XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

X5M Turbo Blankets

Hey guys,

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the PTP blanket and wanted to try individual ones. Found thermal zero's T25 blankets that I thought might fit so I ordered a pair. I changed my spark plugs today and wanted to test fit a blanket. They kind of fit...it took patience and time to actually get one on a turbo since there is very little space. My only concern is the wastegate actuator which may get some resistance from the blanket; is that super bad? I can still move the actuator arm with my middle finger but difficult with my index finger. The blanket appears to pinch a bit on either side.

I would need to pull the downpipes to secure them properly as there is no room otherwise. I have some catless DPs in the mail so I figured it was worth holding onto both blankets until I install those and give it a whirl. You can't return the blankets after test fitting, there is a seal on the bag. So I already have sunk cost in one of them...if it fails I guess I'll sell it on craigslist and return the other one. What are your thoughts?

Here is the blanket on one of the turbos:

This picture shows the blanket pressing on the adjacent waste gate arm:

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Why are you putting blankets on your turbos?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
Why are you putting blankets on your turbos?
Engine bay heat reduction. I think most of the heat will go away with the catless downpipes but looking at wrapping the DPs and putting on blankets.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Engine bay heat reduction. I think most of the heat will go away with the catless downpipes but looking at wrapping the DPs and putting on blankets.
Why do you care how much heat is in the engine bay?
Is your engine overheating?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Reduce heat related wear on the hoses in the engine bay.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Turbo blankets serve two purposes...

reduce radiant heat under the bonnet by a large degree
there is a university backed paper that there is a HP gain with turbo blankets

The first one alone, should be HUGE to just about any performance enthusiest. Reduce underhood heat, prolong the life of many other neighboring components, but a minimal/slight/notevendetectable chance of making more power or spooling sooner. Why not?

I'd grab some galvanized wire, like the kind used for outdoor fencing, and tie it around the blanket, to compress it and give your wastegate rod a little more wiggle room, if it really bothers you. But think about how strong that spring is in opening the wastegate, that I don't think it's that big of a deal.
      03-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Turbo blankets serve two purposes...

reduce radiant heat under the bonnet by a large degree
there is a university backed paper that there is a HP gain with turbo blankets

The first one alone, should be HUGE to just about any performance enthusiest. Reduce underhood heat, prolong the life of many other neighboring components, but a minimal/slight/notevendetectable chance of making more power or spooling sooner. Why not?

I'd grab some galvanized wire, like the kind used for outdoor fencing, and tie it around the blanket, to compress it and give your wastegate rod a little more wiggle room, if it really bothers you. But think about how strong that spring is in opening the wastegate, that I don't think it's that big of a deal.
Keeping the heat in the turbo turbine while the engine is operating is fine - doing it when it's off isn't so great. Why heat shields are always a better option than blankets.

If you're worried about the heat, you're better off ceramic coating the housings (and downpipes while you're at it).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Hi

Are you happy with the performance of these turbo blankets, would you recommend putting these on a BMW X5M. It seems you had to remove the OEM heat shield to install the blanket. Is it worth the effort. I checked with PTP and their blanket can be installed inside or outside the OEM heat shield. Someone installed it over the OEM heat shield. Is it worth spending money and effort and I am not sure if this affect the warranty as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Are you against the use of Turbo blankets. I am only concerned about the warranty aspect,

Quote:
Keeping the heat in the turbo turbine while the engine is operating is fine - doing it when it's off isn't so great. Why heat shields are always a better option than blankets.

If you're worried about the heat, you're better off ceramic coating the housings (and downpipes while you're at it).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Are you against the use of Turbo blankets. I am only concerned about the warranty aspect,
If your turbo fails (e.g. cracks) due to excessive heat, then there is a strong likely hood of a denied warranty claim. But if your trunk lifter fails, or your rear suspension airbags leak, adding a turbo blanket would not have caused that.

You gotta pay to play. If you're concerned about a warranty, you shouldn't be modifying a car. Or only buying BMW/Dinan approved parts.

There is strong anecdotal evidence, and millions of miles logged for PTP turbo blankets and similar, where there isn't increased anything wear/failure/etc. Only benefits.
      08-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Is it even considered a Mod, how can they confirm if the Turbo cracked because of excessive warranty. my car is bone stock and I haven't tried anything as part of modifications. My question was more about the usefulness of the Turbo blanket. on the X5m it sits on top of the OEM heat shield so it should be a pretty easy installation. Do you have these installared in your Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
If your turbo fails (e.g. cracks) due to excessive heat, then there is a strong likely hood of a denied warranty claim. But if your trunk lifter fails, or your rear suspension airbags leak, adding a turbo blanket would not have caused that.

You gotta pay to play. If you're concerned about a warranty, you shouldn't be modifying a car. Or only buying BMW/Dinan approved parts.

There is strong anecdotal evidence, and millions of miles logged for PTP turbo blankets and similar, where there isn't increased anything wear/failure/etc. Only benefits.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi

Are you happy with the performance of these turbo blankets, would you recommend putting these on a BMW X5M. It seems you had to remove the OEM heat shield to install the blanket. Is it worth the effort. I checked with PTP and their blanket can be installed inside or outside the OEM heat shield. Someone installed it over the OEM heat shield. Is it worth spending money and effort and I am not sure if this affect the warranty as well.
If you can afford it and want to reduce the heat in the engine bay I'd go with the PTP blanket. Some guys on the forum have them and have stated that you can rest your hand on the blanket while the engine is running. Seems like it should help reduce bay heat.

I bought the individual blankets and catless Downpipes. I can't really say if the temps reduced at all. The bay still gets pretty hot and I pop the hood when I get home and leave the garage door open to allow it to cool down. It's also a pain to install the individual blankets since they're so large. Only one company sells the smaller t22 blankets and they are $250 each which is the same price as buying one PTP blanket.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the quality. Which brand you installed and is your car also a BMW X5M. I checked with PTP and their blanket is on back order and will only arrive in September.

The PTP one can be installed over the OEM heat shield, so I think the installation may be fairly simple. My only concern is that the warranty on the vehicle may get void.

Quote:
If you can afford it and want to reduce the heat in the engine bay I'd go with the PTP blanket. Some guys on the forum have them and have stated that you can rest your hand on the blanket while the engine is running. Seems like it should help reduce bay heat.

I bought the individual blankets and catless Downpipes. I can't really say if the temps reduced at all. The bay still gets pretty hot and I pop the hood when I get home and leave the garage door open to allow it to cool down. It's also a pain to install the individual blankets since they're so large. Only one company sells the smaller t22 blankets and they are $250 each which is the same price as buying one PTP blanket.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying extra for the quality. Which brand you installed and is your car also a BMW X5M. I checked with PTP and their blanket is on back order and will only arrive in September.

The PTP one can be installed over the OEM heat shield, so I think the installation may be fairly simple. My only concern is that the warranty on the vehicle may get void.
I would Highly, Highly doubt your warranty would be voided by this blanket...and if you have symptoms of your turbos going then just take the blanket off before getting it checked out. The hardest part of install for the PTP would be unscrewing the O2 sensors...otherwise it's easily accessible.

I have a 2012 X5M and installed Thermal Zero T25 blankets on it. The turbos on the X5M are GT22s so very small. The blankets I bought barely fit, and I had to tighten them down with exhaust wrap ties. Then it was kind of a pain to reinstall the heat shield. The individual blankets I bought were $100 each so I paid $200 total vs $500 PTP blanket. Like I said, if you have the cash then the easy right answer is PTP.

Just go to your truck, pop the hood, take off the plastic rear engine cover and you can see right where the blanket would go. You would need some internal torx bits, an extension or two, a 10mm socket, a O2 Sensor socket, and torque wrench. Go to the link below and follow pages 14-19. Too easy

http://www.hotcarparts.de/bilder/Akrapovic/EBA/X5M.pdf

Last edited by jandref321; 08-14-2017 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: added a few words
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

jandref321, Really impressed with your knowledge and your helping attitude You are an asset to the bimmer community. The PDF is really informative.

I contacted PTP and they still dont have the S63 blanket in stock so the project will go on hold. I dont want to mess up with anything by trying to remove the OEM heat shield. My best bet is to install it over the OEM heat shield. I already popped the cover to see what do I need.

The TIS link was also helpful::

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/ByN67Hsz

Do you think removing O2 sensor is required if I install it over the OEM heat shield.

I might leave it like this, I have an exclusionary warranty paid 11700$ for 4 years. Never seen the temp of the car go beyond 210 so seems I am worried without a reason.

I am still a newbie and learning more about my car. Did you see the pic of the over OEM heat installation that I shared before.

Quote:
I would Highly, Highly doubt your warranty would be voided by this blanket...and if you have symptoms of your turbos going then just take the blanket off before getting it checked out. The hardest part of install for the PTP would be unscrewing the O2 sensors...otherwise it's easily accessible.

I have a 2012 X5M and installed Thermal Zero T25 blankets on it. The turbos on the X5M are GT22s so very small. The blankets I bought barely fit, and I had to tighten them down with exhaust wrap ties. Then it was kind of a pain to reinstall the heat shield. The individual blankets I bought were $100 each so I paid $200 total vs $500 PTP blanket. Like I said, if you have the cash then the easy right answer is PTP.

Just go to your truck, pop the hood, take off the plastic rear engine cover and you can see right where the blanket would go. You would need some internal torx bits, an extension or two, a 10mm socket, a O2 Sensor socket, and torque wrench. Go to the link below and follow pages 14-19. Too easy

http://www.hotcarparts.de/bilder/Akrapovic/EBA/X5M.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #16
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
jandref321, Really impressed with your knowledge and your helping attitude You are an asset to the bimmer community. The PDF is really informative.

I contacted PTP and they still dont have the S63 blanket in stock so the project will go on hold. I dont want to mess up with anything by trying to remove the OEM heat shield. My best bet is to install it over the OEM heat shield. I already popped the cover to see what do I need.

The TIS link was also helpful::

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/ByN67Hsz

Do you think removing O2 sensor is required if I install it over the OEM heat shield.

I might leave it like this, I have an exclusionary warranty paid 11700$ for 4 years. Never seen the temp of the car go beyond 210 so seems I am worried without a reason.

I am still a newbie and learning more about my car. Did you see the pic of the over OEM heat installation that I shared before.
Ha! You're right...you can just disconnect the plugs for the O2 sensors and run them through the blanket opening. That is way easier. I did see the picture before...most people install it that way.

People normally put the blankets on to reduce engine bay heat and prevent heat damage to the vacuum/coolant lines. The heat cycles end up hardening and cracking the rubber prematurely. You wouldn't see those effects from the oil temp gauge. The cooling system should be solid.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 03:26 AM   #17
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
I guess i got lucky

they are in stock now!

jumped on PTP website, emailed them asking if they offer a military discount, they did, she gave me the code after i provided them my proof of service, used the code to get the custom S63 blanket and it shipped out and delivered the next day from Austin, Tx up to Dallas, Tx
      08-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonelm3-X5M View Post
I guess i got lucky

they are in stock now!

jumped on PTP website, emailed them asking if they offer a military discount, they did, she gave me the code after i provided them my proof of service, used the code to get the custom S63 blanket and it shipped out and delivered the next day from Austin, Tx up to Dallas, Tx
I checked with them yesterday and they said it will be available early September so I don't know why are they telling different things.. September isn't far either. How much discount they offered you, if you don't mind telling. Why don't you give me your blanket and order a new one through them

Also do you plan to install these over OEM heat shield which will be much easier install , please share some nice pictures of the install including the mechanism you use( spring or wire) as it will be really helpful. BTW, I sent PTP A note inquiring about availability again

Last edited by coolmayank; 08-19-2017 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #19
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Talking

Quote:
I checked with them yesterday and they said it will be available early September so I don't know why are they telling different things.. September isn't far either. How much discount they offered you, if you don't mind telling. Why don't you give me your blanket and order a new one through them

Also do you plan to install these over OEM heat shield which will be much easier install , please share some nice pictures of the install including the mechanism you use( spring or wire) as it will be really helpful. BTW, I sent PTP A note inquiring about availability again
Sorry bro, can't give you mine

there military discount was 8% off

since im installing my new Pure Turbos stage 2 kit, there going on the actual turbo housing not the shields

I'll share the Pics JPeuro sends me for sure!
      08-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

since im installing my new Pure Turbos stage 2 kit, there going on the actual turbo housing not the shields

I was kidding when I asked your blanket, they told me that you placed the order for the last one in stock on 14th august. I will wait it's not too far . Don't forget to share the nice pics of installation as it will be great help .
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I was kidding when I asked your blanket, they told me that you placed the order for the last one in stock on 14th august. I will wait it's not too far . Don't forget to share the nice pics of installation as it will be great help .
no worries bro, i just needed to be clear.

i hope they video record the install but if pics are all they share, i will share them. i also asked the actual tech to give me his take on the install of the pure stage 2 turbos and the blanket

i have not chosen a tune yet, to go on before the JB4+BMS is installed but when i do, it will be time for my X5 ///M to get her own build thread
      08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Have you completed the install, I was curious if you can share some pics/video
Appreciate 0