XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Execuhitch install is a snap & moved to TX

We just moved to Texas from California and needed to tow a small Uhaul trailer with our X5. I shopped around a lot but decided a DIY install of the execuhitch was my best option. The directions are pretty limited, but if you browse around the forums for some of the write ups other guys have done you'll get through it with basic tools. Don't start the job without Red loctite though. The directions don't say it's required, but then they tell you to use it on the bumper bolts on reassembly. The X5 really towed like a dream. Plenty of power for the climbs on I40 east out of Cali, even with roughly 4000lbs on the back. It also had plenty of braking power, even without trailer brakes. I had a little Uhaul 5x8 loaded to the max, and I don't think I felt a single sway or push from the trailer. Here's a couple pics. I had the stock wheels back on for the 1400 mile drive.

And if you're not familiar with the execuhitch, watch this video. It's pretty awesome, and doesn't require any reprogramming. No one has any idea the car has a hitch when the receiver is out. Makes the $800 price tag a little more bearable.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Just what I'm looking for! Got anymore pictures of the install? I'm moving to Texas too in a few months but my car is getting shipped there. How hard is it by the way? Did you have to drill anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertfg View Post
Just what I'm looking for! Got anymore pictures of the install? I'm moving to Texas too in a few months but my car is getting shipped there. How hard is it by the way? Did you have to drill anything?

I didn't really snap any pics during the install because there were pretty good hitch install write ups already available. I started out using the supplied instructions but got to a place where I felt I was going to break/tear the bumper cover. I started comparing the install booklet to some guy's writeup and it was easy after that. The reassembly actually made me love my BMW even more because the simplest things are so well thought out. No drilling, but you need to leave yourself a good 5 or 6 hours and really just take it one step at a time. It feels pretty uncomfortable tearing into your vehicle that far and accessing the battery and tapping into wires and such, but there's really nothing to it. The execuhitch Computer only monitors, and never inputs any signal, so I had no error codes of any sort. My hitch block sensed the receiver and locked it the first time I presented it, and has worked flawlessly ever since.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Shrdlu
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE43

Do you have the self-leveling suspension?

I ask this because I plan to order an X5 six-cyl gasser, and from time to time I'll be towing a single-axle cargo trailer similar to the U-Haul you hauled, along with a full cargo compartment.

I'm concerned about rear-end sagging, and for 2012 the self-leveling feature seems only to be available on the V8s.

From the photo, your rig seems to be level.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrdlu View Post
Do you have the self-leveling suspension?
No I don't. It actually sagged more than I expected it to. The trailer was very heavy in the front, and I think loading it that way might have actually worn the locking pin in the execuhitch more than it would have with a properly loaded trailer. Little word of warning there I guess.

Ours is the "six-cyl gasser" as well. I don't think you'll need self leveling if it's not available in the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

The self leveling rear suspension comes with the 3rd row seating option. I tow my boat which is right around the 6k lb mark with no issues. Plenty of power, and good braking. No trailer sway either.

You really should get the car reprogrammed if you have the OEM wiring harness installed. You get an additional zoom mode on the camera for lining up the hitch to the trailer, and you get stability control to prevent trailer sway.

Here is how level the back of my X5 is while towing