XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
RedRockin
Rep
Drives: X5 30i

Question 1st BMW - any advice?

Hi All,
Been lurking for awhile. Coming from Infiniti G35S and big SUVs prior, I recently ordered my first BMW (X5 30i with Prem, Tech, USB & heated front seats). It will be a lease and delivered late Feb (my request to arrive at G's lease end).

As BMW seems to be a unique breed, I thought to ask if there is anything a BMW noob should learn, read and/or consider. I look forward to the experience and ask to learn from those of you more seasoned in the hopes of avoiding noobie blunders. I am confident the dealer will give me a thorough walk-thru at delivery but I doubt they will volunteer much beyond intro.

Any/all advice eagerly welcomed and appreciated!
T.I.A.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
DaRipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
Welcome RedRockin and congrats on your first BMW. I remember the day when I got my first BMW. My advice is just to keep lurking and reading the forums and get familiar with all your options. Im sure you will posting alot once you get your hands on your ride.

- Darip
Arrived to Port Hueneme 5/15/07
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRipper View Post
Welcome RedRockin and congrats on your first BMW. I remember the day when I got my first BMW. My advice is just to keep lurking and reading the forums and get familiar with all your options. Im sure you will posting alot once you get your hands on your ride.

- Darip
Thanks Darip. Will watch, listen and learn.

Order delivery scheduled to meet G lease end was practical but lurking has me starting to chomp the bit! Looking forward to the first build status report.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
RedRockin
Rep

Could use a bit of help here. As I posted, I ordered my X5 on December 30 and was told by my Sales Consultant that it was ordered for delivery for the end of February (as I requested - to coincide with the end of my Inifiniti lease).

I never received any production updates or announcements, as the dealer had told me I would and as I can clearly see form many posts here that customers ordering these vehicles receive. I never received a production number either.

I just received an email from my sales consultant telling me that my vehicle is now in production and will be finished on or about Jan 22 and should be at the dealership by the end of January. He further states that he knows I did not want it so soon but thought I would want to know this news.

From all I read here, and in other forums, this seems very out of the normal course of events and I am suspicious. On the one hand, I could easily be excited (even though I would have to return the Infiniti almost a month early and still have to pay for that month) and on the other hand this has me raising an eyebrow.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc.?? Never having dealt with this situation, I hope some of you with more experience in these matters might offer some advice.

T.I.A.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
XXX555
Open Air
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockin View Post
Could use a bit of help here. As I posted, I ordered my X5 on December 30 and was told by my Sales Consultant that it was ordered for delivery for the end of February (as I requested - to coincide with the end of my Inifiniti lease).

I never received any production updates or announcements, as the dealer had told me I would and as I can clearly see form many posts here that customers ordering these vehicles receive. I never received a production number either.

I just received an email from my sales consultant telling me that my vehicle is now in production and will be finished on or about Jan 22 and should be at the dealership by the end of January. He further states that he knows I did not want it so soon but thought I would want to know this news.

From all I read here, and in other forums, this seems very out of the normal course of events and I am suspicious. On the one hand, I could easily be excited (even though I would have to return the Infiniti almost a month early and still have to pay for that month) and on the other hand this has me raising an eyebrow.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc.?? Never having dealt with this situation, I hope some of you with more experience in these matters might offer some advice.

T.I.A.
Perhaps they just modified a vehicle already ordered and you got moved up in line. See if your dealer will split the last month lease on your G35 or give you some similar discount for taking delivery early.

If you think your getting the shaft somehow I cannot figure then have your CA print out his bmw build screen showing when he ordered your vehicle and when it was given a production number, etc....

Curious why you would order the 3.0 gasoline over the diesel with more performance and economy for about the same price?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
Perhaps they just modified a vehicle already ordered and you got moved up in line. See if your dealer will split the last month lease on your G35 or give you some similar discount for taking delivery early.

If you think your getting the shaft somehow I cannot figure then have your CA print out his bmw build screen showing when he ordered your vehicle and when it was given a production number, etc....

Curious why you would order the 3.0 gasoline over the diesel with more performance and economy for about the same price?
Thanks XXX555, I will look into the possibility that they may do something for me (but won't hold my breath as the deal was very thin for them). As of now, I haven't even yet responded to the email. Doubt I am "getting the shaft" but it does seem suspicious. I suspect it may be more something like the sales rep just told me what I wanted to hear about the delivery date and probably put the order in to get one more on the books before 12/31. I haven't asked if this means I have to take delivery as soon as it arrives or if I can wait. I doubt the latter because that might mean storage cost to them.

As for the 3.0 vs diesel, I am stretching for this vehicle and almost passed altogether. While I never really ran the full numbers on the d, I got such a good deal on the 3.0 that I suspect the d would probably have pushed me beyond stretch point. Also, I live in a rural area and while diesel is certainly available, it is less so than gas.

If any more thoughts/suggestions - I welcome all advice. And thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
DaRipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
RedRockin, when you ordered the car back on Dec 30 they should of told you your production number. From there you can call 1-800-831-1117 or go BMWUS account web page to check status.

I would agree with XXX555 and try to negotiate something with the dealership to accept the vehicle early.

- DaRip
Arrived to Port Hueneme 5/15/07
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRipper View Post
RedRockin, when you ordered the car back on Dec 30 they should of told you your production number. From there you can call 1-800-831-1117 or go BMWUS account web page to check status.

I would agree with XXX555 and try to negotiate something with the dealership to accept the vehicle early.

- DaRip
Thank D. They told me the vehicle could be ready in 4 to 5 weeks. When I told them I did not want it until end Feb (and had previously told them at beginning of process that I was in a lease until end Feb), they told me it would be no prob and I would receive the production info when it got to that point. Given he is now telling me build finish 1/22 and at dealership by end Jan, I suspect they never delayed the production as promised. I'll talk with them and see what happens... This is a considerable bump in my effective cost and while a sooner delivery would reduce my bit chomping by a few weeks, it also makes me feel disrespected.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockin View Post

T.I.A.
EDIT: I just looked back thru the first email from dealer confirming my order was approved. Within the attachment (which on first look, back then, I read as a more formal build description) there is an order number the sales consultant had not pointed out and I had missed it too. Sales had told me I would receive updates. I just called the BMW line and the status report indicates the vehicle is scheduled for production with no production date yet. This only further confuses me about the email I received from the sales consultant today!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

So a few things could have happened. They lost production slots and had to put yours in ASAP, they could have made a mistake and sent you someone else's information.

there have been some funky issues w/ the USA BMW production in the past month in which they were under equipped to handle production needs which created some good delays, so maybe they ordered early to ensure you got the car when promised and it wasn't delayed.

Basically if it gets to your dealership before you are ready go there and CHECK THE MILEAGE - make sure while its on the lot they don't use it for test drives etc.
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
RedRockin
Rep

Thanks Yr1o1,
I called the BMW line again this morning and now it says estimated completion 1/22 which coincides with the CA's email. Although last night's call had no date - only "scheduled" so I guess the CA got a heads-up before the status line was updated.

Will see what happens next...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Citgo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 & 2007 X5

So what happened? Did it get built on 1/22? Is it on it's way? When do you get it? I thought the X5's were built in Graz Austria? How will the get it from Europe to AZ in 1 week? Are the X's built in South Carolina as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citgo View Post
So what happened? Did it get built on 1/22? Is it on it's way? When do you get it? I thought the X5's were built in Graz Austria? How will the get it from Europe to AZ in 1 week? Are the X's built in South Carolina as well?
American X5s are built in SC (I would assume European X5s are still built in Germany). "Production" was completed on 1/20, then "paint shop" and as of 1/22 the phone system (haven't done the on-line registration yet) said it was awaiting a truck. No mention of VPC, which I think happens there in S.C. for AZ vehicles. Not sure what awaiting truck means - could mean to VPC or could mean truck to AZ. These titles are a bit confusing after seeing a S.C. production video (from 2007) that is posted on another forum. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...ocNo=PF0002577 Clearly paint is early in the process and assembly and then final inspections. So, "production" then "paint shop" then "awaiting truck" are somewhat misleading.

I think Az vehicles come by truck. I'll check again tomorrow but suspect it should be here in the next 10 days or so.

The dealer says I can pick it up when I want it. They apparently have a "sold room" and hold vehicles until the buyers are ready. Of course, at this point, I'll probably forego practicality and just pick it up when it is ready at the dealer.

Last edited by RedRockin; 01-24-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0