, I do get two big cup holders.

archwerks: I think F1 paddles are mounted to the wheel, because the driver never takes his hands off the 9-and-3 position, even when turning tightly. In a road car with several turns lock-to-lock, it might make more sense to have taller paddles mounted to the column so that they would be easier to find when turning.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Greetings from The Dark Side.

I drive an ML550 that has paddle shifters on the wheel that work the way you guys say you'd like: right = up, left = down. I find them very easy to use and more intuitive than the push/pull paddles on the X6 I drove. But you guys also have the option of changing gear using the shift stick; I don't, as the Mercedes has a column-mounted shifter like the old 7 series used to have, so the paddles are my only option for manually changing gear. Of course, I do get two big cup holders.

archwerks: I think F1 paddles are mounted to the wheel, because the driver never takes his hands off the 9-and-3 position, even when turning tightly. In a road car with several turns lock-to-lock, it might make more sense to have taller paddles mounted to the column so that they would be easier to find when turning.
I drove an ML that did not have paddles, but buttons on the back of the steering wheel. Not really for racing, just shifting convenience.
      12-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Well, I ended up buying a set of DCT paddles for the X6, and assume it's the same or similar conversion process that I did last year for my 335i (had to remove a small amount of material on the back of the wheel). I'll probably install these once winter is over... if that ever happens here in MN.

With the stock push/pull paddles on the X6, I find myself inadvertently pushing the paddles with my hand while turning the wheel every so often. Especially now that it's winter and glove weather (gloves come off once steering wheel heats up). This can be somewhat unexpected and embarassing!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Once you have them installed, would be interested to hear how easy/difficult it was to install..and pics too.
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
Only on long highway drives, but they should have been more similar to an smg type shifter. + and - not forward pressing to downshift.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Paddle Confusion

I don't mind the push 4 down/gear dn, lift 4 up/gear up. And the fact u can do this left or right handed. Just like video game, u learn it & get use to it.
But I agree that tach/rpm readout should have been programmable on the HUD, even for the standard X6's, to make the paddles much more useful.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
ZKA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

IMO i find the paddles mounted to the wheel is far better than the column (fixed). I drove a few cars with the shifters on the column, and found it annoying when i had either hand (I drive 9 & 3 position) cranked more than 0 deg, and having to move one hand from my driving position to upshift on the right paddle. I actually find it distracting to move my hand, and less control.

Ya i agree with the push/pull on the wheel, it should be upshift=right, downshift=left. But looking closely on the new F10 5 series, i think they have changed it to left right on standard models just like the ///M cars.
Appreciate 0