XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Cobb AccessPort install and ongoing review (lots of pics)

First off thanks to Josh at Cobb Tuning in TX for answering my questions, and supporting me thoroughly, instead of the blanket "We don't support X5's," blanket statement I received from their Facebook page and via their sales email alias. So frustrating... Josh assured me based on my VIN, that the DME for my X5 and N55 engine would work with their existing tunes.

I also want to thank Cobb Tuning Surgeline in Portland Ore, for talking me out of a ProTune. Not bad for a business to turn down money, easing my fears that the off the shelf tune is plenty sufficient.

I also want to thank Import Image Racing (Florida) for such a great deal on the AccessPort, that was substantially lower in cost than MSRP (and other listed prices on the web)

That said, what's an AccessPort? It's a handheld tuner, OBD scanner, Digital gauge and logging system. It started in the Subaru world, then branched off to cover many other platforms like Mitsubishi, Ford, Mazda, BMW, and a few others.

They have a number pre-made maps/tunes that you download through their
"Accessport Manager," software.

Here it is as I received it. Which BTW, their retail packaging is excellent.

The box it came in:

The box opened (Rectangular box on left side holds a nice long OBD cable with a 90 deg plug, so it's out of the way when plugged in):

In the nice neoprene case is your AccessPort, a spare colored bezel, a USB cable, and a dash clip:

Powering on via my PC (Video) Click image to play video:

All in all, a very nicely packaged system, and so far super simple to operate.

Next post will be plugging into the car, and uploading a tune....

Last edited by mitch808; 03-27-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep

It connects to your OBD port like shown:
I appreciate the 90 deg ODB plug that is out of the way. I have another OBD plug for my Subaru that sticks straight out, and it's annoying when logging data.

At this point, the unit is powered on, and wants you to confirm your engine. If it's not a recognized DME, there is a process to upload your ECU image, to Cobb and they can build support for it. Sometimes quickly, sometimes not. I lucked out.

Not sure what these are, but they were currently in my DME.

The AccessPort starts to Read your ECU at this point (About 3-5min):

Then presents you with a number of maps. Stage 1 "sport," Stage 1 Aggressive, Stage 2, etc...
Pick your poison... I went with "Sport," for now. I will try Aggressive at a later date.
*Note many of these may be based on 135i/335i tunes where they have more parts available than us. So Stage 1 maybe as far as we go?

It has begun, I assume there is no turning back here. Note while the Accessport warns you to use a battery charger/tender while flashing (As does the manual), I did not. I made the assumption that my battery is in good condition, and took a gamble. Do your own homework if this risk is worth it to you.

During this time, your dash and chimes will go a little haywire. A number of errors on the dash and screen. A few chimes here and there, and lights I have never seen before. Crosses fingers.

Almost done...

Total time to write the new ECU tune, around 3-5minutes.

At this point, I will note, I've spent about 20 or so minutes in the car. Plugging in, taking photos, looking at the OBD menu, to reading the ECU and flashing the Stage 1 map. All while NOT on a battery tender.

Sorry blurry pick, but it'll clear all the stored DTC error codes in the ECU.

All done!:

A total of 25minutes, including saving a copy of stock ECU file, that I can save to my laptop via the Accessport Manager software.

The car starts, and there are no errors on the dash, or stored under the service information screen. Driving impressions will come later as I need to walk the dog... This bitch is needy at times.

Last edited by mitch808; 03-27-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Post added
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep

A few follow-up thoughts.

You do not have to keep this in the car, nor do you have to keep it connected. You flash your car, then remove, and enjoy.

You could though if you want, keep it connected if anything for the guage function. It can show a number of parameters simultaneously while you're driving. It can even log parameters for a tuner to look at for troubleshooting purposes or getting a more refined tune.

It includes a simple 3M sticky mount to your car. Though there is a company that makes an AC vent clip adapter that would be preferred.

There is, and I didn't show it, valet maps too you could upload. So that you can artificially cripple the car. Perhaps when traveling and away? Not sure how far it goes to crippling the car, nor do I want to spend a few minutes waiting for a new flash to be written. Seems like a PITA.

EDIT: I'm told by Josh@Cobb that reflashing on top of their OTS maps, takes just around 90 sec, and not the full 3-5minutes operation.

Last edited by mitch808; 03-28-2014 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Feedback from Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep

First drive out, simply drive about 4 miles each way to get gas at Costco. Hey it's an excuse to leave the house! I live in downtown, so I'm stuck at a lot of lights, don't really exceed 40MPH.

However, just pulling out of my driveway, I misjudged the accelerator pedal, and it whipped my head back. This isn't an OMG I'm as fast as an X5M, just that the car is now stronger down low, and I wasn't expecting the go fast peddle to be so sensitive.

0-20MPH is noticeably faster/stronger. Even just 20% throttle is put you in the seat faster from a stop. I'm loving it so far....

What bugged me about my car, was it's highway speeds. You know at let's say 40MPH, and flooring it. It just kind of oozes into gear and slowly picks up speed. Now it's a noticeable transition down a gear, and the acceleration is much better while at speed. This is how the car should have performed, stock.

There were a few little jerks or unsteadiness at partial slow throttle inputs, like coasting at around 10MPH. I'm going to chalk that up to the car's computer relearning things since the ECU/DME was reset during the reflash process.

I'm going to take it easy over the next couple of weeks, and try not to be heavy footed. One other reason I wanted to try the AccessPort, was to see if my mileage improved. Typically when tuned, you will see an improvement for any car, if you can keep your foot off the pedal and stupid grin off your face.

Last edited by mitch808; 03-27-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
DustinMN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT 2011 X5 Msport

You'll love it. I've had mine tuned since the holidays. Makes it a quick lumber wagon.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
pjpamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

is there a noticeable difference between the sport map and the aggressive map? stage 1 v. stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpamer View Post
is there a noticeable difference between the sport map and the aggressive map? stage 1 v. stage 2?
The difference between Stage 1 sport and aggressive are boost levels (10psi vs 12.5psi at peak with a taper to redline), probably a more aggressive timing too.

However, the aggressive tune is based on 93/94 octane. Where as sport is based on 91/92 octane. Different parts of the country and seasons can affect octane levels, and gas quality.

Nothing else is needed to run this. A catback or intake is not required. Install and go.

Going to a Stage 2 tune starts to require things like an uprated FMIC, or a downpipe, or a catback being "strongly recommended." Which pretty much means, we'll not get to run those maps, since those parts do not really exist, without a custom fab job. (Though there are downpipes, but they are Texa$$ I think from AR designs, I'm told an F10 pipe will fit)

Who knows with an axleback, and the factory X5 FMIC already being bigger than a 135/335, and getting a downpipe installed, perhaps you could run a Stage2, but you would be breaking new ground, and a ProTune would probably be advised.

That said, take a look at Cobb's Notes.

Map Requirements:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Accessport...maps/bmw/97V0B

Map Notes with HP/TQ figures:
https://cobb.app.box.com/BMW-N55-Map-Notes
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

I have recently flashed my X5 N55 ECU with the Cobb AP. I have noticed that the transmission shift point have changed, shifting seems bit delayed (which equates to better acceleration theoretically). It's only been a day or two, I'm trying to see after some adaptation how it will be.

I have read also that the X5 FMIC is larger than the 335i which is why some X5/X6 N55 owners with a Cobb opted to use the Stage 1 + FMIC map. I have yet to try this.

Will provide more updates as more adaptation occurs.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
mitch808
Captain
Rep

While someone did post FMIC measurements, I'm not sure if that's the overall core that is about 1-2" larger and 1" thicker, or the end tanks that are larger, and it's just really 1" thicker. Realistically, a good quality FMIC that is well engineered, will drop temps some 30-50deg. I'm not sure a 1" thicker OEM FMIC is going to accomplish that.

I guess if you aren't flooring it and putting it under heavy load (towing, full acceleration, racing) and live in a cooler environment to begin with, I *think* it could work; with occasional stomps around town as you are stuck on the 405 in traffic, or 110. (yuck)

I live in WA state, we're 10+ deg cooler than you if not more than SoCal year round. If I were in AZ, NM, or TX, I wouldn't even bother. Don't forget you get 91 octane race piss. That's a factor too. :P
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

I'm beginning to feel the adaptation of the ECU after about 50 miles.. I was trying to figure out why the shifts were actually crisper than before where at stock setting you felt that shortly after a gear change, there's a delayed acceleration. I believe the tune removed this lag which made me feel the shift and acceleration come on sooner..

Might start doing some logs to see some numbers.. has anyone made comparison logs between stock and Cobb tuned?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
I'm beginning to feel the adaptation of the ECU after about 50 miles.. I was trying to figure out why the shifts were actually crisper than before where at stock setting you felt that shortly after a gear change, there's a delayed acceleration. I believe the tune removed this lag which made me feel the shift and acceleration come on sooner..

Might start doing some logs to see some numbers.. has anyone made comparison logs between stock and Cobb tuned?
Don't forget about the Adaptive transmission, and how to reset that too... You can do it without any tools, just a turn on, pedal down sequence.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

I want one!!!

Anyone know what Josh's email and phone number is?

I have a 335 and just got my wife and X5 and there is a noticable lag that she even notices.
Help!!
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

What HP/TQ numbers we looking at for Stage 1 'sport'?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Please read the map notes link I posted.

Send an email to josh.dankel@cobbtuning.com, and ask if your x5 is compatible by providing your VIN to him.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Please read the map notes link I posted.

Send an email to josh.dankel@cobbtuning.com, and ask if your x5 is compatible by providing your VIN to him.
Thanks Mitch!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
RllyDrvrIX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 X5

Suddenly getting the "itch " to get a Cobb
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
mitch808
Captain
Rep

I think you can save a few bucks and get v2 if you can find any. There was one in the classifieds for sale.
      04-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think you can save a few bucks and get v2 if you can find any. There was one in the classifieds for sale.
I'll take a look and see, I just want to make sure my DME is compatible.
What year is your E70?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
mitch808
Captain
Rep

04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So hopefully I'll be ok with my 2011

Any idea what #'s were added HP/TQ wise?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Again look at the map notes link I posted! Graphs are in there and boost levels.
      04-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #22
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Short update... When you flash the map, the map and accessport are now tied together. The accessport cannot flash any other car. In my case, the dealer did some ECU updates to various systems in the car. It broke the marrying process of the DME to accessport.

As such, the accessport thinks it was still flashed to a different car.

I contacted Cobb, and told them what's up, and they issued me a special file to load on to my PC that reset my accessport. Thanks Josh and Cobb Tuning!

That said, always unflash your car Accessport or Velos, or any other handheld tuner, BEFORE you go to the dealer. It sounded like when speaking to Cobb, if it wasn't a particular valid reason, you could be on the hook for a "re-activation," fee that could be in the hundreds of dollars. Almost like re-licensing the software on it.

I'm still pretty happy with the unit, though forget what the gains were like. But I've got other cars to play with, that are more rewarding.
Appreciate 0