XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Whatever happened to Dinan (Morgan Hill...) tune for X6???

I remember reading some threads on how Dinan is trying to bring a tune to the market, etc etc. I waited for a while and then I personally gave up, went with the Singh Autosport tune and have been very happy with it (see my dyno sheets).

I was reading Singh blog the other day and saw this story posted by the owner which made me think of Dinan and wanted to post the question: "Whatever happened to Dinan... "

http://singhautosport.blogspot.com/2...to-tuning.html

Last edited by BlackX6; 03-23-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
I wouldn't bother with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oops. Here is the link to that story:

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

They are still there.
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/about-us

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...ed=0CAgQnQIwAA
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX6 View Post
Oops. Here is the link to that story:

let's see a rival tuner posts some bad stuff in their blog and then it gets posted in the X6 forums and I should take this as an unbiased review ?

If I was going to tune a BMW the only outfit I would trust would be Dinan, they have been at it longer than anyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
let's see a rival tuner posts some bad stuff in their blog and then it gets posted in the X6 forums and I should take this as an unbiased review ?

If I was going to tune a BMW the only outfit I would trust would be Dinan, they have been at it longer than anyone.
I was just wondering whatever happened to their TUNE for the X6... I remember months ago somebody posted something about them looking for cars to test it on... that was at least 6 months ago. And after reading that admittedly biased "story" on the Singh blog I was just wondering if anybody heard anything NEW about it. It doesn't seem that they have made much progress...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

check out the post by foofitr , they had his x6 for a number of months and he posted pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackX6 View Post
I was just wondering whatever happened to their TUNE for the X6... I remember months ago somebody posted something about them looking for cars to test it on... that was at least 6 months ago. And after reading that admittedly biased "story" on the Singh blog I was just wondering if anybody heard anything NEW about it. It doesn't seem that they have made much progress...
I talked with Steve a few months back when he attended a small show at one of the Southern cal dealerships. I posted a write up on it as well as info from is site where he was requesting people in his area to submit their cars for free test tuning. He needed 4 cars and after that he was going to release his product for sale. Apparently, there has been little interest from consumers. One thing that is different about Dinan products is that they won't release their products until he's had a chance to test it in several cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

My Dinan X6 50i is running great and still turning heads every time I take it out. Although it was eight long months, it was totally worth it considering it was all at no cost and I got to drive Steve's modified 330i in the meantime. It's too bad that no one else has had the opporutnity to experience the difference; the amazing increase in horsepower and torque with the elimination of the turbo lag, the aggresive sounding exhaust, the black cermaic tips, and the high performance red caliper Brembo brakes to top it off...truly nothing else like it! Hopefully they will continue with project since my car is only in stage 2; I can't imagine how much more amazing it will be with more horses and torque in Stage 3!
Here's my old post:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302899
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
X6 V8TT
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
My Dinan X6 50i is running great and still turning heads every time I take it out. Although it was eight long months, it was totally worth it considering it was all at no cost and I got to drive Steve's modified 330i in the meantime. It's too bad that no one else has had the opporutnity to experience the difference; the amazing increase in horsepower and torque with the elimination of the turbo lag, the aggresive sounding exhaust, the black cermaic tips, and the high performance red caliper Brembo brakes to top it off...truly nothing else like it! Hopefully they will continue with project since my car is only in stage 2; I can't imagine how much more amazing it will be with more horses and torque in Stage 3!
Here's my old post:
How do you have the Dinan tune when Dinan doesn't even have it? They're still looking for cars to test it on???

Can we all stop with the lies? I only know of one company who offers the tune for the X6 50i and X6M.

Dinan doesn't have the tune, by the time they do it won't matter any more.

Everyone please stop the BS. When will their groupies understand?

Dinan = No tune for X6 50i or X6M.
21" Double Spoke Wheels
Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 V8TT View Post
How do you have the Dinan tune when Dinan doesn't even have it? They're still looking for cars to test it on???

Can we all stop with the lies? I only know of one company who offers the tune for the X6 50i and X6M.

IF YOU READ THE THREAD you would see that foofitr donated his X6 to Dinan for 8 months so the tune could be developed. Dinan's is looking for 4 cars to do final tests before releasing it to the public.

So congratulations you're a complete group of idiots all by yourself.

Last edited by dmlgc; 03-23-2010 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

You are a dumbass! Try reading the thread! Can't wait until you have engine or transmission problems and you go to a BMW dealer and they tell you your warranty is void. That was a pretty dumb post when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here's my old post:
I read your post and I like some of the exterior modifications... I am personally looking for a better exhaust. The Remus doesn't cut it...

One question though: can you please post the DYNO sheet for the Dinan Tune???... I was curious to compare it to the Singh tune that I have on my car and the DYNO sheet that I posted...

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Thanks Shenard and dmlgc for getting my back. It comments from people like X6V8TT that make me long for the good old days when there were less X6's and people commenting on this forum. I mean I included the link with pictures, what's up with that guy? I don't know if its laziness or stupidity, but it never ceases to amaze me when someone asks a quesiton in this forum that has been discussed upside down and over 20 times! Has it never occured to people to use something as rudimentary as a "Search" function in a forum or understand how to click on a link?
I used to live in Fleamont, and its the same with that town as this forum: the more people that moved in, the more it took the charm and uniqueness, and you were left with overcrowding & ignorance.

Anywho, as far as the dyno sheet, I was never given one. I asked for one when I picked up my car from Dinan Morgan Hill, but they said they can't Dyno a turbo car. I never knew if that was BS or not, so I posted that question way back when I got the car from them in 2009. I received so much more than exhaust from Dinan, I haven't the interest to search and look back and see what was said.

Last edited by foofitr; 03-24-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Shenard and dmlgc for getting my back. It comments from people like X6V8TT that make me long for the good old days when there were less X6's and people commenting on this forum. I mean I included the link with pictures, what's up with that guy? I don't know if its laziness or stupidity, but it never ceases to amaze me when someone asks a quesiton in this forum that has been discussed upside down and over 20 times! Has it never occured to people to use something as rudimentary as a "Search" function in a forum or understand how to click on a link?
I used to live in Fleamont, and its the same with that town as this forum: the more people that moved in, the more it took the charm and uniqueness, and you were left with overcrowding & ignorance.

Anywho, as far as the dyno sheet, I was never given one. I asked for one when I picked up my car from Dinan Morgan Hill, but they said they can't Dyno a turbo car. I never knew if that was BS or not, so I posted that question way back when I got the car from them in 2009. I received so much more than exhaust from Dinan, I haven't the interest to search and look back and see what was said.
How is the exhaust from them?? Does it sound more aggressive than the stock one? Can that be purchased at this time or was it one of a kind? I'm currently trying to get a quote for the Hartge one...

As for the dyno... it sounds like BS.... they can't dyno a "turbo" car??? are they kidding??? Something obviously doesn't sound right... I'm getting the feeling from what you are saying and from that story from the Singh blog (if it's true) that Dinan really doesn't have a tune for the X6... If they did, I would think they would be able to back it up with a dyno sheet and not give us pathetic excuses like that... I guess it doesn't matter. Im personally very happy with my tune, the truck is a monster. Can't wait to get a good exhaust on it :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post

IF YOU READ THE THREAD you would see that foofitr donated his X6 to Dinan for 8 months so the tune could be developed. Dinan's is looking for 4 cars to do final tests before releasing it to the public.

So congratulations you're a complete group of idiots all by yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
You are a dumbass! Try reading the thread! Can't wait until you have engine or transmission problems and you go to a BMW dealer and they tell you your warranty is void. That was a pretty dumb post when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Shenard and dmlgc for getting my back. It comments from people like X6V8TT that make me long for the good old days when there were less X6's and people commenting on this forum. I mean I included the link with pictures, what's up with that guy? I don't know if its laziness or stupidity, but it never ceases to amaze me when someone asks a question in this forum that has been discussed upside down and over 20 times! Has it never occurred to people to use something as rudimentary as a "Search" function in a forum or understand how to click on a link?
I read your complete post back then and your Dinan X6 is awesome. If memory serves me right, I thought you had a couple 'tube vids of you tearing up the street. A thing of beauty!

I too used to live in Nor Cal, not to many miles from "Fleamont" (or wait a minute. . .did he mean Fremont, CA? ). Still love the whole bay area even though it's full of "fleas", fruits and nuts.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 03-25-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
X6 V8TT
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Enough with the name calling start acting like adults now guys. I did go through the entire thread for his X6 and believe or not I like his car a lot. I'm not trying to bash Dinan but the problem with the thread is that he not backing up his numbers. Show us the power that you gained in the 8 months of development. Where is the dyno sheet? Show us the facts. You guys shouldn’t be so naive and believe everything you hear until you see proof. I thought you guys would be a little bit smarter then that. It’s not about being lazy or being stupid. It’s about showing facts. The thread was lacking facts that proves his point.

Dinan can’t dyno a turbo car? Are you kidding me? That’s what they said to you? C’mon any world class tuner would show before and after dyno. I really don't think they have tune at all. If you guys choose to believe Dinan in regards to, "they can't Dyno a turbo car," may God help you. That blog from Singh Autosport was funny but the scary part about it may be true.
21" Double Spoke Wheels
Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #19
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Test the testers !

Every "Standard" or "Reference benchmark" needs to be qualified by consistent scientific repeatable/reproduceable results & methodology.
There may simply not have been sufficient owners of x6's who volunteered their vehicles to Dinan for tuning, so Dinan cannot claim they know everything about the x6's re-tuning.
I'm sure there r enuf 3 series w/ the N54 engine, (same one in the X6 3.5i), that has been successfully retuned by Dinan.
Just because it's the same engine, does not mean it may not have different proprietary tuning software in another model.
Ditto the 4.4 L v8 tt in the x6 5.0i

I surmise there r sufficient liability issues, in light of recent issues w/ Toyota vehicles, for BMW to tamper proof the ECUs in their vehicles..thus, aftermarket tuning becomes more difficult.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...ern-bmw-engine
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

archwerks is correct Dinan has always been methodical about how they do things , many of their cars are running around the streets before they announce they have a tune available. They tuned foofitr's car but are still looking for more cars to test it on before telling the dealerships it's available.

Bottom line is Dinan has been tuning BMW's for a long time and there are plenty of folks in the 3 series (surely the most tune BMW) forum that will attest Dinan delivers high quality product and stands behind his work with a WARRANTY (something no other tuner does as far as I know). I expect when Dinan is satisfied he will release dyno numbers.

X6 V8TT - if you are happy with tune fine have fun but you have to accept that many folks here would only have their BMW tuned by Dinan. Dinan is the premiere name is BMW tuning , period.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Enough with the name calling start acting like adults now guys. I did go through the entire thread for his X6 and believe or not I like his car a lot. I'm not trying to bash Dinan but the problem with the thread is that he not backing up his numbers. Show us the power that you gained in the 8 months of development. Where is the dyno sheet? Show us the facts. You guys shouldn’t be so naive and believe everything you hear until you see proof. I thought you guys would be a little bit smarter then that. It’s not about being lazy or being stupid. It’s about showing facts. The thread was lacking facts that proves his point.

Dinan can’t dyno a turbo car? Are you kidding me? That’s what they said to you? C’mon any world class tuner would show before and after dyno. I really don't think they have tune at all. If you guys choose to believe Dinan in regards to, "they can't Dyno a turbo car," may God help you. That blog from Singh Autosport was funny but the scary part about it may be true.
I hope you don't consider me name calling when I say you're out of step with what Dinan's doing . BTW, do you work for or are you a Singh Autosport vendor?

Go to the tube or Dinan's website - there's plenty of videos out there that Dinan has published. If anything, his data produces lower net output numbers (i.e., more conservative), but they are more reliable and repeatable (with the right equipment) than the other tuners. One aspect is making sure you're pushing enough air through the system to make it think it's actually on the road in real world conditions. Your other tuners aren't willing to make that kind of investment.
Edit: Singh now claims he uses a "real" dyno that looks like a wind tunnel "because these cars need a lot of cold air", indicating they will have a video out soon demonstrating it. FYI: Dinan pioneered that technique several years ago. Note on the tube video below around time stamp 13:00.
Also note Dinan axle style chassis dyno. I wonder if Singh's "real" dyno includes that feature or does it use rollers?
Additionally, Dinan has moved away from roller chassis dyno's and is using chassis dyno's that connect directly to your axle, because he says the tire slippage on the rollers is too subjective when it comes to repeatable results. I don't see your boy Singh Autosport doing that nor do I see that at any of the local dyno shops kicking out data. Not knocking them, but you brought it up.

I don't see your boy Singh offering the kind of warranty Diana offers. If you're a Singh Autosport fan boy, good for you, but don't expect us to be blown away by your uninformed BS. In the future, if you don't want to experience a bunch of name calling, do a little research.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 03-28-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I hope you don't consider me name calling when I say you're out of step with what Dinan's doing . BTW, do you work for or are you a Singh Autosport vendor?

Go to the tube or Dinan's website - there's plenty of videos out there that Dinan has published. If anything, his data produces lower net output numbers (i.e., more conservative), but they are more reliable and repeatable (with the right equipment) than the other tuners. One aspect is making sure you're pushing enough air through the system to make it think it's actually on the road in real world conditions. Your other tuners aren't willing to make that kind of investment.

Additionally, Dinan has moved away from roller chassis dyno's and is using chassis dyno's that connect directly to your axle, because he says the tire slippage on the rollers is too subjective when it comes to repeatable results. I don't see your boy Singh Autosport doing that nor do I see that at any of the local dyno shops kicking out data. Not knocking them, but you brought it up.

I don't see your boy Singh offering the kind of warranty Diana offers. If you're a Singh Autosport fan boy, good for you, but don't expect us to be blown away by your uninformed BS. In the future, if you don't want to experience a bunch of name calling, do a little research.

Thanks
Appreciate 0