XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

02-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

That hood.....

Color matched would look so much better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #24
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
That hood.....

I agree with you. Black hoods look out of place on BMWs (especially on that classy SSII paint!)….but it's not our car
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1807 View Post
I talked to my custom fabrication guy and I think I'm going to have him making me another custom dual gauge pod in my "A" pillar. The P3cars gauge is a clean mounting system but I think my AEM Boost Controller and AFR gauges have a better appeal aesthetically, functionally and overall their precision/performance isn't easily duplicated at their price point. Here are some pictures of the dual gauge pod i had in my A pillar and the 1 behind my steering wheel.
To each their own. To me those gauges are out of place on a sophisticated X5M.
      02-28-2016, 01:13 AM   #26
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
That hood.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I agree with you. Black hoods look out of place on BMWs (especially on that classy SSII paint!)….but it's not our car
I'm inclined to agree with you both and appreciate both of you taking the time to leave your feedback. Ultimately i'm thinking about a two tone paint job.

I want to keep the Silverstone 2 paint on the lower portion of the body and then do a black and carbon fiber upper portion (it will look more like a stripe). I'll try to explain this as best I can and hopefully I can find some pictures of another similar paint job. Starting from the front I want to get a Vorsteiner carbon fiber front lip and then paint the middle of the bumper that lays in between the top of the Vorsteiner front lip and the bottom of the hood in black. Then everything from at least the bottom of the windows up will get a black coat of paint. So on the back hatch it would either get black paint from that first lip below the glass up or the entire upper portion of the back deck where the "BMW & X5M" emblems sit will get done in black. I would finish with a Vorsteiner carbon fiber rear diffuser.

I'm not sure what body line to follow the one at the bottom of the windows or the one that runs through the door handles. I hate the idea of wrapping anything but I might have some put on just to see how I would like the paint job I'm thinking of. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also if you think my idea is distasteful or you just don't like it b/c its not your style I still want to hear your opinion.

Below are some pictures of a newer Jeep SRT8 with a similar two tone paint job so you can get an idea of what I'm thinking of.
Attached Images

02-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #27
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
To each their own. To me those gauges are out of place on a sophisticated X5M.
I still think I would rather get an AFR and Boost gauge that provide fail safes and alarms with cutoffs. If I'm going to be daily driving with a tune that pushes out 718hp the likelihood that I will actually need one of the safety features these gauges provide is more likely that not in my opinion. I started this thread for some ideas on where I could tastefully place the 2 52mm gauges or for an alternative gauge with the same features that my AEM gauges provide. As of now I haven't received any information to help me make a decision that would make more sense then continuing to run my AEM gauges in the A pillar.

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy your weekend.
      02-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #28
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you have your hood painted black?

You can run the mute button on your radar detector to one of the homelink buttons in your mirror.. just a thought.

Instead of doing gauges in your A pillar there is another solution that goes in one of the vents on the left side of the steering column. A lot cleaner.
The hood is aftermarket and its carbon fiber with a clear coat.
      02-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #29
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

What made you decide to go with this over a wk2? Curious because your clearly like to tinker and play and this platform is pretty limited with mods to where the wk2 has a lot.

I originally considered the WK2 over the x5m for reliability and technology... I also think that there are a lot more options as far as minor stuff like wheels, etc. Ultimately the biggest factor ended up being that a good buddy of mine got one and immediately put the RIPP kit on it and did all the fun stuff and I didn't want to be a copy cat. These trucks aren't cheap... $28k to fix a blown motor and your hopes of finding one in a junk yard are slim to none.. So outside for a stage II tune and downpipes, i'm leaving her alone.
      02-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What made you decide to go with this over a wk2? Curious because your clearly like to tinker and play and this platform is pretty limited with mods to where the wk2 has a lot.

I originally considered the WK2 over the x5m for reliability and technology... I also think that there are a lot more options as far as minor stuff like wheels, etc. Ultimately the biggest factor ended up being that a good buddy of mine got one and immediately put the RIPP kit on it and did all the fun stuff and I didn't want to be a copy cat. These trucks aren't cheap... $28k to fix a blown motor and your hopes of finding one in a junk yard are slim to none.. So outside for a stage II tune and downpipes, i'm leaving her alone.
I had a WK1 that was pretty hooked up and loved pretty much everything about it. After driving something that was forced induction I don't think I could ever go back to a NA vehicle. I ultimately decided on the X5M b/c I was really looking for a GTR and couldn't find anything that met my financial constraints as well as the need to get something that was fairly new with low miles. Don't get me wrong my last Jeep was a neck snapper, I always had people paying me compliments and it was just a really unique ride all around. I feel like even though the difference between the wk1 and wk2 would have been a change I was still looking for more of a change then that.

After test driving the X5M I fell in love. I had my Jeep lowered but it still never handled anywhere close to as well as the X5M does stock. I also did a little bit of research into tunes and mods before I bought it and talked myself into PP-Performance's tune with supporting mods that they claim will net you 700+hp. I figured I could live with that and at the very least it will be a positive that there is only so much you can do to these b/c my last Jeep ended up costing more in mods then the Jeep itself cost me to buy. I had a Jeep that I paid $32,000 for and that I personally dumped at least $25,000 into. On top of that when I bought it from Tony Hawk he gave me a receipt for $29,500 from Hennessy Performance. So I thought it was a pretty good idea to make sure I couldn't go fu*kin nuts again and blow my wad trying to propel a SUV into doing a 9 sec. quarter mile.

So my decision was 2 fold I wanted a change from what I had been driving and I wanted to make sure that I didn't get myself into a situation where I was just constantly throwing money at something for mods and ultimately MORE POWER!

Last edited by Travis1807; 02-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #31
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had a WK1 that was pretty hooked up and loved pretty much everything about it. After driving something that was forced induction I don't think I could ever go back to a NA vehicle. I ultimately decided on the X5M b/c I was really looking for a GTR and couldn't find anything that met my financial constraints as well as the need to get something that was fairly new with low miles. Don't get me wrong my last Jeep was a neck snapper, I always had people paying me compliments and it was just a really unique ride all around. I feel like even though the difference between the wk1 and wk2 would have been a change I was still looking for more of a change then that.

After test driving the X5M I fell in love. I had my Jeep lowered but it still never handled anywhere close to as well as the X5M does stock. I also did a little bit of research into tunes and mods before I bought it and talked myself into PP-Performance's tune with supporting mods that they claim will net you 700+hp. I figured I could live with that and at the very least it will be a positive that there is only so much you can do to these b/c my last Jeep ended up costing more in mods then the Jeep itself cost me to buy. I had a Jeep that I paid $32,000 for and that I personally dumped at least $25,000 into. On top of that when I bought it from Tony Hawk he gave me a receipt for $29,500 from Hennessy Performance. So I thought it was a pretty good idea to make sure I couldn't go fu*kin nuts again and blow my wad trying to propel a SUV into doing a 9 sec. quarter mile.

So my decision was 2 fold I wanted a change from what I had been driving and I wanted to make sure that I didn't get myself into a situation where I was just constantly throwing money at something for mods and ultimately MORE POWER!
Sounds pretty close to my reasoning. The handling was one of the biggest but the smoking gun was the rarity. I see WK2 Srt's atleast once if not twice a day. The fact that my buddy got one just nailed the coffin shut for me.
      02-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #32
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds pretty close to my reasoning. The handling was one of the biggest but the smoking gun was the rarity. I see WK2 Srt's atleast once if not twice a day. The fact that my buddy got one just nailed the coffin shut for me.

Do you like your Velos stage 2 tune? Like I said before I have been talking with PP-Performance about their tune and they are claiming 718hp which I believe is a significant amount more then the other 2 tunes that I have considered which are the Velos stage 2 or VF Engineering's stage 2. I realize that the 718 hp claim is arbitrary do to the differences in dyno machines and I'm assuming that the PP-Performance claim is not from a reading taken at the wheels unlike the other companies. PP-Performance did also include with the price of their tune 2 different pulls on their dyno 1 before the tune and 1 after. I'm curious to how you like your Velos tune? I know how highly everyone speaks of their customer service and I have talked to Omar briefly and would agree with the popular consensus. I'm just weary of going balls to the wall and blowing another engine b/c like you said it doubtful I will find one in a junk yard.

718hp at the flywheel would be 568hp at the wheels assuming there is a 21% loss between the two. I'm pretty sure that 21% is the correct loss from engine to rear wheels for an automatic car but please correct me if I'm wrong.
      02-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #33
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you like your Velos stage 2 tune? Like I said before I have been talking with PP-Performance about their tune and they are claiming 718hp which I believe is a significant amount more then the other 2 tunes that I have considered which are the Velos stage 2 or VF Engineering's stage 2. I realize that the 718 hp claim is arbitrary do to the differences in dyno machines and I'm assuming that the PP-Performance claim is not from a reading taken at the wheels unlike the other companies. PP-Performance did also include with the price of their tune 2 different pulls on their dyno 1 before the tune and 1 after. I'm curious to how you like your Velos tune? I know how highly everyone speaks of their customer service and I have talked to Omar briefly and would agree with the popular consensus. I'm just weary of going balls to the wall and blowing another engine b/c like you said it doubtful I will find one in a junk yard.

718hp at the flywheel would be 568hp at the wheels assuming there is a 21% loss between the two. I'm pretty sure that 21% is the correct loss from engine to rear wheels for an automatic car but please correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't focus as much on peak numbers vs. the power difference through the entire power curve. There isn't a ton of power gained up top but you will find a night and day difference in mid range where you likely spend most of your time.

It was easy to go with Velos when I got pricing from Omar... Like you have witnessed yourself.. The service is everything you want and need with near instant access to them, I don't think you'll get that level anywhere else.

These OTS tunes are no where near balls to the wall. They leave all of the factor fail safes in place and from my understanding aren't near as aggressive as running a custom tune where tuners tend to lean against the wall to get gains for demanding customers.
      02-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #34
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Below are some pictures of a newer Jeep SRT8 with a similar two tone paint job so you can get an idea of what I'm thinking of.
I like the 2 tone idea but having hard time imagining it on x5m, did u try photoshop it first?
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #35
socale39
Major
Rep

I think two tone can be pulled off on American muscle but on European vehicles, it always looks off for some reason. I already see where this build is going and I'm just more of an OEM with a little flare kind of guy so it's just not my taste. Not saying one is better than the other.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

IMO...if you're set on this two-tone look I'd at least do a wrap. Otherwise you're going to kill the re-sale value of this X5M.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #37
socale39
Major
Rep

^^^ This. No reason to paint when a wrap would look just as good and be reversible. Otherwise you'll limit your potential buyer demographic significantly when it comes time.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #38
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

This truck is clean for sure with the current wheels and color. Would look mean lowered with the carbon goods (lip, diffuser) and tinted out.
      03-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #39
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pictures of progress on the new intake

As promised here are some pics of how the new intake is coming. I can't wait to hear the BOV and turbos spooling once this is fully complete. It looks like it won't be finished till Tuesday but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!
Attached Images

03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #40
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #41
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Did you have your hood painted black?

You can run the mute button on your radar detector to one of the homelink buttons in your mirror.. just a thought.

Instead of doing gauges in your A pillar there is another solution that goes in one of the vents on the left side of the steering column. A lot cleaner.
I didn't want physical gauges in the interior either, so I did instead...Bluetooth OBDII dongle, Torque app and a generic $50 tablet from Amazon. It's still TBD as to how accurate the boost readings are since I'm only showing 17.4psi pre and post tune, but I think I've got other issues which I've mentioned on my own threads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #42
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PP-Performance

1. Install Ultimate Racing Downpipes will be here thur.
1.1. Install Exhaust Wrap

2. Install Turbo Blankets

3. Tune

Speed Force Racing

Need custom exhaust fabricated with SS 3” tubing. Cut off stock muffler and replace with resonators, SS 3” tubing and new tips. The exhaust I'm having fabricated will look something like this eisenmann exhaust.

In hindsight I should have done wrapping on the downpipes as well, but I'll be doing it again once pipes come down to the sub $500 range. In the meantime I just gutted the factory cats. I didn't even know they made turbo blanket until a few weeks ago.

What muffler/resonator are using using in your system? After doing the downpipes, I've got a little drone, so my plans to do a complete muffler delete had been put on hold. It was earlier this week that I saw muffler systems like the ones you've posted, so I'm back to looking into doing the delete again. My tips are already powdercoated, so now it's just getting a resonator, deciding on if I'm going to proceed with the x-pipe and overall design.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #43
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I almost got a carbon fiber hood but the seller backed out. If my X5M was black, it wouldn't be an issue, but being Alpine White I was going to paint it like this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #44
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still think I would rather get an AFR and Boost gauge that provide fail safes and alarms with cutoffs. If I'm going to be daily driving with a tune that pushes out 718hp the likelihood that I will actually need one of the safety features these gauges provide is more likely that not in my opinion. I started this thread for some ideas on where I could tastefully place the 2 52mm gauges or for an alternative gauge with the same features that my AEM gauges provide. As of now I haven't received any information to help me make a decision that would make more sense then continuing to run my AEM gauges in the A pillar.

Thanks for your feedback and enjoy your weekend.
Having had pillar gauges in the past, I've always hated them causing the strain from being right in your face...not to mention every time someone sees them, suddenly they wanna race. Albeit a completely different vehicle, I had these custom grafted into the dash of my fully built Harley F150. My 740iL has some custom engine work as well and I thought about grafting gauges onto the HVAC vent on top of the dash. Seeing that the X5M has a speaker on the dash, I've considered deleting the speaker if I ever decided to go physical gauges. It looks cleaner and is far easier on the eyes to adjust being on the same plain as the rest of the gauges. Just an idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 03-12-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 1