XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

What you like or don't like about your X6

Just to make sure this doesn't become an X6 fan boy club I thought I would put this up so folks can express their thoughts. Now I know that if BMW lets me own one of their cars I am suppose to drink the cool-aid and proselytize on their behalf. I always like to keep things in perspective so I thought I would post this.

What I like:
performance - X6 is quick for its size and handles ridiculously well for a car that weighs this much.

Looks - This car attracts attention where ever it goes and mine is a plain jane space grey.

Comfort - ride is smooth and not jarring.

What I don't like:
Noise - above 65mph there is too much wind noise, not tire noise but wind noise.

running boards - would rather they were not there. not really needed and I would like to be able to get out in bad weather and not worry about my pants getting dirty from them.

tailgate - inability to close via fob, come on everyone else has this even minivans.

Camera - it's passable in daylight but I had better after market one on my X5 that worked very well at night and was not infrared.

Options - They are all built at the same plant so other than government restrictions why can't we all have the same options available when ordering.

decide to add: no one at the dealer has clue how fix these cars because it's too new. my car has been at dealers way too much for a car with less than 7000 miles on it.

Last edited by dmlgc; 01-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

well mine is a 35i so here's my list

am sorry to say there is nothing special about this car other than the handling and thats only because it's a "SAC".

Dislikes:
Run flats I used to have 20" on my X5 and they last +40k km and three years now i have to change two wheels after only 8k km due to wear and i have a spare tyre so whats the point in using RFT ??

also relating to run flats, this is by far the worst BMW we ever owned when it comes to ride comfort and quality ... it just makes alot noises and it has the biggest number of issues i ever saw on a new car

it grabs too much attention that you can't have a pleasant meal without having to go check what that guy is doing sticking his nose on your window to check your interior ~_~

camera sux

hifi sys sux

pedal shifters suck

navi sux

ummm what else

i don't hate it ... i just don't find it that great

MeEmZ
      01-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

BTW X5 4.6is > X6

<3 4.6is
      01-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
wwspiderbig
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEmZ View Post
well mine is a 35i so here's my list

am sorry to say there is nothing special about this car other than the handling and thats only because it's a "SAC".

Dislikes:
Run flats I used to have 20" on my X5 and they last +40k km and three years now i have to change two wheels after only 8k km due to wear and i have a spare tyre so whats the point in using RFT ??

also relating to run flats, this is by far the worst BMW we ever owned when it comes to ride comfort and quality ... it just makes alot noises and it has the biggest number of issues i ever saw on a new car

it grabs too much attention that you can't have a pleasant meal without having to go check what that guy is doing sticking his nose on your window to check your interior ~_~

camera sux

hifi sys sux

pedal shifters suck

navi sux

ummm what else

i don't hate it ... i just don't find it that great

MeEmZ
WOW you don't like much
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Likes...

Style, power, comfort, cup holders, iPOD integration, sound system

Dislikes...

No grab handles, auto lift gate closes too abubtly, turbo lag, backup cam.

As far as iDrive/Nav goes, it is ok and I really can't complain since I had it on my other BMW so I new what I was buying. I would rather have iDrive/Nav than a Lexus that locks everything out while driving.

I never had a car that was perfect at any price point.
      01-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Likes...

Style, power, comfort, cup holders, iPOD integration, sound system
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

oh yeah one more thing i hate is the fact there isn't any storage compartment that can be locked like in any other car
      01-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

First let me say this is my first BMW, I am very impressed with vehicle, however like all of them, there are thing I would like to change. Here is my list:

1 The ability to turn the annoying seat belt buzzer off
2 Must be able to close the tailgate from inside the car
3 Back up camera (need better resolution)
4 Small compartment for cell phone needs to be 1 inch wider
5 Drivers seat should go all the way back when key is turned off and return when key is put in.
6 The heated seats should resume the setting when the car is started. My previous car I set the seats and steering wheel seat in November and I was good till April. Every time I get in the car I have to turn both on.

Thats all I can think of. If there are ways to correct ant of these items feel free to chime in.
Best,
Brian
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Nobody has mentioned poor rear vision and lack of headroom. They were the two main things that stopped me from buying.

Also a kinda high real-world price compared with what else you can buy for the same money, particularly as there are so many deals out there right now.

I still love the front and side views of the vehicle, but not the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Nobody has mentioned poor rear vision and lack of headroom. They were the two main things that stopped me from buying.

Also a kinda high real-world price compared with what else you can buy for the same money, particularly as there are so many deals out there right now.

The rear visibility is no worse than a 650 convertible.

As far as price goes, nothing else compares since this is the only cross over in the segment. The FX is a few notches down.

We need to understand the X6 for what it is and not compare to something we want it to be or some other vehicle. This does not make sense. If I compare the cost of an X6 for $65-$70k and all you get to an M3 for example, the X6 is the better buy with the same or better gas mileage. But they are two different cars with different target markets.

The cost debate has been discussed at length between the 335/M3, 335/535, 335/650, X3/X5, etc. It comes down to what you want, what yours needs are, and what you can afford.

In case no one has noticed a minivan is close to $40k, and Toyota Highlander Hybrid is almost $45k. Cars are not cheap, especially good ones.

The Cadillac Escalade lists for $70k, and they are selling new for $50-$55k with discounts. I still think this vehicle is overpriced for a Tahoe with leather.

In the end, I like the X6. Is it perfect? No. But no BMW is perfect nor any other car.

Enjoy your X6's. Life is too short to fret.
      01-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:

As far as price goes, nothing else compares since this is the only cross over in the segment. The FX is a few notches down.

We need to understand the X6 for what it is and not compare to something we want it to be or some other vehicle. This does not make sense. If I compare the cost of an X6 for $65-$70k and all you get to an M3 for example, the X6 is the better buy with the same or better gas mileage. But they are two different cars with different target markets.

The cost debate has been discussed at length between the 335/M3, 335/535, 335/650, X3/X5, etc. It comes down to what you want, what yours needs are, and what you can afford.

In case no one has noticed a minivan is close to $40k, and Toyota Highlander Hybrid is almost $45k. Cars are not cheap, especially good ones.

The Cadillac Escalade lists for $70k, and they are selling new for $50-$55k with discounts. I still think this vehicle is overpriced for a Tahoe with leather.

In the end, I like the X6. Is it perfect? No. But no BMW is perfect nor any other car.

Enjoy your X6's. Life is too short to fret.
+1 ive been trying to explain this to ppl, eveytime i tell someone im ordering an x6 they are like why??? and it drives me nuts!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

It may not be perfect but its better overall than any other car I've owned. I would rate in 2nd in many categories, which is why its easy to find fault, but I just did a 10.5 hour trip in it in 9.25 hours, with only 20 minutes of down time along the way, and arrived no more tired than after a day in the office.

My one concern is its slight crosswind sensitivity. I've noticed it gets a little "twitchy" in high crosswinds above 80-85 mph. The fact that it only gets a little "twitchy" in those circumstances is probably really good performance for a car of its size but it does occasionally cause me to back off and I don't like that. Since it seems that the effect gets greater with speed, I wonder if its something that could be corrected by an aerodynamic kit or by lowering the car???
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I love my x6 and i think its a great car!...i drove x3 before, so x6 is from other planet..much better!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Mr_X6
Mr_NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X6 Black on Black

First things first....I love my X6, however there are a few things that annoy me about the car

1. The rear view camera is horrible espiecally at night.
2. There are no grab handles
3. It comes standed with only a one disc cd player. How is a 6 disc cd changer an option in a car of this price range?
4. The interior is exactly the same as an X5 minus the bucket seats in the back and the center console.
5. I wish the interior looked more luxurious. It looks a little cheap and bland in my opinion for a car with such a beautiful & unique exterior design
6. Lastly although I love the car I still believe the price is too high for what u actually get. Most of its parts seem to be exactly the same as the X5 and they are made is the same plant, but the difference in price is very high.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh come on, Chuck! Saying that something is "no worse than" something else which is awful is hardly a ringing endorsement. The objective of this thread was to identify those things that people don't like about the X6. Regardless of the 650, rear vision in the X6 sucks.

I think everybody knows and understands that the X6 is a unique first-of-its-kind vehicle. That doesn't mean you can't compare its value for money with other cars. I am buying an ML550 for about $20,000 less than I would have paid for an X6 50i. Performance is only a tad less in the ML, cornering ability is much less, but it is just as classy, way more comfortable, and far more practical. Apples and oranges? Maybe, but I considered both and opted for one, so obviously somebody is comparing them!

You don't have to defend the X6. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh come on, Chuck! Saying that something is "no worse than" something else which is awful is hardly a ringing endorsement. The objective of this thread was to identify those things that people don't like about the X6. Regardless of the 650, rear vision in the X6 sucks.

I think everybody knows and understands that the X6 is a unique first-of-its-kind vehicle. That doesn't mean you can't compare its value for money with other cars. I am buying an ML550 for about $20,000 less than I would have paid for an X6 50i. Performance is only a tad less in the ML, cornering ability is much less, but it is just as classy, way more comfortable, and far more practical. Apples and oranges? Maybe, but I considered both and opted for one, so obviously somebody is comparing them!

You don't have to defend the X6. I like it.
Fair enough. BTW I thought you owned an X6.

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-05-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have been driving "suv thingys" before there were called that and just got use to using side mirrors , only time I really looking rear view mirror is when I see red and blue lights blinking. I guess it depends on what you're use to.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. BTW I thought you owned an X6.
naw think he had one on order then a while back decided to go over to the dark side

sorry SD couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

"The dark side"

Just call me Darth...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #20
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_X6 View Post
First things first....I love my X6, however there are a few things that annoy me about the car

1. The rear view camera is horrible espiecally at night.
2. There are no grab handles
3. It comes standed with only a one disc cd player. How is a 6 disc cd changer an option in a car of this price range?
4. The interior is exactly the same as an X5 minus the bucket seats in the back and the center console.
5. I wish the interior looked more luxurious. It looks a little cheap and bland in my opinion for a car with such a beautiful & unique exterior design
6. Lastly although I love the car I still believe the price is too high for what u actually get. Most of its parts seem to be exactly the same as the X5 and they are made is the same plant, but the difference in price is very high.
I do agree the exterior outshines the interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

My Likes
Performance and economy, with the P-Tronic box, this car shifts and returns great MPG.

I love the handling, wet or dry it will fly around the twisty roads, way quicker than the 635DS I exchanged for it.

Individuality, there is NOTHING out there like it.

Rear space, yep we have NO problems with it, my son is 6 foot tall and has no complains,plenty of room for Four people .

Colour combination: Deap Sea Blue with Oyster Leather, real class as many keep pointing out, it sets the car apart even from other X6's.

High driving position, you see way further than the average car driver.
Dislikes
RVC is of poor resolution.

I-Drive needs the new system, I drove the new 730D SE with the latest I-Drive and it was soooooo much better.

Getting out of the car in wet conditions with the Running boards fitted can be tricky, NOT brushing your cloths on them when they are filthy is a trick I am still mastering.

Thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Dislikes
Getting out of the car in wet conditions with the Running boards fitted can be tricky, NOT brushing your cloths on them when they are filthy is a trick I am still mastering.

Thats about it.
+1 agree 100% wish the running boards were not there , don't serve much purpose and make wearing nice clothes a challenge.

Hint to BMW: next time you come out with a new model get some of the "suits" to take it out the day when it's raining.
Appreciate 0