XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #45
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

I installed that Eisenamn race system on my rig the other day. The sound is unreal, the blips in between shifts sounds like nascar. The cold starts are brutal. Overall, the set up is tame but in m+s mode it's wild. I'll post a vid of a cold start. I'm working with my fab people to install a couple resonators in addition to the stock ones in hopes of blocking out some of the "bark". I think that will be the magic formula. I saw a vid on the sport and the guy was complaining that it sounded quieter than stock. I think this race set up with a couple resonators will do the trick. That and I paid $100 to install it. It took about 25 minutes. Beats the hell out of $800 and 6 hours!
      12-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #46
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
I installed that Eisenamn race system on my rig the other day. The sound is unreal, the blips in between shifts sounds like nascar. The cold starts are brutal. Overall, the set up is tame but in m+s mode it's wild. I'll post a vid of a cold start. I'm working with my fab people to install a couple resonators in addition to the stock ones in hopes of blocking out some of the "bark". I think that will be the magic formula. I saw a vid on the sport and the guy was complaining that it sounded quieter than stock. I think this race set up with a couple resonators will do the trick. That and I paid $100 to install it. It took about 25 minutes. Beats the hell out of $800 and 6 hours!
Do you have dps? I'm still searching for the right sound.

I originally though that keeping the stock exhaust with dps would be the fix, the logic being that I would get the raw sound from the engine and that would be managed at the end. But I'm not satisfied with the sound. There are few spots where the true potential barks out but it's short-lived. The other problem I have is with the stock exhaust box. At certain rpms it has a buzz or rattle that sounds dreadful! I think it's probably the exhaust valves on the inner t/ps. And I don't believe this box wasn't intended to run non-catted.

I am leaning towards a Meisterschaft system as my next step. It's valved and sounds really good - at least on Youtube!

It sounds like the Eisenmann Sport system would have been your first choice since you wouldn't have had to install resonators, is that correct?

It's tough to make decisions when all you have are forum opinions and Youtube clips!

But I know the right combination is there, I've heard it, even if it was fleeting...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #47
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Yeah the sport would have been my first option for sure, worth even the risk of it not being loud enough. I got a deal on a good looking race version and I had to jump all over it.

I agree with your logic, stock exhaust and castles DP's. You would think that makes sense. I already know the problem lies in the fact there are no cats. That is the secret ingredient keeping that cheap sounding bark out of the system. I know for certain that installing some cheap cats in front of the Eisenmann would do it some crazy justice. They would literally serve the function of secondary cats like most AMG's have. The problem of course is that you'd be restricting airflow and that's no good either.

Here's my e63 with mid length headers, catless, to stock muffler:

Here's the same car with Kleemann high flow cats (200 cpsi).

It's almost the same sound. The high flow cats did nothing for the noise and I ended up going back to stock exhaust with the mid length headers.

Point is it's all a pipe dream. The only thing that will get rid of the bark is a good 600+ cpsi cat. That's when you get into quality sound territory.

Here's the X with stock DP's and Eisenmann Race:

12-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #48
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
I wish mine could sound more like my old 4.6is.... In some ways, the X5M sounds more exotic with the dps, but it certainly doesn't have the beefy v8 rumble I liked so much.

Hey M3 Guy, You still have your DPs installed correct? Did the addition of the 100 cell cats make any difference regarding performance or sound?

Couldn't tell you. Had all the pipes installed on a Saturday night and the cats welded in that following Monday morning.

What I can tell you is I think the sound is perfect with this combination. Decent on cold start, quiet at cruising, and great on acceleration. The Eisenmann goes a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng way at making the sound good. I wanted to make sure that the muffler I chose had valves and had a well thought out and refined sound. Eisenmann's are never known for their power, but the sound they make is awesome to me. This sport muffler did the job of cleaning up what is 3 inch x-piped system with 100 cell to muffler. I'll try and get some sound clips eventually. I think you guys will really like it. My X5M sounds like a M car now.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 02:59 AM   #49
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
What's this video and where'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:09 AM   #50
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Couldn't tell you. Had all the pipes installed on a Saturday night and the cats welded in that following Monday morning.

What I can tell you is I think the sound is perfect with this combination. Decent on cold start, quiet at cruising, and great on acceleration. The Eisenmann goes a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng way at making the sound good. I wanted to make sure that the muffler I chose had valves and had a well thought out and refined sound. Eisenmann's are never known for their power, but the sound they make is awesome to me. This sport muffler did the job of cleaning up what is 3 inch x-piped system with 100 cell to muffler. I'll try and get some sound clips eventually. I think you guys will really like it. My X5M sounds like a M car now.
Can you list exactly what you've done again? At the moment I've got gutted downpipes, was thinking of doing an x-pipe and muffler delete but I'm reconsidering since catless downpipes and muffler valves open is already giving me a little drone. Instead I'm thinking about doing exhaust cutouts (electrical or boost actuated, haven't decided) and I'm not sure if the x-pipe helped made it sound more like an M car by adding depth to the exhaust (I've read that's what an x-pipe will do for us) or if you think that only the Eisenmann is what's making your car sound the way you wanted.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414103
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #51
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 n55/ 2012 e70 n63

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
Catless DP don't add any more power.
It always fascinates me how some people can be so blatantly ignorant...
      08-06-2020, 05:37 AM   #52
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjury View Post
Waiting for the gaskets to install my VRSF DPs which i had Ceramic Coated locally. Will report back with results
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
winjury17.00
      08-06-2020, 08:24 AM   #53
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Quote:
Waiting for the gaskets to install my VRSF DPs which i had Ceramic Coated locally. Will report back with results
Curious why you didn't just buy the coated ones direct from VSRF?

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #54
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Curious why you didn't just buy the coated ones direct from VSRF?
Because I wanted to split the business 50/50 and between my friends shop in Bahrain. Both parties happy
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #55
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 n55/ 2012 e70 n63

Quote:
Nice.

What we will see is it was never "lets see if it adds power", the question is how much, and the turbos will spool faster which will give you a quicker throttle response.
      08-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #56
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice.

What we will see is it was never "lets see if it adds power", the question is how much, and the turbos will spool faster which will give you a quicker throttle response.
Yeah I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #57
Jreed977
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 50i N63

I have the Active Autowerke catless downpipes and they are great.
Appreciate 0