XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

03-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

How to tell if self leveling, and adjusting..

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Quick one for you pros:

How do I tell if my ride has air bags/self leveling suspension in the rear? Why do some cars have them and some not, was it an option or was it factory protocol that changed at some point?

Also, does anyone know if you are able to lower the car in the rear using a computer to access the settings in the ecu? I've lowered a couple AMG's entirely by accessing the voltage levels in STAR and it was the best drop ever. Not too low, just sporty. It would be interesting if this can be done on the X5M. All you'd need to lower would be front springs.

Last, and most important, what is the difference between lowering springs and coil-overs? If you have a link to purchase both so I can see the difference that would be great.

Thanks!!!!

03-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Quick one for you pros:

How do I tell if my ride has air bags/self leveling suspension in the rear? Why do some cars have them and some not, was it an option or was it factory protocol that changed at some point?

Also, does anyone know if you are able to lower the car in the rear using a computer to access the settings in the ecu? I've lowered a couple AMG's entirely by accessing the voltage levels in STAR and it was the best drop ever. Not too low, just sporty. It would be interesting if this can be done on the X5M. All you'd need to lower would be front springs.

Last, and most important, what is the difference between lowering springs and coil-overs? If you have a link to purchase both so I can see the difference that would be great.

Thanks!!!!
Run your VIN through the decoder to verify your suspension - if you see the line item below you've got the self leveling suspension -

220 SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION

As for which vehicles came with it, I've never found a clear answer on this. For starters, all 3rd row equipped vehicles have it. After that, I've seen some vehicles with it and most without, with no clear reason as to why (year, model, trim package, etc.).

Never heard of a way to lower the back end how you describe

Springs are just that - springs. They replace the stock ones, allowing the vehicle to sit lower. Coilovers would be the springs plus the shock/strut.

Check out this link, which includes pics, and pros/cons of each - http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...s-vs-coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Run your VIN through the decoder to verify your suspension - if you see the line item below you've got the self leveling suspension -

220 SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION

As for which vehicles came with it, I've never found a clear answer on this. For starters, all 3rd row equipped vehicles have it. After that, I've seen some vehicles with it and most without, with no clear reason as to why (year, model, trim package, etc.).

Never heard of a way to lower the back end how you describe

Springs are just that - springs. They replace the stock ones, allowing the vehicle to sit lower. Coilovers would be the springs plus the shock/strut.

Check out this link, which includes pics, and pros/cons of each - http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...s-vs-coilovers
Thanks brotha, I appreciate the link.

I just noticed I put this in the Classifieds section.
      03-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
I believe all X5Ms came equipped with self-leveling rear.
The quick and easy way to lower the rear is with lowering links (supplied with H&R kits with self-leveling), however you would not want to lower the rear without lowering the front, otherwise your ride and handling characteristics will suffer.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0