XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Glacier
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5 4.8is

ABS Sensor and Axle Issue

Unfortunately, I had a bit of an off-road excursion in my E53 4.8is that left the right rear suspension slightly damaged (Bent upper control arm and bent the tab where the control arm mounts to the wheel carrier).

I replaced the wheel carrier and the arm. I had to use a large puller to get the old wheel carrier off the axle. I took the ABS sensor out of the old carrier and installed it in the new carrier. Everything seemed to go back together fine. Immediately afterwards, I got an ABS, Brake, and 4x4 light on the dashboard. I researched the problem and there was a lot of information pointing to a bad ABS sensor. I replaced the sensor and it did not fix the problem. I then swapped the right ABS sensor with the left ABS sensor after reading that if the left sensor was bad, the speedometer wouldn't work. I figured this would indicate if the sensor was bad or not. The speedometer still works, so it appears the sensor is good.

Now I am stumped. Does anyone know what triggers the ABS sensor? I assume its a magnet in or on the axle. Is it possible that I damaged or accidentally knocked off the magnet? Did I possibly damage the wiring upstream of the blue connector, or even just blow a fuse? (I have checked all of the fuses and can't find a problem)

Any ideas, help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will do a full DIY on how to remove the Air Suspension, Install lowering springs, install Camber adjusting bushings, and remove the Susp Inact. message on the dash as soon as I figure out how to solve this problem.

Thanks
Glacier
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Most likely the wiring was damaged too.
Appreciate 0