XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-01-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

2013 X5 35d: Adaptive Headlight Control Malfunction

I've fallen victim to what seems to be a fairly common problem: Adaptive Headlight Control Malfunction. Through all my searching, though, I can't exactly figure out what my issue actually is.

1. I have no lights or bulbs out; everything illuminates.
2. Headlight adjusters work fine (up and down) upon start-up.
3. Side-to-side movement does NOT work when turning steering wheel.

The car itself hasn't been subjected to water or rain in a month as I live in Los Angeles and it sits in the garage when not in use. It occurred during my commute home from the office in 80 degree weather (after sitting in underground parking) so I don't see how it could have been a moisture issue.

Both driver and passenger lights do not move side-to-side when steering in either direction. If it were the gearing or whatever inside of the headlight that controls this, I find it to be highly coincidental that they'd BOTH go out at the exact same time (unless they'd both stop working even if only one side broke?).

If the gears are fine, would it be the actual module under the headlight and would I need to replace both? Would one module failing cause both sides to stop working at the same time even though each light has its own?

Unrelated: The annoying OBC icon/warning is omnipresent - can I not remove it to see time/ambient temp for now until the issue is fixed?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
adkNY
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 e70, 2007 x3 e83

Garage List
There is a level sensor below by the suspension/spring that is part of this system. I had to replace this on my daughters '07 x3 e83. A diag scan tool with BMW specific code helps (like Foxwell). If you need to replace buy at least an oem. I am not anti-asian but I have been burned in the past with cheaper electronic parts that supposedly fit BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkNY View Post
There is a level sensor below by the suspension/spring that is part of this system. I had to replace this on my daughters '07 x3 e83. A diag scan tool with BMW specific code helps (like Foxwell). If you need to replace buy at least an oem. I am not anti-asian but I have been burned in the past with cheaper electronic parts that supposedly fit BMWs.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into this.
Appreciate 0