XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
JRRdz
Rep
Drives: X5

I need advice from experience bicycle lovers out there.

I need advice from experience bicycle lovers out there. I am looking to set up my 2012 X5 to carry bicycles in order to take my little girl on interesting bike rides. My long-term plan also includes recruiting my wife so we will eventually carry three bikes. Mine is a fairly large street bike, my daughter has a small kids bike, and my wife uses a medium size cruiser. I have been researching top of the truck, hitch, and the BMW custom behind the car mount; but what I am missing in my research is the actual experience from BMW owners.

Here is what I have learned so far:

Option: Set up cross bars on the top and use Yakima or Tule bike mounts
Cost: ~ $550
Advantages:
+ Can add third bike in a future
+ Can use the cross bars for a cargo roof box for longer trips
Disadvantages:
- Risk of scratching the car while mounting and dismounting

Option: BMW’s Rear-Mounted Bicycle carrier
Cost: ~ $670
Advantages:
+Designed for my truck
+ Easy to load and unload bicycles
Disadvantages:
- Can’t be expanded to third bike if my wife wants to join us
- Access to trunk
- 22% extra cost

Option: Install Hitch and use a hitch mounted bike carrier
Cost: ~ $1,100
Advantages:
+ Most hitch mounted bike carriers can swing away giving access to the trunk
Disadvantages:
- Access to trunk
- Twice the cost of the first option

I am also looking for your experiences, not only loading and unloading, but also how it affect the driving experience.

Any advice?

Last edited by JRRdz; 07-04-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128

IMHO, if I'm spending 700 for a tow bolt mount, I'm going to put in the extra 400-500 for the hitch. I don't like top mounts for so many reasons, not limited to scratches, hassle, and noise. But it would allow you 3 bikes, so it may be your best option.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRdz View Post
I need advice from experience bicycle lovers out there. I am looking to set up my 2012 X5 to carry bicycles in order to take my little girl on interesting bike rides. My long-term plan also includes recruiting my wife so we will eventually carry three bikes. Mine is a fairly large street bike, my daughter has a small kids bike, and my wife uses a medium size cruiser. I have been researching top of the truck, hitch, and the BMW custom behind the car mount; but what I am missing in my research is the actual experience from BMW owners.

Here is what I have learned so far:

Option: Set up cross bars on the top and use Yakima or Tule bike mounts
Cost: ~ $550
Advantages:
+ Can add third bike in a future
+ Can use the cross bars for a cargo roof box for longer trips
Disadvantages:
- Risk of scratching the car while mounting and dismounting

Option: BMW’s Rear-Mounted Bicycle carrier
Cost: ~ $670
Advantages:
+Designed for my truck
Disadvantages:
- Access to trunk
- 22% extra cost

Option: Install Hitch and use a hitch mounted bike carrier
Cost: ~ $1,100
Advantages:
+ Most hitch mounted bike carriers can swing away giving access to the trunk
Disadvantages:
- Access to trunk
- Twice the cost of the first option

Thule make a hitch mount Rack for 4 bikes. I use it all the time with my x5.
I am also looking for your experiences, not only loading and unloading, but also how it affect the driving experience.

Any advice?
Thule make a hitch mount rack for 4 bikes. Use it all the time with my x5.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Marwan1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d

Read this thread. I and others discuss the BMW rack that goes in the eye sockets. It can be very easily removed in less than a minute and access to trunk is not an issue as the rack swings back to allow opening of both upper and lower trunk gates.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...818&highlight=

Also, while the rack is badged by BMW, it's actually made by Atera Strada. Check out their website here. I think they make an extension for a third bike.

http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...ra_strada.html
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Very similar situation. I am considering the same options. I am leaning against the roof mount as I have a bad experience causing $7K of damage to bike, car, and garage. You can picture what happened.

I already own a Thule platform rack (916CTR) that holds 2 bikes, with available expansion to 4 bikes for <$300. Love the rack as the bikes don't touch and nothing touches the bike frames.

I am leaning towards installing a hitch on our X5 35d. It would cost me approx $1K for the install of hitch and the Thule 2-bike extension. Also have the added benefit for towing, etc if the needs arise.

I do not see the BMW rear rack as a good option for me as it is special for BMW and has no reuse. My Thule rack is 5 years old and should last as long as I am riding bikes. The Thule will have a lot more years of service and can work across multiple vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

I was in the same situation. I paid about $200 for a DrawTite/Reese Hitch and installed it myself in about 45 minutes.

I didn't need to tow anything except my Yakima bike carrier. Installation was pretty easy, looks decent and definitely the economical solution.

Roof racks are nice, but they are a pain to load and cause significant wind drag if you're going on any highways to bike.

Here's the one I got:
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_BMW_X5.htm
(I ordered it from this web site as well)

Since you have a 2012, I think this is the one you need:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2012106127
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

BMW!

I have a Thule 2 bike platform bike rack.. LOVE IT! (but it weighs about 75lbs- by the time I'm done adding it to my then Jeep Cherokee- I'm exhausted.

Got a new X5 dealer wanted 950 to add a hitch.. I hate the look of a hitch.. it's the only thing rusty on the rear end of any car - yes I waxed my old one like nobody's business.

Then I stumbled around and saw the tow hook mounted bike rack.. it's just as nice as the BMW- aluminum and it 's well made- sexy enough to leave it on the vehicle.. (my thule I removed after my rides.. weekly-- ugghh)

Haven't used it yet.. but all I can say is I like the look and fit finish of the BMW.

if anyone is in NH I have a nearly NEW thule rack for two bikes.. for sale 200.00-- retails new 400.00 =) *no shipping- this thing is a BEAST!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited by BMW603; 03-12-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing a rear mounted bicycle carrier. At the time I owned a 2000 Landcruiser, and could always place my bike inside the vehicle. One of my sons started cycling with me last year, so I decided to purchase a rear mounted bicycle carrier. THis is the one I purchased:

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/bike/sherpa/

This company, in my humble opinion makes the best bike rack you can buy. Unfortunately, the cost of keeping my Landcruiser on the road after 12 years became an expensive proposition. Last year I purchased an X5 35d without a tow package. Looking at all of the options, including a tow package retrofit, I decided on the BMW rear mounted carrier for a number of reasons. It is designed to fit this vehicle, it looks the part, and, most importantly, it is light and east to maneuver on and off of the vehicle. getbmwparts.com shipped it across the country to me for $628 all in.

If you desire to purchase a slightly used Sherpa, please PM me, it's in my basement.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I did a lot of research prior to purchasing a rear mounted bicycle carrier. At the time I owned a 2000 Landcruiser, and could always place my bike inside the vehicle. One of my sons started cycling with me last year, so I decided to purchase a rear mounted bicycle carrier. THis is the one I purchased:

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/bike/sherpa/

This company, in my humble opinion makes the best bike rack you can buy. Unfortunately, the cost of keeping my Landcruiser on the road after 12 years became an expensive proposition. Last year I purchased an X5 35d without a tow package. Looking at all of the options, including a tow package retrofit, I decided on the BMW rear mounted carrier for a number of reasons. It is designed to fit this vehicle, it looks the part, and, most importantly, it is light and east to maneuver on and off of the vehicle. getbmwparts.com shipped it across the country to me for $628 all in.

If you desire to purchase a slightly used Sherpa, please PM me, it's in my basement.
Radio-- I got the same rack.. since I get a new bike rack each time I get a new car--- And I agree fits this car-- and looks amazing! question: Ive not added the rack yet.. just had x5 35d a few weeks..and it's too cold to bike.. how do I get the tow covers off? and since I don't want to lose any covers.. what did you do? remove all together?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
EuroTra$H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

As an avid cyclist and former racer I will weigh in. I personally love to have my bikes roof mounted. Aside from the dangers of low overhangs, I like all the other aspects. Easy access to trunk, theft deterrent, and virtually no chance for scratching the bikes or the X. Add that a slight rear end tap will not destroy several thousands of dollars worth of precious carbon fiber goodness. I also like that I can loan up some wheel holders and carry up to 4 road bikes topside. This leaves the trunk free for gear, and a cooler to carry post ride refreshments
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Longhorn 35d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 (E70) 35d

We are both avid cyclists and former racers. Due to an unfortunate accident I would not carry a bike in the roof of my car again. No it was not with an underpass or a parking garage... it was a rock that flew from a construction truck while in the interstate what messed up my carbon fiber racing bike... lucky it was my bike and not my windshield, but your bike is exposed to what ever the front of your car is exposed to. After that I installed a hitch in the vehicle I owned at the time and bought this carrier:
<http://www.saris.com/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images. tpl&product_id=73&option=com_virtuemart>
The one we owned is a two bike carrier, but as you can see they make a three bike carrier too. We had three different vehicles after that and still have the same bike carrier. It is not that pricey and it is lite, my wife can install it by herself when she needs to be my SAG wagon and pick me up at remote locations every once in a while.
Enjoy your ride,

Longhorn 35d
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

I use the Roof Rack because I like the security of it as well as having my back area not exposed to a tapping from the backside. It has happened before and it was a pain to get them to pay for damaged to an expensive road bike. I like the BMW rack for the tow hook and used one as a loaner. But it is cumbersome in the end for me to take off and on. The roof rack stays on. I have the BMW roof rack system with the Road Bike Racks which I find that BMW fell asleep on the design then they didn't think about having two of them and left/right sides. They designed it for the UK it seem for right hand driven cars. When you change it over to the left side fitment it pushes the front of the rack and the placement of the clamping parts about 4 inches further than the right side.

Otherwise I am happy with it.
Appreciate 0