XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Angry Advice needed please.

Advice needed please. I'm based in the UK but have converted the £ to $ for my American cousins.

Car:
BMW X6 2008 32k miles with extended warranty. Only 3 months out of BMW full warranty.

Issue:
The whole dash board started squeaking and rubbing one month out of warranty. It didn’t get bad until about the beginning of October. I gave the car to a friend who has about 15yrs experience with BMW cars, he works for one of the biggest dealerships in the country.
He had the car for more than 3 hours, trying different thing to see if he could find out where the noise was coming from.
He called me and said, “I pretty much stripped it down and road tested it about 10 times and I believe the noise is coming from the dashboard itself. The dashboard is double skinned and the noise is coming from the movement between the inner and outer shell of the dashboard. To eliminate the noise the whole dashboard would need replacing.

I decided to try and see if I can get BMW to do a good will gesture, considering the car is only 3yrs and 3 months old.
They said in order to diagnose the problem properly they would need to remove the whole dashboard but it’s going to cost me $1592 and no guarantee they would find the reason for the noise. I tried to see if I can get BMW HQ to pay for it. I called them and they said they would only pay for it if it’s mechanical failure as trims are not covered on the extended policy.
I’m 90% sure it’s going to be a full dashboard replacement, but can’t prove it until further investigation is done. I can’t believe BMW is calling a whole dashboard replacement a “trim” A new dashboard is $1500 plus $1550 to fit it, that’s not including the $1592 they want to diagnose the issue.

I really don’t know what to do? The car cost $88k, it’s only done 33k miles and already it might need a new dashboard, I paid $2240 for an extended warranty to cover me for anything expensive and in this case it’s worth nothing.
What grounds do you guys think I got to fight BMW on paying for this?
Appreciate 0