XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Sat in it. Im officially in love.

I went to a car show preview yesterday evening and saw and sat in the X6 for the first time. It was a Space Grey 35i. It is interesting that despite the number of negative comments the X6 seems to get on the various X5 forums, it absolutely dominated the BMW stand. There was a crowd of people around it almost the whole evening, totally ignoring the new M3, the 135i, and all the other BMWs on display. I don't think I heard a negative comment in the 30 minutes I was standing there drooling. And this was an affluent crowd; on our way into the parking lot we followed a new M5, a new Maserati, and a surprisingly good-looking brand-new Buick Enclave.

The X6 is one of those cars (yes, car; it sure isn't a truck) that is better looking in the flesh than in pictures. It was parked right next to an X5, so the differences were immediately visible. It just seems that little bit slicker, with a smoother front bumper, more attractive headlights, and a squatter and more aggressive look.

First impressions: (1) Man, that Space Grey is a nice color. For a couple of milliseconds there I was considering changing my order from Vermilion Red to Space Grey, but then I got over it. (2) It had the optional metal-full-of-black-dots running boards that are, I believe, part of the Activity Package. Yuck! Strike them from your list of options -- they look cheap, tacky, and totally out of character for the car. (3) The front doors seem short. You sort of climb in and then slide backwards into the seat. I think this is probably because the seats are set lower than in the X5, and maybe a little toward the rear. It wasn't a particularly bad problem, but my preference would be front doors that are maybe a couple inches longer. (4) Holy cow, that rear hatch reaches up to the sky! You can see immediately why BMW made the opening height programmable in the power liftgate. (5) Now this one I can't explain: I had noticeably more headroom than in my X5. According to the specs, it has one inch less front-seat headroom, but that certainly wasn't the case. Maybe, because you are sitting a bit lower than in the X5, there is a temptation to recline the seatback a little. I don't know. The back seats, however, are another story. I fit in there and I could certainly survive short trips, but I wouldn't want to be there for any distance longer than, say, 500 feet or so. My head was wedged against the roof liner. Definitely for short people. Even Suzie -- see avatar to the left -- will be depositing grey hairs on the roof liner. (6) Optical illusion: because there is no roof high above it, the trunk area seems smaller than in the X5 when the hatch is open. Move to the X5 beside the X6, and it is apparent the trunks are the same size, with the X5 winning only on height. Strange. (7) The foglight surrounds look kind of cheap and a little out of place. My wife mentioned this and I heard somebody else say it too.

Personally I think the X6 is stunningly beautiful. I always disliked Chris Bangle's designs because they were full of fiddly detail -- eyebrows above the lights, finicky bits of detail in the trim, etc. But all his designs have had that fundamental BMW macho stance: wide and low, with wheels pushed out to the edges and a presence that says "drive me". I think the X6 captures the best of Bangle and finally omits his excesses. It has that indefinable 'presence' that you sense with Astons and Bentleys and the like. It is large, in your face, and seems to say Screw you, I yam what I yam and I could care less what you think of me. It reminds me of a girlfriend I had who stood 6' 2", was gorgeous, and instead of trying to hide her height she accentuated it. Scared off most of the guys, but a few of us more discriminating types were captivated. She was perfect. Sadly, she was looking for the perfect man so I didn't last.

But I'm in love again.

Last edited by Suzie's Dad; 03-12-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Very nice post! I'm batting 100% on my belief that people will love this car,SAC, whatever it is,much more once they see it up close and personal.Not to steal your thunder,but I've said from the moment I spied a finished production model in the flesh,this is one of BMW's best design's.Thanks for articulating your thoughts so well! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

The only thing I'm afraid with X6 is that it will sell like candy bars and that unique look and presence of the car will be gone...

I want this car to be unique on the traffic, but it looks like a lotta ppl are gonna buy it...
      03-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

I got a question for you suzie's dad.

You said that you sat in the X6. How does it feel? Is the sitting position same as the X5 or is it more coupe-like?
      03-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

sounds great

E90post Project 325i

www.creativeautoworks.com
James@creativeautoworks.com
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
How does it feel? Is the sitting position same as the X5 or is it more coupe-like?
As I recall it, kind of a cross between the two. The seating position doesn't feel as low as a traditional coupe would, nor is it as high as in the X5. You are, I believe, about two inches (5 - 6 cm) closer to the ground than in the X5, but you are still sitting higher than in most traditional cars. I would need to drive it to get a better idea.

Rear vision through the interior mirror is OK, but if you turn to back up you can't see squat.

The wheel-mounted shift paddles felt nice, but I have never been particularly high on BMW's steptronic so I think they are only likely to get used if the shifts are a lot snappier than they are on my X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Thanks for the impressions but actually I was trying to learn about the seats, not the sitting height.

You know in coupe's your knees and feet are like straight and parralel to tge ground, because of the low seating position...

are the seat positions low like a coupe or not? I know the car is high above the ground than a coupe, but do you feel like sitting in a coupe or a SUV?

I remember Chris bangle saying something about the feel of this car and the sitting position in a video; thats what I'm trying to justify =)
      03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Anyone know the differences between regular seats in X5 sports seats in X5 and comfort seats in X5? The interior of the 6 looks almost identical, as it would, to save parts sourcing and installation headaches. I have a 335 with sport seats and the side bolsters are too narrow for me, so I'm looking for a larger seat for my fat ass! Is sport seat in x5 larger than 335? Anyone with comfort seats out there? 1200.00 option. Cheap
      03-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
Thanks for the impressions but actually I was trying to learn about the seats, not the sitting height.

You know in coupe's your knees and feet are like straight and parralel to tge ground, because of the low seating position...

are the seat positions low like a coupe or not? I know the car is high above the ground than a coupe, but do you feel like sitting in a coupe or a SUV?

I remember Chris bangle saying something about the feel of this car and the sitting position in a video; thats what I'm trying to justify =)
When I sat in it last week, it felt like a more intimate X5, not smaller, just more personal and less functional. The impression I got in the front seat was of a more reclined windscreen, however it is the same windscreen inclination as the X5. It certainly feels different to sit in the front than the X5 and when looking back it doesn't feel like you're driving a load carrier.

I was actually fine in the rear seats. Dare I say that it may depend on the size of your rear-end? I am slim and just over 6ft tall and when I sat in the rear I had four-fingers of room above my head. This is about the same as a 5-series sedan and more than in a 3-series sedan, but around 2 fingers less than an X3 or X5.

Ok, maybe I need to photograph my fingers so you know how much that is..

I agree with everything else that Suzie's Dad says, its a stunning looking car and I'm very glad I'm only 10 weeks away from getting my own.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

I was curios about the front seats. Cheap
      03-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
I'm very glad I'm only 10 weeks away from getting my own.
Go ahead. Rub it in...

Re the rear seats: I am 6' 2" but quite long in the trunk, as opposed to being all leg.

Re the running boards: My kids -- all late 20's and early 30's -- like the running boards. Maybe it's an old fart thing to find them tacky.

Re sport seats (cheaptrick): My wife's M3 has seats that are too narrow for me. I'm not fat -- OK, well upholstered, maybe -- but I do have child-bearing hips. The seat side bolsters cut circulation and put my legs to sleep. I find my neighbour's 4.8is X5 seats too narrow for anything other than short trips, although they do seem wider than the M3's. I have regular seats in my X5 and had comfort seats in my previous 540i. Truth be told, I actually find the X5 seats comfier, although I don't really know why. Maybe because you sit more vertically. I think the only real difference is that the comfort seats have articulated backrests and power headrests, but don't quote me on that as I'm not a seat expert.

Re seating position (Mr. Marvelous): You should get a pretty good idea by sitting in an X5 and visualizing your butt two inches closer to the floor. You're not lying down, by any stretch, but you are definitely not sitting high up SUV-style.
Appreciate 0