XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

09-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Arrow New factory "Performance Upgrade" for 2010 X6 35i and 50i - boosts hp and tq

Got this on bimmerfile:

There's going to be a new option package for 2010 X6 models called the "Performance Upgrade" (option code: 7RR). It needs, but is not required, to be combined with the ZSP sports package.

Costs: $1500

Power Boost on X6 50i = +40hp / +30lb-ft torque
Performance for X6 50i = 5.1 seconds

Power Boost on X6 35i = +20hp / +30lb-ft torque
Performance for X6 35i = 6.3 seconds

I'd love to see this upgrade option available for other BMW models. It definitely sounds like a better "bang for your buck" than BMW's Performance Power Kit for the 135i and 335i.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplsoleil View Post
Got this on bimmerfile:

There's going to be a new option package for 2010 X6 models called the "Performance Upgrade" (option code: 7RR). It needs, but is not required, to be combined with the ZSP sports package.

Costs: $1500

Power Boost on X6 50i = +40hp / +30lb-ft torque
Performance for X6 50i = 5.1 seconds

Power Boost on X6 35i = +20hp / +30lb-ft torque
Performance for X6 35i = 6.3 seconds

I'd love to see this upgrade option available for other BMW models. It definitely sounds like a better "bang for your buck" than BMW's Performance Power Kit for the 135i and 335i.

I wonder if BMW will offer this aftermarket thru their dealers to existing X6 owners that own 2008 and 2009 models? Can't be more than a simple software tune that seems like any dealer could easily flash it to your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I wonder if BMW will offer this aftermarket thru their dealers to existing X6 owners that own 2008 and 2009 models? Can't be more than a simple software tune that seems like any dealer could easily flash it to your car.
+1
I think BMW is missing a big opportunity in the aftermarket in general, you would think BMW would trust their dealers to do a software flash. I also think BMW should just shelve their ego and make a deal with DINAN, his company has the ability to do the aftermarket stuff and BMW could set the limits.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
+1
I think BMW is missing a big opportunity in the aftermarket in general, you would think BMW would trust their dealers to do a software flash. I also think BMW should just shelve their ego and make a deal with DINAN, his company has the ability to do the aftermarket stuff and BMW could set the limits.
BMW has its own line of "aftermarket" parts- it is known as BMW Performance and this is available for the 135 and 335 as a port installed accessory and there will be a dealer kit later on. The BMW performance parts are extremely well designed and are backed by a real BMW warranty not the fake Dinan one. (Look up the Dinan warranty clauses and horror stories) For the 1 and 3 there is additional cooling components required. It is not stated what specifically is involved with the X6 but most would think that BMW also increased the cooling with this package- once someone has a 7RR I would love to see photos of the inner wheel wells, or when the info is in the BMW system what part #'s the 7RR requires and compare with the 1 and 3...
      09-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
+1
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
BMW has its own line of "aftermarket" parts- it is known as BMW Performance and this is available for the 135 and 335 as a port installed accessory and there will be a dealer kit later on. The BMW performance parts are extremely well designed and are backed by a real BMW warranty not the fake Dinan one. (Look up the Dinan warranty clauses and horror stories) For the 1 and 3 there is additional cooling components required. It is not stated what specifically is involved with the X6 but most would think that BMW also increased the cooling with this package- once someone has a 7RR I would love to see photos of the inner wheel wells, or when the info is in the BMW system what part #'s the 7RR requires and compare with the 1 and 3...

I have researched the stories and most of the time it is a warranty dispute between BMW and Dinan, not an issue with a Dinan part failing. And this is my point if they made an agreement then the issues goes away and the customer gets the best of both worlds. I don't think it would be hard to get Dinan to agree to install BMW approved packages, sure he would like the extra business.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
I have researched the stories and most of the time it is a warranty dispute between BMW and Dinan, not an issue with a Dinan part failing. And this is my point if they made an agreement then the issues goes away and the customer gets the best of both worlds. I don't think it would be hard to get Dinan to agree to install BMW approved packages, sure he would like the extra business.
You make a good point dmlg. Has Dinan received some kind of factory recognition, and is he a factory recognized warranty repair facility? He should own a BMW franchise?

It's interesting that US manufactures have made huge profits from selling aftermarket performance parts, but you don't really see that from the European manufactures, which puzzled me. This leaves the development and resulting profits strictly to the niche marketers, such as Dinan.

But this is hugely expensive for niche marketers, who lack serious resources (except for maybe racing) to bring products to the market. It seems Dinan is really the only one to mount a successful effort in this regard. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that BMW recognizes that both BMW and the niche marketers would increase their profits if BMW lead the way with aftermarket product development.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can say what you want about Dinan and their "fake" warranty but it is just as good as the factory one and they stand by it and I have never had a problem with my previous Dinan vehicle. It all depends on how friendly your dealer is with Dinan. BMW, will always deny the claims if a Dinan part is installed but most Dinan authorized dealers will fix the problem and then get reimbursed from Dinan. Also, BMW performance parts tunes are more conservative and cost more than Dinan, which is already expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Cosmo335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 & E70

Quote:
You can say what you want about Dinan and their "fake" warranty but it is just as good as the factory one and they stand by it and I have never had a problem with my previous Dinan vehicle. It all depends on how friendly your dealer is with Dinan. BMW, will always deny the claims if a Dinan part is installed but most Dinan authorized dealers will fix the problem and then get reimbursed from Dinan. Also, BMW performance parts tunes are more conservative and cost more than Dinan, which is already expensive.
Both BMW deales I have worked for, say Dinan is hard to work with on warranty isues. They never want to pay the claims
      09-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Now what will be nice is for BMW to offer this an after-market option to customers that want the power upgrades for their vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

From what I always understood bmw has no connection with Dinan. In a nutshell Dinan simply offers a warranty on their parts and a warranty covering any damage resulting from their work done to the car. I dont think they would cover any damage that results from something that is through no fault of their own. This is where the problem starts when something does go wrong and BMW and Dinan blame each other.

Also, the BMW Performance Kit for the 135i is not available as yet to the rest of the world so we don't know pricing just yet. I think it is alot more than $1,500 but you still get a BMW backed warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
From what I always understood bmw has no connection with Dinan. In a nutshell Dinan simply offers a warranty on their parts and a warranty covering any damage resulting from their work done to the car. I dont think they would cover any damage that results from something that is through no fault of their own. This is where the problem starts when something does go wrong and BMW and Dinan blame each other.

Also, the BMW Performance Kit for the 135i is not available as yet to the rest of the world so we don't know pricing just yet. I think it is alot more than $1,500 but you still get a BMW backed warranty.
This is true and probably does happen in some cases. I think you just have to be comfortable with the dealer you go to. The dealer I go to has over 400 Dinan customers and has never had any issues so far so that gives me a little peace of mind but I could see where there could be issues like you describe.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can speak from experience, Dinan has backed up their warranty on more thanone occasion for me. I had all injectors replaced and Steve Dinan called the dealership directly to handle it.
Now I have BMW tryting to void my warranty and Dinan has again backed their warranty up by calling the dealership and handling things. I cant speak for the business between bmw and Dinan, but i have nothing but good things to say about how they have helped me out and stood by their warranty while BMWis doing all they can to get out of the warranty.
II find it odd that BMW has a performance tune that elminates the lag we all come to know, but you have to pay for the fix, and if yo have an older MSD80 you have to buy teh MSD81 first then get the tune and additional fan and ducts
      09-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #14
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

If its available for the 50i then maybe it will be available for the 750i. Giggidy....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
nice
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

This will be available after the fact, and the dealer will simply charge for labor.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

If memory serves me right, the Active Hybrid 7 basically has the 4.4l TTV8 (same engine as the X6 50i and 750) but tuned to output 440hp and 480lb-ft. So basically they are offering this "Performance Upgrade" kit that provides the extra boost they have standard on the Active Hybrid 7 TTV8 engine to models that have the same engine but with regular power output...

If that is the case, I don't think that for this modest boost in power that there will be too many changes other than a software upgrade...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
If memory serves me right, the Active Hybrid 7 basically has the 4.4l TTV8 (same engine as the X6 50i and 750) but tuned to output 440hp and 480lb-ft. So basically they are offering this "Performance Upgrade" kit that provides the extra boost they have standard on the Active Hybrid 7 TTV8 engine to models that have the same engine but with regular power output...

If that is the case, I don't think that for this modest boost in power that there will be too many changes other than a software upgrade...
I think the output from the V8 is the same, the difference is the use of two electric motors

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10908132...ially-revealed

BMW has officially unveiled their new X6 ActiveHybrid.

Powered by a 400 hp 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 engine and two electric synchronous motors (rated at 91 hp and 86 hp), the X6 ActiveHybrid has a combined maximum output of 480 hp and 575 lb-ft of torque. This unique powertrain enables the X6 Hybrid to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds, before hitting a limited top speed of 130 mph. More importantly, the hybrid offers a 20% improvement in average fuel consumption (in EU testing) and a CO2 emissions rating of 231 grams per kilometer.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

No the Active 7 is a hybrid- it has an electric motor, batteries and a V8- the name hybrid might have given that a way a bit. The power upgrade is software and cooling based and is not a hybrid.

The X6 hybrid will be here as well, and that is a two mode- so it can run on electric only.
      09-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
No the Active 7 is a hybrid- it has an electric motor, batteries and a V8- the name hybrid might have given that a way a bit. The power upgrade is software and cooling based and is not a hybrid.

The X6 hybrid will be here as well, and that is a two mode- so it can run on electric only.
As you stated, the X6 Active Hybrid is a different setup over the Active Hybrid 7. The X6 will run on electric only as well as gas and electric and gas only mode whereas the 7 will only run in gas and electric or gas only mode.

The difference is that in the 7 they use the electric motors for performance enhancement only (and with that, it will help the fuel economy to a certain degree). There was a document posted in the 7post forum somewhere that pointed out that the Active Hybrid 7 4.4l TTV8 actually got a boost in power output in addition to the electric motors!

I was surprised when I read that document a month or so back too. I originally thought that the performance enhancement came from the addition of the electric motors, but apparently that's not the only source of the acceleration improvement.

If I remember correctly, the Active Hybrid 7 gets from 0 to 100km/h (0-62mph) in 4.9s!

There are other differences between the X6 and 7 hybrid versions. Like the battery type.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0