XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
x6guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Adaptive Drive vs. Stiffer Springs

Let's assume that "someone" overlooked getting adaptive drive on his or her X6. Would stiffer springs (along with perhaps lowering the car) achieve a ride like an X6 with adaptive drive? Would there be less body roll when cornering?

Also, would strut & rear sway bars help this as well (if any are even made for the X6)?

Last edited by x6guy; 03-11-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

You forgot to order Adaptive Drive didnt you?! Well, adaptive drive is for handling and comfort. You wont get the comfort by putting in stiffer springs for sure. Lowering on stiffer springs will get you better handling, though you loose some comfort and the high ride height. Wasnt one of the reason's you bought the X6 because of its ride height?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

Nope springs wont do it!

How it works is in the name " Adaptive"
Adaptive drive works by adjusting the Shock absorbers (Dampeners) and not the springs.
It uses a network of sensors to adjust the dampener resistance and anti roll bar strength in response to vehicle behaviour while in motion.

Changing springs / and shock absorbers will just give you better handling and a bumpier ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

with springs performance will be better then adaptive drive, but you'll loose comfort and height, maybe camber. Adaptive drive ftw
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
x6guy
Registered
Rep

From what I've read, adaptive drive makes the springs stiffer or softer depending on the driving environment/style that you are in, and non-sport mode already has slightly stiffer springs than those that that are in non-adaptive drive cars. Is that correct?

So, would putting on slightly stiffer springs help with body roll when cornering? For example, if I was able to get springs that put the stiffness somewhere between non-sport and sport mode in adaptive drive (or leaning towards non-sport), would it get me closer to the feel of adaptive drive without sacrificing too much ride comfort?

Also, do strut/sway bars have anything to do with adaptive drive? I don't see anything about them in the literature.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Adaptive Drive Info:

I was going to order my X6 without Adaptive Drive until I seen this video.

Now I mos-def have Adaptive Drive in my options.

Hope this video helps explain the function of Adaptive Drive.
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
X6M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6guy View Post
From what I've read, adaptive drive makes the springs stiffer or softer depending on the driving environment/style that you are in, and non-sport mode already has slightly stiffer springs than those that that are in non-adaptive drive cars. Is that correct?

So, would putting on slightly stiffer springs help with body roll when cornering? For example, if I was able to get springs that put the stiffness somewhere between non-sport and sport mode in adaptive drive (or leaning towards non-sport), would it get me closer to the feel of adaptive drive without sacrificing too much ride comfort?

Also, do strut/sway bars have anything to do with adaptive drive? I don't see anything about them in the literature.
No, AD is making the shock absorbers stiffer or softer not the springs.
Installing stiffer springs would decrease riding quality and would not make your car feel closer to the X6 with the adaptive drive. The adaptive drive is an active system managed by a number of sensors. Simply changing springs would not gonna fly.

Anything lowering your car would help cornering. Personally, I decided not to go for the springs as this would compromise riding on my X6 with AD. If the look of your X6 is the most important then go for the springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzzy View Post
Nope springs wont do it!

How it works is in the name " Adaptive"
Adaptive drive works by adjusting the Shock absorbers (Dampeners) and not the springs.
It uses a network of sensors to adjust the dampener resistance and anti roll bar strength in response to vehicle behaviour while in motion.

Changing springs / and shock absorbers will just give you better handling and a bumpier ride.
+1
yup that's what it does, not a spring issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batke View Post
I was going to order my X6 without Adaptive Drive until I seen this video.

Now I mos-def have Adaptive Drive in my options.

Hope this video helps explain the function of Adaptive Drive.

+1
I think this video does a good job of explaining how it works.
good find.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

AD is a must have for SAC/SUV/SAV.

there is another video that shows 2, 5 series bmw, 1 w/ & 1 w/o AD, doing a slalom, one behind the other, from the front.
U can definitely see much less body roll & much better handling, in the car w/AD.
Sorry can't seem to locate that video. but i know its out there if someone can google it.
Anyone test driving a X6 needs to take one out with AD & "drive" it to find out for themselves. It's unbelievable how well it works w/ DPC & how hard u can push it, for something so tall & large.
Not that u have to., but It's very confidence inspiring to lknow it's there, when u need to.
I think it's the automotive equivalent of a 300 lb linebacker doing ballet !
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Batke
36th Chamber
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
there is another video that shows 2, 5 series bmw, 1 w/ & 1 w/o AD, doing a slalom, one behind the other, from the front.
U can definitely see much less body roll & much better handling, in the car w/AD.
Sorry can't seem to locate that video. but i know its out there if someone can google it.
Anyone test driving a X6 needs to take one out with AD & "drive" it to find out for themselves. It's unbelievable how well it works w/ DPC & how hard u can push it, for something so tall & large.
Not that u have to., but It's very confidence inspiring to lknow it's there, when u need to.
Here is the video in question.

The part you want is about 1:05 in.
'05 BMW 325i (E46) - Jet Black
'99 Oldsmobile Alero - White

Last edited by Batke; 03-15-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
+1
The most amazing part of the X6 (IMHO) is the way it handles. Your linebacker analogy is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
x6guy
Registered
Rep

So, would stiffer shock absorbers contribute to anti-body roll and thus mimic the feel of AD somewhat?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Adaptive drive is not shock absorbing system

Quote:
So, would stiffer shock absorbers contribute to anti-body roll and thus mimic the feel of AD somewhat?
AD is not shock absorbing system !
If u watch the video, AD coordinates all 4 wheels of the vehicle thru Flex Ray & computers/sensors to control pitch, roll & yaw( the 3 directions of motion),
Shocks control up & down motion of individual wheels, & keep tires on the road surface without uncontrolled bouncing of the vehicle & wheel.
Rear air suspension, controls the pitch or the aft height moves up or down to level with the front.
At least that's how i understand it.
Porsche & MB has their own trademark system doing the same thing.
Maybe someone else have a better explanation.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the only alternative to adaptive drive would be coil-overs, like KW V3's. BUt I don't think they will be as good ar AD. AD is amazing.
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
Appreciate 0