XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #1
Davethewave1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53

2011 BMW X5xdrive35i serpentine belt WONT FIT!!!

Good afternoon,

I had to replace the alternator on my 2011 X5 xdrive35i and while that was a nightmare...I have ran into an unexpected problem getting the belt back on. I purchased an OEM belt & the part number matches the same old one that I took off. However, when I try to lace it on (following the diagram below) it seems to be about an inch short.

I have pulled and made sure that there are no kinks, bunches or hang ups of any kind. It will not fit in this orientation even if I do not install the idler tensioner and simply try to go straight from the large bottom left pulley in a straight line up to the alternator. HELP!!!

If I use an alternative routing by going under the small center bottom pulley (rather than over it as the diagram shows) I can make it work.

Is there something that I am missing? Does anyone have a diagram other than the one I am posting?

If NO to both of the above questions is it alright for me to go under the center bottom pulley even though the ribbed side of the serpentine belt will therefore be against a flat pulley (generally a NO NO)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Dave
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW BELT DIAGRAM.pdf (163.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: pdf BMW X5 BELT DIAGRAM.pdf (989.2 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by Davethewave1; 12-15-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0