XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
AceEngineer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X5 4.4is

New owner of a used X5

Hello all

I am a new member of the forum and a first time BMW owner. I just bought a used X5 for my wife’s DD and for trips to Vegas. I got a spectacular deal on a gorgeous 2005 X5 4.4i with 96k miles. The entire car is literally in showroom condition and the exterior has zero damage and like new paint. I have to admit I paid well over KBB, but well worth it. It came with a set of 35% worn winter tires on separate BMW OEM rims. The summer stickies on the car are also only about 40% worn and all eight tires have the BMW star. The seller turned out to be a BMW fanatic that was extremely meticulous about his cars. He passed on to me all the service records since it was new along with the receipt for the 4 new lifetime air springs that were just installed. At 75k the car had new valve guide seals installed by a dealer to the tune of $7500. The seller also gave me a data base from a phone app called ACar that tracks all service together with every fuel stop with gallons and mileage for the last five years; it’s unbelievable how the guy took care of his cars. The deal also included spare air and oil filters with gaskets and new plugs plus various plastic clips that the seller had to replace over the years, so he bought extras. Things like 4 extra clips for the rear sunshades because they break easily and stuff like that. A Bentley service manual was also included. When I crawled under the car, there was not a single sign of an oil leak and the underside had a patina of road dirt indicating the bottom hadn’t been power washed recently to hide a leak. I’ve had the car a week now and have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and the only cosmetic flaws are two small filled chips in the windshield and a 1 inch square tear in the corner of the tint in the tailgate. The seller had told me ahead of time that the panoramic sunroof didn’t open all the way and as it turns out this will be the only repair necessary to return the car to literal showroom condition. I’ve already checked out the price of the parts and the kits for the front and rear roofs run about $500 total. Removing a sunroof is something I have done before and if this is the only repair required it was still a super deal. My son and I have hooked my new X5 to a borrowed BMW factory service tool to check out the car. While we had the tool set up we cleared the transmission and throttle learned behavior and set all the car memory items to our liking. It came with the two original keys and I bought 2 more from china for $15 which we had no trouble programming to the car. We are still trying to figure out if we can get the halo lights to be the daytime driving lights. Anybody out there managed to do this yet? I downloaded a list of available options for the 2005’s and my new/used BMW has every option listed plus a few that must be dealer installed after delivery. The only non-stock thing about the car is the seller had installed Alpine HD display screens in the head rests for the rear seat passengers with a DVD player with remote in the glove box and an IR transmitter for the earphones mounted centered just above the rear hatch.
For those of you who managed to read all of the above and are wondering, I paid $11k even for the car.

AceEngineer
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Welcome! I thought the halos were the daytime driving lights?

Anyhow, you'll probably get better technical help with your 2005 (E53) X5 on xoutpost.com as this site only has an E70 (2007-2013) and F15 (2014-2018) forum.

Nothing wrong with hanging out and talking Bimmers though!

Here's the forum I was referring to above:
https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceEngineer View Post
Hello all

I am a new member of the forum and a first time BMW owner. I just bought a used X5 for my wife’s DD and for trips to Vegas. I got a spectacular deal on a gorgeous 2005 X5 4.4i with 96k miles. The entire car is literally in showroom condition and the exterior has zero damage and like new paint. I have to admit I paid well over KBB, but well worth it. It came with a set of 35% worn winter tires on separate BMW OEM rims. The summer stickies on the car are also only about 40% worn and all eight tires have the BMW star. The seller turned out to be a BMW fanatic that was extremely meticulous about his cars. He passed on to me all the service records since it was new along with the receipt for the 4 new lifetime air springs that were just installed. At 75k the car had new valve guide seals installed by a dealer to the tune of $7500. The seller also gave me a data base from a phone app called ACar that tracks all service together with every fuel stop with gallons and mileage for the last five years; it’s unbelievable how the guy took care of his cars. The deal also included spare air and oil filters with gaskets and new plugs plus various plastic clips that the seller had to replace over the years, so he bought extras. Things like 4 extra clips for the rear sunshades because they break easily and stuff like that. A Bentley service manual was also included. When I crawled under the car, there was not a single sign of an oil leak and the underside had a patina of road dirt indicating the bottom hadn’t been power washed recently to hide a leak. I’ve had the car a week now and have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and the only cosmetic flaws are two small filled chips in the windshield and a 1 inch square tear in the corner of the tint in the tailgate. The seller had told me ahead of time that the panoramic sunroof didn’t open all the way and as it turns out this will be the only repair necessary to return the car to literal showroom condition. I’ve already checked out the price of the parts and the kits for the front and rear roofs run about $500 total. Removing a sunroof is something I have done before and if this is the only repair required it was still a super deal. My son and I have hooked my new X5 to a borrowed BMW factory service tool to check out the car. While we had the tool set up we cleared the transmission and throttle learned behavior and set all the car memory items to our liking. It came with the two original keys and I bought 2 more from china for $15 which we had no trouble programming to the car. We are still trying to figure out if we can get the halo lights to be the daytime driving lights. Anybody out there managed to do this yet? I downloaded a list of available options for the 2005’s and my new/used BMW has every option listed plus a few that must be dealer installed after delivery. The only non-stock thing about the car is the seller had installed Alpine HD display screens in the head rests for the rear seat passengers with a DVD player with remote in the glove box and an IR transmitter for the earphones mounted centered just above the rear hatch.
For those of you who managed to read all of the above and are wondering, I paid $11k even for the car.

AceEngineer
Congrats for the new car. 11k isn’t less for a 2005 car with 96 K miles . Did you not try to look for E70. I have seen a very nice E70 3.0 for 12 k with 65k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
AceEngineer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X5 4.4is

Got your message; I'm gone
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
turo329
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

Hi AceEngineer. Welcome to the Bimmer club. I own a 2005 4.4 and it is a great car. If the car is as well maintained as you mention then you should enjoy it. The E53 X5 4.4 can be expensive to maintain. Some of the things to look for are gasket leaks. Valley Pan Gasket, Alternator Stand Gasket, and as all BMWs the Valve cover gasket. Also all Bimmers have cooling issues. Part of the reason for this is due to the BMW recommended lifetime fill. Change coolant every 30-50k miles. Same goes for the transmission flush ever 60K. Spark plugs every 50k. Mine has 130k on it but runs and looks show room. Engine on these are very sturdy with regular oil changes. I do mine every 5k. Check suspension and CV boots. Differential fluid changes front and rear should be addressed if not done. It sounds like you bought from an enthusiast so he may have had these all done recently but I would look over the records to confirm. I have used Mobile 1 Euro 0-40 but they recently changed the formula so it is no longer compatible with our engines. I have had to switch to Liquimoly and it is much more expensive. BMWs are great driving cars and you got one of the last with Hydraulic steering. New BMW's don't drive or feel anything like they use to with the electric set up. I hope you enjoy your E53.
Appreciate 0