XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

X6 Production Dates

MY 08' X6 3.5 TT >>>>>>>>Yes a twin turbo X6!
- Build: January 08'
- Launch: April 19th

MY 08' X6 4.8is
- May
- July launch

Credit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=27
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

how much is the X6 going for?

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

These numbers don't match what my dealer was told. The dates do, but the model designations do not (they were told there would be a 3.0si and 4.4si). What engine is the 3.5L twin turbo? If they up the current 3.0 liter twin turbo displacement, then the hp would nearly match the current 4.8 liter output. What happened to the 4.4 twin turbo V8??
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
you mean the same tt engine found in 335i? or is it a new 3.5L twin turbo engine?

also is this tt engine available in US or is it European only offer, as there is 630 in europe and not US?

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

The TT engine will be 4.4, not a 3.5. That statement is wrong.

It will be available for the US market...

The reason you don't have a 630i in USA is because cars and taxes are really very cheap out there. Why would you bother with a slow luxury coupe where you can have the 650i
      11-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
fnu02
King
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bugatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
The TT engine will be 4.4, not a 3.5. That statement is wrong.

It will be available for the US market...

The reason you don't have a 630i in USA is because cars and taxes are really very cheap out there. Why would you bother with a slow luxury coupe where you can have the 650i
How come we don't have a 635i in the U.S with tt engine that's found in the

335i and the 535i?? The car would b just as fast as the 650i.. lighter, and

would cost less.
      11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

According to my local dealer, the U.S. WILL get the 3 liter tt engine for the X6 3.0si. This is the same award winning inline 6 cylinder as in the 335 and the 535. Additionally, the V8 tt will be a new 4.4L tt engine. The car is totally designed for intercoolers, so it's nice to get two variants with turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
xpnstos77
Rep
Drives: 96 M3 and 08 335i

Engine Sizes

I think as always in BMW history they try and reuse engines in multiple cars to save money.

You have to believe that the 3.0L TT eninge that appeared in the 3 series first then the 5 series will make its way into other cars. Next is the 1 series then it will make it into the X6, then into the X5 (most likely when it receives a facelift). BMW always had done that facelift and engine size increase. Then when the X3 is remodeled, if its nots a 3.2L TT by then.

The upper size of the X6 engine has to have some horsepower difference then the lower engine. BMW always does that too. So if they have a 300hp engine in the lower size then I cant see a 350hp engine as the larger size. Remember that though horsepower is not everything. A 8 cylinder has much more grunt then a 6 cyclinder twin turbo. That is why the M3 got the 8 treatment. Maybe just a larger engine will be dropped into the X6, maybe a 5.0 or larger. Maybe just the 4.8.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnu02 View Post
How come we don't have a 635i in the U.S with tt engine that's found in the

335i and the 535i?? The car would b just as fast as the 650i.. lighter, and

would cost less.

There isn't a 635i in the world. They haven't putted it into the 6 series, yet.
      11-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Not Ur Avg 3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
According to my local dealer, the U.S. WILL get the 3 liter tt engine for the X6 3.0si. This is the same award winning inline 6 cylinder as in the 335 and the 535. Additionally, the V8 tt will be a new 4.4L tt engine. The car is totally designed for intercoolers, so it's nice to get two variants with turbos.
omg 4.4L TT... proceed that hoe, and omg...
      12-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
There isn't a 635i in the world. They haven't putted it into the 6 series, yet.
Wrong, I drove behind one not a month ago on a road in Northern Ireland, which the last time I looked wasn't the capital of the motoring world.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Wrong, I drove behind one not a month ago on a road in Northern Ireland, which the last time I looked wasn't the capital of the motoring world.
you re wrong... the one you ve driven must be 635d, which is a diesel
      12-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
you re wrong... the one you ve driven must be 635d, which is a diesel
You are correct, I misread you post and thought is said 'd' instead of 'i'.

Apologizes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
capricessnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i E90 SPORT MT6 Montego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Ur Avg 3 View Post
omg 4.4L TT... proceed that hoe, and omg...
Bro! Thats why i ordered a V8! Vishnu that bitch out to 750 hp and you get more than you could dream of!

Now driving 2008 X6 35i Saphire Black with most options and started the modding process
2009 X6 50i Saphire Black with All Options (On Order)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricessnj View Post
Bro! Thats why i ordered a V8! Vishnu that bitch out to 750 hp and you get more than you could dream of!
Like a large pool of molten metal under the hood where the engine used to be, for example. Please go ahead and chip it when you get it. And be sure to let us know how long it runs before...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

baaah, nothing will happen to the engine with a single chip...
      03-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
baaah, nothing will happen to the engine with a single chip...
You have more confidence in a young, self-taught computer whiz than I do.

Get ahold of SAE paper 2007-01-1560. It is written by two BMW engineers who were involved in the design of the 35i engine. They talk about the incredible complexity of the software and how software is used to control a large number of engine parameters that have never been controlled before (turbo 'bumping', catalyst 'lighting', and so on). The 50i engine has even more complex software than the 35i.

It used to be that 'chipping' an engine just meant altering the software maps that govern fuel quantity for given throttle, air mass, and speed conditions. Quite a simple thing to do. With turbo engines, it also meant fooling the ECU into allowing a little more boost. There is generally no harm in that, provided the knock sensing is left unaffected. But the BMW TT engines run with a compression ratio in excess of 10:1 and rely on special spark plugs to detect ionization, which is an indicator of ignition. They send a signal to the ECU, which takes appropriate action to avoid engine meltdown.

Many newer 'chip' systems do not alter the OEM software maps, but intercept signals between the ECU and the software bus. They then modify those signals to fool the ECU into doing or allowing things that it would otherwise have restricted. All they are doing is pushing a little more into the safety envelope that the manufacturer builds into his engines so that he doesn't get overwhelmed with warranty claims. The makers claim that the devices can be easily removed (the implication being that you would need to do so for some reason; hmmm...) and that the vehicle manufacturer cannot tell that the device was ever fitted. Personally, I don't think BMW is that stupid.

If you look through somebody like Vishnu's website, you will note that some early customers had 'less than satisfactory' performance gains (I wonder what that means?) and so the Vishnu device was modified. In other words: We would like to thank all those beta testers out there who allowed us to perform long-term reliability testing at their risk rather than ours.

If you are comfortable with the idea of software this complex being modified and bypassed in the name of a few extra horsepower, then be my guest and go ahead and get it done. I'm guessing a replacement 50i engine will run in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. I would far rather you experiment than me! When you have proven the reliability of the modifications (ie: when version 2 starts to become available) I may consider buying one myself.

BTW, some of my comments apply much less to diesels. They already run very high CRs and are less likely to suffer chip-related damage. BMW's diesels do not use turbo bumping, but have one small turbo (for low-speed torque) and one larger one (for high-end power) that operate in series. And guess what, they don't use fancy spark plugs to detect pre-ignition (doh!). The software is proportionately less complex.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Nice writeup! Where can you put your hands on that SAE article? I read alot of their articles( Can you tell I'm a big car geek!!!).However, most of the articles at the SAE website are for sale.Did you find this article on the great WWW.Thanks! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep

Suzie^s Dad.

I see that you know a lot about the new BMW TT engines...

But I don't think that you know about the Vishnu's Procede...

It has been specially designed for BMW's 3.0 TT engine, and it works great. There hasn't been a single problem as far as I know...

If you go with a high-quality chip tuning, nothing will go wrong...

I don't think that the 50i engine is complicated than the 35i engine. Its the same layout with bigger displacement. Thats why BMW magaed to get that 4.4 TT out so quick, right after the 3.0 TT.

So if someone comes up with a quality chip-tuning for X6, just like the one I mentioned above for the 3.0L, everything will be fine. I won't hesitate to get one. If vishnu comes with a software for the 4.4 TT, I will also pay 15.000 $ for your engine if something goes wrong...

I am that confident in good chip-tuning..
      03-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Nice writeup! Where can you put your hands on that SAE article? I read alot of their articles( Can you tell I'm a big car geek!!!).However, most of the articles at the SAE website are for sale.Did you find this article on the great WWW.Thanks! PalBay
I actually paid for it. I buy quite a lot of SAE articles from their website as the information tends to be more reliable than what you find trolling the WWW. The only problem with Googling stuff is that whoever is writing often has some axe to grind, but you rarely get to find out what their angle is or how credible or knowledgeable they are. On forums like this you can generally get an idea of someone's credibility after they have made a few posts, but most people who post on auto-related forums tend to be young males with strong opinions but little experience. Nothing wrong with that -- I was one once -- but you have to be able to filter out a lot of what they say.

I enjoy all the posts, even those I suspect are somewhat less than informative. It's good to have such a variety of people with a common interest.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

SAE Article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
I actually paid for it. I buy quite a lot of SAE articles from their website as the information tends to be more reliable than what you find trolling the WWW. The only problem with Googling stuff is that whoever is writing often has some axe to grind, but you rarely get to find out what their angle is or how credible or knowledgeable they are. On forums like this you can generally get an idea of someone's credibility after they have made a few posts, but most people who post on auto-related forums tend to be young males with strong opinions but little experience. Nothing wrong with that -- I was one once -- but you have to be able to filter out a lot of what they say.

I enjoy all the posts, even those I suspect are somewhat less than informative. It's good to have such a variety of people with a common interest.
I appreciate the bounceback.I'll find the article over at the SAE website.I concur w/ your analysis of a lot of auto forums.Sometimes you gotta dig a little deeper for the correct info your looking for.Thanks much! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
You have more confidence in a young, self-taught computer whiz than I do.

Get ahold of SAE paper 2007-01-1560. It is written by two BMW engineers who were involved in the design of the 35i engine. They talk about the incredible complexity of the software and how software is used to control a large number of engine parameters that have never been controlled before (turbo 'bumping', catalyst 'lighting', and so on). The 50i engine has even more complex software than the 35i.

It used to be that 'chipping' an engine just meant altering the software maps that govern fuel quantity for given throttle, air mass, and speed conditions. Quite a simple thing to do. With turbo engines, it also meant fooling the ECU into allowing a little more boost. There is generally no harm in that, provided the knock sensing is left unaffected. But the BMW TT engines run with a compression ratio in excess of 10:1 and rely on special spark plugs to detect ionization, which is an indicator of ignition. They send a signal to the ECU, which takes appropriate action to avoid engine meltdown.

Many newer 'chip' systems do not alter the OEM software maps, but intercept signals between the ECU and the software bus. They then modify those signals to fool the ECU into doing or allowing things that it would otherwise have restricted. All they are doing is pushing a little more into the safety envelope that the manufacturer builds into his engines so that he doesn't get overwhelmed with warranty claims. The makers claim that the devices can be easily removed (the implication being that you would need to do so for some reason; hmmm...) and that the vehicle manufacturer cannot tell that the device was ever fitted. Personally, I don't think BMW is that stupid.

If you look through somebody like Vishnu's website, you will note that some early customers had 'less than satisfactory' performance gains (I wonder what that means?) and so the Vishnu device was modified. In other words: We would like to thank all those beta testers out there who allowed us to perform long-term reliability testing at their risk rather than ours.

If you are comfortable with the idea of software this complex being modified and bypassed in the name of a few extra horsepower, then be my guest and go ahead and get it done. I'm guessing a replacement 50i engine will run in the $10,000 to $15,000 range. I would far rather you experiment than me! When you have proven the reliability of the modifications (ie: when version 2 starts to become available) I may consider buying one myself.

BTW, some of my comments apply much less to diesels. They already run very high CRs and are less likely to suffer chip-related damage. BMW's diesels do not use turbo bumping, but have one small turbo (for low-speed torque) and one larger one (for high-end power) that operate in series. And guess what, they don't use fancy spark plugs to detect pre-ignition (doh!). The software is proportionately less complex.
Well I dunno where you've been but Procede V2 has been out since last year?? Also I've ran Procede and JB (a far simpler design) for a year and over 48K Miles with no Problems just simple Scheduled Manitenance (Oil,Changes & Spark Plugs @ 44k Miles).And thats because I really drove the crap out (Pushing out 389WHP/434WTQ ) of my car and people often made remarks about it blowing to pieces yada but everyones still waiting for the Mass deaths of N54 Motors since MOST people already have some sort of tune. So when /if you find one with INFO, PIC's, HARD DATA to back it up then please post it up. Cause I nor anyone I know have seen or heard of Blown N54 motors other then the occasional troll.
Appreciate 0