XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Clear wrap installed on my new X5M in S. California

Within two days of taking delivery of my new X5M I've already had two rock chips on the fender flares, curious why BMW didn't see this one coming. I even read that BMW dealers are repairing these rocks chips under warranty?

So a quick research ended me with "Clear Pro" 866-286-1012 I was honored that Lance the owner himself actually came out to my house and did the work himself.

The entire job cost me $1200 which included the mobile service to my house, clear wrap on the entire front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, mirror, headlights, all the door handle recess, partial front and rear flares, and partial rear bumper, side skirts (running board).

I am very happy with result and would recommend "Clear pro" to anyone in Southern, California area.

All the pieces were plotter cut right in his van prior to installation with electronic stencils. Only the rear partial flare and partial rear bumper was hand cut.

Prior to the installation Lance even clayed all the paint surfaces as part of the prep work.

Here are some pictures of the install:

This is how far I had it wrap to on the rear bumper

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
michaelpnett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 M3; 2012 X5M

I would say you did well. I paid more and got less coverage.
Truck looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
Within two days of taking delivery of my new X5M I've already had two rock chips on the fender flares, curious why BMW didn't see this one coming. I even read that BMW dealers are repairing these rocks chips under warranty?

So a quick research ended me with "Clear Pro" 866-286-1012 I was honored that Lance the owner himself actually came out to my house and did the work himself.

The entire job cost me $1200 which included the mobile service to my house, clear wrap on the entire front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, mirror, headlights, all the door handle recess, partial front and rear flares, and partial rear bumper, side skirts (running board).

I am very happy with result and would recommend "Clear pro" to anyone in Southern, California area.

All the pieces were plotter cut right in his van prior to installation with electronic stencils. Only the rear partial flare and partial rear bumper was hand cut.

Prior to the installation Lance even clayed all the paint surfaces as part of the prep work.

Here are some pictures of the install:

This is how far I had it wrap to on the rear bumper

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpnett View Post
I would say you did well. I paid more and got less coverage.
Truck looks nice
Thanks. I wouldn't worry too much about comparing prices, you are in NY area which have higher cost of living than we do in Southern California.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

How thick is the film that was applied?
      12-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I believe 8 or something like that
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I believe 8 or something like that
I went with the 3M 14mm on the sides and flares. From what I've read it's the best at holding up to the sandblasting from the tires and resists yellowing. I have a white X5 to and yellowing really shows up on white. Other posts on this forum say that anything less than 14mm gets chewed up and hazy looking. Then has to be replaced in a year or two.
      12-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I went with the 3M 14mm on the sides and flares. From what I've read it's the best at holding up to the sandblasting from the tires and resists yellowing. I have a white X5 to and yellowing really shows up on white. Other posts on this forum say that anything less than 14mm gets chewed up and hazy looking. Then has to be replaced in a year or two.
The reason why I didn't put a designation after the number is because I don't know what the designation should be. 14mm meaning is 1.4cm... quit thick if you asked me even at 8mm, which I don't believe is what our film is measured in. So I am not sure what the measurement is, but I do know the most common thickness mentioned is 8 mil. Whatever that mil is.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
dom55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
The reason why I didn't put a designation after the number is because I don't know what the designation should be. 14mm meaning is 1.4cm... quit thick if you asked me even at 8mm, which I don't believe is what our film is measured in. So I am not sure what the measurement is, but I do know the most common thickness mentioned is 8 mil. Whatever that mil is.
A mil is a unit of measure that equals one thousandth of an inch. I'm pretty sure most clear film thicknesses go by millimeters (mm). So, the 8 you are talking about is probably 8 mm thick clear bra.
      12-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya I meant to say 14 mil I got auto corrected by my phone

Here's what 14mil will do when you hit another vehicle going about 35mph

Last edited by skalberti; 12-19-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

mine cost 1200 too. it was done by the dealer. That box cutter on the rear bumper looks scary.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Speedlogix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Garage List
Looks great!