XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #45
Dawgman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

No idea, but I am estimating $20k based on a few of their past repairs of this nature. I'll let you know next week when I get the paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #46
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
No idea, but I am estimating $20k based on a few of their past repairs of this nature. I'll let you know next week when I get the paperwork.
Nuts. thanks and good luck...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #47
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995198
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #48
JGard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW iX xDrive50

I'm just sitting here waiting to start feeling vibrations in my car. Fortunately nothing yet, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #49
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaptor View Post
Ouch, I forgot I posted some of this stuff just over a year ago and was highly concerned about my drive shaft failing. So was Rennis. Both of our shafts were inspected and both blew up. Not good.

For anyone else that is concerned or is getting any type of vibration, go get this fixed immediately and press the dealership hard. The collateral damage is ugly if this things blows on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #50
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Just wanted to give an update. Went back last Friday to pick up the car. Exactly 2 weeks after the failure. Not bad considering everything they had to replace, but if you are going through a lot of these failures and have most everything in stock, maybe it is normal.

First off, they said they put 50 miles on the car to ensure everything was proper. When I picked it up, there were heavy grease marks, dirty hand prints, and some scratches around the hood area. Obviously did not use an engine mat. It took me 1 block to realize the steering was out of alignment, with the steering wheel being off to the right and pulling right. Within 2 miles of driving, the low coolant engine light turned on. I called my SA after my 4 mile drive back to my office and he said it is probably air in the hoses and should be fine. Sure. A bit of a concern with the 90 degree temperatures in Seattle last weekend.

Within 3 miles of driving home on I90, the high temperature alarms and warnings started going off. Within 2 more miles, my engine went into shutdown mode. Once again, in rush hour traffic on a Friday. Pull over, wait 15 minutes for the temperature to go down, get another 2 miles, rinse repeat, etc. Finally had to get off the freeway and get picked up. Had to tow it back to BMW. Turns out, a coolant line came off and I had no coolant in the engine.

Having a hard time believing they can test it for 50 miles and within 2 miles of driving the car I was having problems. Add to list getting towed twice in 2 weeks, missing kids soccer games and other important events, alignment having to be redone, grease and scratches on car, wasting several hours of my time, it has been really fun. Oh, and I have to wait a few weeks to get reimbursed from BMW for my tow bill. They changed their policy and won't let the dealership handle this directly with the customer. So now I have to fill out info on my ownership and submit paperwork to BMW and wait. BMW corporate doesn't seem too concerned about customers experience. It is obviously a warranty item. Why make the customer jump through hoops rather than just deal directly with the dealership? Next thing you know, I will have to shell out $20k for the repair, submit all receipts, and wait a month or two for reimbursement. Makes no sense.

All of my paperwork on this repair has been zeroed out. No idea on the cost, but was told it was roughly $20k for the full repair. Add another $1k to the bill with their latest screw ups. Not the experience I was hoping for with my 4th BMW. Planning on 2 new cars within the next year and having an even harder time justifying staying with this brand with the lack of customer service corporate is giving. They just don't seem to get it.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #51
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman
Just wanted to give an update. Went back last Friday to pick up the car. Exactly 2 weeks after the failure. Not bad considering everything they had to replace, but if you are going through a lot of these failures and have most everything in stock, maybe it is normal.

First off, they said they put 50 miles on the car to ensure everything was proper. When I picked it up, there were heavy grease marks, dirty hand prints, and some scratches around the hood area. Obviously did not use an engine mat. It took me 1 block to realize the steering was out of alignment, with the steering wheel being off to the right and pulling right. Within 2 miles of driving, the low coolant engine light turned on. I called my SA after my 4 mile drive back to my office and he said it is probably air in the hoses and should be fine. Sure. A bit of a concern with the 90 degree temperatures in Seattle last weekend.

Within 3 miles of driving home on I90, the high temperature alarms and warnings started going off. Within 2 more miles, my engine went into shutdown mode. Once again, in rush hour traffic on a Friday. Pull over, wait 15 minutes for the temperature to go down, get another 2 miles, rinse repeat, etc. Finally had to get off the freeway and get picked up. Had to tow it back to BMW. Turns out, a coolant line came off and I had no coolant in the engine.

Having a hard time believing they can test it for 50 miles and within 2 miles of driving the car I was having problems. Add to list getting towed twice in 2 weeks, missing kids soccer games and other important events, alignment having to be redone, grease and scratches on car, wasting several hours of my time, it has been really fun. Oh, and I have to wait a few weeks to get reimbursed from BMW for my tow bill. They changed their policy and won't let the dealership handle this directly with the customer. So now I have to fill out info on my ownership and submit paperwork to BMW and wait. BMW corporate doesn't seem too concerned about customers experience. It is obviously a warranty item. Why make the customer jump through hoops rather than just deal directly with the dealership? Next thing you know, I will have to shell out $20k for the repair, submit all receipts, and wait a month or two for reimbursement. Makes no sense.

All of my paperwork on this repair has been zeroed out. No idea on the cost, but was told it was roughly $20k for the full repair. Add another $1k to the bill with their latest screw ups. Not the experience I was hoping for with my 4th BMW. Planning on 2 new cars within the next year and having an even harder time justifying staying with this brand with the lack of customer service corporate is giving. They just don't seem to get it.
You know, sometimes I think it's dealer specific,
I've had some BMW dealers bend over backward and when I had a tow bill they took it on their dime since I was having repair work with them. They where class act. Then these latest clowns are a real joke and sometimes I wonder if they even belong working on or near an automobile.

My i3 when I dropped it off had the same thing greasy hand prints all over my white interior. Not only did I take it back I demanded to talk to the tech and give him a talking to about how to take care of a customers car and that it's not a used chevette, though even a used chevette shouldn't be given back to the customer in any less condition than what it was dropped off as. I could tell from talking to him The dealer didn't look very hard to find this fellow. They replaced all the dirty panels and used white glove treatment after that but I haven't been back.

I have yet to find a great dealer here in Chicago like I did have in Michigan. The whole experience of owning a BMW is different here.

Oh well.

Sorry for your experience man. I'd be beyond livid with those clowns !
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #52
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post

Go straight to the GM of the dealership. Skip the service manager. at a minimum, that car should be machine polished when returned to you.

At the same time, file your experience with BMW North America. Seems like you have a bad dealer and they should have to answer twice for your experience.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #53
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

That sounds terrible man. Even living in Kirkland I refuse to go back to Bellevue. I have an appointment over in Seattle Friday for the drive shaft as well as some other (potentially major) loose ends.

This is my first BMW after being solely Audi for the past 12 years and can say I miss the Audi experience. Even down to the Audi indy shops seem just more into the customer and car experience (sorry BMW diehards).

Hope everything works out for you a lot better from now on.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #54
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
That sounds terrible man. Even living in Kirkland I refuse to go back to Bellevue. I have an appointment over in Seattle Friday for the drive shaft as well as some other (potentially major) loose ends.

This is my first BMW after being solely Audi for the past 12 years and can say I miss the Audi experience. Even down to the Audi indy shops seem just more into the customer and car experience (sorry BMW diehards).

Not disputing the Audi comment as I've never owned one, but keep in mind BMW Bellevue is in a league of their own when it comes to terrible service - from the sales dept. to the service dept. I say this based on personal experiences.

Been at BMW Seattle for 13 years now and have had great service. Also done some work at Strictly BMW in Bellevue (indy shop) - great customer service and track record. If you're looking for that same car/customer service you experienced during your Audi ownership, you're already headed in the right direction by avoiding Bellevue.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #55
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post

x1 about BMW Bellevue.... never again, always get car back with something else broke or missing something (like forgot to put back engine cover etc..) and hand prints all of the car inside and outside... been going to BMW Seattle - much much much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #56
Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Let me pile on BMW Bellevue. If it stops one person from going there it's worth it. When I lived in Seattle I went there and they didn't do what they said they did and scratched my fender from no mat. Then acted like I was bugging them to have it corrected.

Left them a survey just stating the facts and never went back.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #57
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

BMW of Bellevue - fail
Strictly BMW - fail
Eastside Bavarian - fail
BMW of Seattle - my only successful experiences when I had no option/time of doing the work myself

Going to the stealership is my LAST resort. I've got a buddy, Dmitry Velcev, who works at BMW of Seattle that I met through local BMW meets and he's taken care of me EVERY time. He does side work as well, very upfront guy.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #58
JGard
Private First Class
Rep

Recall just officially announced for the driveshafts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/b...shaft-recalls/

Looks like mine is in the clear. Manufactured in Feb of 2011, this is only for X5s build pretty much the middle of 2010
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #59
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Well, it took an entire week to fix a coolant hose and rebleed the coolant system, but I finally got my X back. High quality detail inside and out, but had to bark at them pretty hard to make my point.

Turns out, the hose came out, I had no coolant, and was driving in 90 degree weather. Nice. Pretty funny, the notes said they attempted to reinstall the hose and the C clamp failed. I don't know if they did this for warranty or what, but I have a hard time believing a brand new hose clamp failed after 20 miles of driving. I would bet they just didn't install it correctly.

Told me it would be ready on the 6th, but wanted to take extra time to make sure everything worked, so it would be ready on the 7th. No calls, no communication until 3pm on Friday the 10th. SA is a tool, but the service manager actually followed up with me today to profusely apologize for everything and make sure I was satisfied with everything. So far so good, but anything not related to this warranty I will go to BMW Seattle from now on.

2 years with the car, over $30k in repairs, 6 weeks in the shop. Only good thing is no money out of my pocket, but still. Hard to continue believing in BMW's when it is in the shop this much. All of my GMC's have been absolutely trouble free for the last 10+ years.

This recall cracks me up. These driveshafts can have severe breakdowns. My driveshaft was inches away from causing a major multicar pileup as it was flying through the air at 70MPH. Nice lawyerspeak in the announcement. I guess they were getting tired of $20k repairs for every failure coming into the dealerships. Too little too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #60
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGard View Post
Recall just officially announced for the driveshafts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/b...shaft-recalls/

Looks like mine is in the clear. Manufactured in Feb of 2011, this is only for X5s build pretty much the middle of 2010
Interesting...those build dates look to coincide with 2011 model years, which I think is where most of the failures are occurring.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #61
JGard
Private First Class
Rep

Yep, I agree. I was worried because I have a 2011, but mine was actually manufactured in 2011, too. I still have the extended warranty coverage, though, even though I'm not part of the recall group, so that's good.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #62
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGard
Yep, I agree. I was worried because I have a 2011, but mine was actually manufactured in 2011, too. I still have the extended warranty coverage, though, even though I'm not part of the recall group, so that's good.
Yea just food for thought. Mines a later build.
2012 built in late 2011 and has 110k miles already and their still rock solid.

Let's hope that states true.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #63
DrVolkl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 6spd/ '13 X5M

Wow... glad mine is a 2013 because I didn't do my homework looking into this sorta stuff before I bought the vehicle. On a side note, I will be taking it to BMW of Seattle when I need to, so thanks for that info!

E93 6spd
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #64
094.8x5
Private
Rep
Drives: black on black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
You know, sometimes I think it's dealer specific,
I've had some BMW dealers bend over backward and when I had a tow bill they took it on their dime since I was having repair work with them. They where class act. Then these latest clowns are a real joke and sometimes I wonder if they even belong working on or near an automobile.

My i3 when I dropped it off had the same thing greasy hand prints all over my white interior. Not only did I take it back I demanded to talk to the tech and give him a talking to about how to take care of a customers car and that it's not a used chevette, though even a used chevette shouldn't be given back to the customer in any less condition than what it was dropped off as. I could tell from talking to him The dealer didn't look very hard to find this fellow. They replaced all the dirty panels and used white glove treatment after that but I haven't been back.

I have yet to find a great dealer here in Chicago like I did have in Michigan. The whole experience of owning a BMW is different here.

Oh well.

Sorry for your experience man. I'd be beyond livid with those clowns !
I use Westmont BMW on Ogden,,,been treated great each time
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #65
smolieri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

While getting my injectors replaced. I asked the SA about the drive shaft. Send him the link to the other thread.. He said it was only a service bulletin.. I do not know if they checked it.. My beast was built 2009/12/12
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #66
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman
I just had my drive shaft tear out of my car at 70 mph on the freeway in rush hour traffic last night. Did the N63 recall last year and they inspected the drive shaft and assured me it was fine. I think I mentioned that in the N63 recall thread. I pressed hard for a replacement and had no luck (Bellevue BMW). Told them this was starting to happen quite frequently with what I was reading online and had a paper trail expressing my concerns and documenting they would take care of any damage if it were to go out in the future.

Well, my worst fears happened last night and it was pretty scary. I knew immediately what it was. One big clunk and then another and I then looked into my rear view mirror and watched the drive shaft doing cartwheels down I90. Cars were scattering everywhere I can't believe it didn't take out other cars. It could have been catastrophic for sure and I believe BMW would have been on the hook for all damage and injury as a result. Interestingly enough, the dealership was more concerned about that part of the story compared to the damage.

My SA was very cool about it and said not to worry about anything, it wouldn't cost me a dime. Very routine for them, mine was the 3rd X5 THIS WEEK and they have had several this month alone. They have all parts in stock if that is any indication. I checked out one the cars getting repaired to see what it entails. Definite oil pan and area damage, under carriage, transmission, and possibly engine. They have had to replace a few engines due to damage and mine was the first shaft that flew off the car. All others have stayed attached.

Now for the interesting part. This has gone from a service bulletin, to an extended warranty, to now I believe a full blown recall. I don't know if this recall is official yet, but the dealership really had their head between their legs last night when I came in. My car was in twice last year for repairs and I asked both times to replace the shaft and they couldn't per BMW HQ instructions. The whole gamble of replacing as they should vs. crossing their fingers with failures and which will end up costing more. It sounds now they have finally gotten smart and are going to recall and replace these shafts. Very idiotic not to due this in the first place as this failure on a freeway could easily cause fatalities. My SA felt very bad and seems very relieved that they are treating this more like a recall now as they are seeing way too many failures coming in right now.

I will go back in on Monday and press for replacement of ANYTHING in question. It seems at this point they will not fight me on anything, even if there is engine damage. Anything that got nicked I want a replacement on. I can't even imagine how much this repair will cost, especially if there is an engine involved. Was a bitch getting this off the truck. Car wouldn't start (lost all fluids) and couldn't get it into neutral due to the hydraulics not working. Had to put it on sliders and then dollies once off the truck to roll it away. Very sad sight. I am going to nitpick as much as possible on this repair. I warned them it wouldn't be a fun day if this drive shaft failed and that is exactly what happened. My SA remembers those conversations very well.

I would urge anyone with an affected model to get their shaft replaced ASAP. They are failing at a very high rate right now and the damage isn't pretty. My car is a 2011 50i M Sport with a 9/10 build date with 73k miles. I went back this morning and picked up my drive shaft on the side of the road. Looks like all of the other failures at the U joint.
Same thing happened to me and they don't want to cover under warranty they said its to much of a damage and won't cover the rest just drive shaft.
Can u please help me out with any information regarding to this matter thanks very much