XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
RetroB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

BMW X5: Engine swap

Hello gentlemen,

during the past week a friends X5 30D has had its engine completely destroyed due to poor maintenance and the timing chain braking as a result of overwear.

I'd rather not go into specific details about the event or the maintenance as I myself do not know them exactly and because that is besides the point. We've got a bimmer without a heart here!

The engine has been deemed unsalvageable by a certified BMW mechanic
(I'm talking bent valves, crankshafts, the lot).
The dealer has estimated the cost of a replacement engine to be in the range of 11-12k€

The question I have for anyone who has had any experience with the matter is:
Which BMW X5 engines are fit for an engine swap. Besides the same exact engine model (which I believe to be the M57D30TÜ2), what other options of engine swaps do we have?

Would it be feasible to swap the existing 30d for a 40d or would that be too complicated of a job (the 40d engine is the N57D30T0 one).

So, to recap: Since we are going to have to swap the engine, Ideally it would be for a more powerful one Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. I'm no expert but obviously the whole setup for each X5 is different, even within different years for the same engine BMW has assembled and routed brake lines, power steering, coolant etc in different ways. I doubt many if anybody has taken the time to do the research on routing and compatibility of transmission, wiring harness, etc. would be a big job and investment since even after the planning you would be chasing bugs for a long time not to mention the time to actually swap and fabricate stuff to fit. I think it was turner who built the E46 330 ZHP swapped to S54, M3 tranny and LSD which essentially made it the only 4 door M3 for that chassis. They had to have done a lot to make it work and I'm sure if something broke it would have to be a one-off expensive fix.
I'd stick with the standard engine if it was me, but the temptation to go big is always there. If you do it make sure to document so future owners can learn and upgrade in the future
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. I'm no expert but obviously the whole setup for each X5 is different, even within different years for the same engine BMW has assembled and routed brake lines, power steering, coolant etc in different ways. I doubt many if anybody has taken the time to do the research on routing and compatibility of transmission, wiring harness, etc. would be a big job and investment since even after the planning you would be chasing bugs for a long time not to mention the time to actually swap and fabricate stuff to fit. I think it was turner who built the E46 330 ZHP swapped to S54, M3 tranny and LSD which essentially made it the only 4 door M3 for that chassis. They had to have done a lot to make it work and I'm sure if something broke it would have to be a one-off expensive fix.
I'd stick with the standard engine if it was me, but the temptation to go big is always there. If you do it make sure to document so future owners can learn and upgrade in the future
Technically anything is possible with money to burn.

They put the M5 V10 in a BMW Z4 and it worked like a charm and kicked ass.

The x5 will fit any engine it came with but their may be many many things you'd have to swap and replace to make it fit. The ECU and everything will also have to be swapped.

Frame, electrical, cooling and the like would have to be looked at. Small changes where made for each, can't just drop in an x5m engine and hook it up and your off.

No one has probably answered because the truth is it be cheaper to probably just buy a new X5 or replace it with the same engine. Then it's more of a bolt on and your good to go.

The e70 has a lot of very techie stuff under the hood and it's not like a car from the 70's, your best best is to find a low mileage engine like the one that blew up and just replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
I agree with -C-. To go from a straight 6 to a V8,...you're looking at different half-shafts,...possibly different CV hubs at the front wheels,...Same tranny? I doubt it,...driveshaft?...doubt it,....ECU, most definitely will need a new one,....Wiring Harnest(...you may want to play the lottery on this one),...the parts list would make you take up LSD as a hobby! That said, I'd recommend just replacing with same engine,...as you will know exactly what you have.

Edit: Engine mounts,....Cat-Cons,...Exhaust Manifolds,....another Turbo,...tubing, sensors, etc! The labor alone on the rebuild would make me twitch for months,....let alone the labor to install a V8 engine in place of a straight-6!

The cost would be sickening to say the least!

Hth
      12-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I agree with -C-. To go from a straight 6 to a V8,...you're looking at different half-shafts,...possibly different CV hubs at the front wheels,...Same tranny? I doubt it,...driveshaft?...doubt it,....ECU, most definitely will need a new one,....Wiring Harnest(...you may want to play the lottery on this one),...the parts list would make you take up LSD as a hobby! That said, I'd recommend just replacing with same engine,...as you will know exactly what you have.

Edit: Engine mounts,....Cat-Cons,...Exhaust Manifolds,....another Turbo,...tubing, sensors, etc! The labor alone on the rebuild would make me twitch for months,....let alone the labor to install a V8 engine in place of a straight-6!

The cost would be sickening to say the least!

Hth
Probably buy 2 x5m's for the cost to make a fake one.

But even a different diesel motor has completely different setup. None will be plug and play. And the cost involved would make no sense at all. Just stick with the same engine.

Just, fix and sell and buy what you want.

Or fix and and enjoy what you have.
Appreciate 0