XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M

HVAC Ventilation Fan Sqealing Problem

Has anyone had any experience with the fan squealing in their E70 X5? I'm trying to figure out what it is and the dealer cannot replicate it.

Symptoms: A loud squeal will start coming from the ventilation system. If I turn up the fan speed, it will change pitch and volume. It the loudest in the middle speed range. If I spike the brakes, turn left or accelerate hard, it will quiet or go away completely. It will return or get worse when the vehicle settles/stops or if I turn right. The condition is intermittent, but the previously stated happens when the squealing is present.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
Sounds like the bearings in the HVAC fan is dry. Getting to them is the hard part.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
MIX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 3.0si

I have the same issue with my 08. Only happens when it's very cold. This has been brought up on other sites, and more than likely on this one. A couple people have managed to duplicate it for the dealer, or get it recorded, and have the the fan replaced for the heat/ac. It seemed to do the trick. It's too bad manufacturers don't trust us when we have these issue, and just fix what needs to be fixed. I'm sure BMW is WELL aware of this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I am willing to bet it is the fan bearings as well, but the dealer is unwilling to submit a warranty claim and replace the part without knowing for sure. I think I'm going to commit to pay for the replacement of the fan if they can't prove warranty-covered failure once it's out of the vehicle.

I have video of the thing screaming, but my dealer says they can't act on the video alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It was the fan motor. Replaced under warranty after the dealership duplicated the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
georgevan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318

This kind of problem has occured to us several times,with older BMW´s.
(150.000 kms about)
The problem is dirth collected on the rotor from the carbon brushes of the fan motor.
It is a small dark layer on the copper rotor.
After removing this discolouring,carefully,with very fine grinding paper,the squealing will be over.
(Seldom reason of squealing are bearings.I have never experienced this))
It needs a little more knowledge of engineering,to do this reparation.
And you must take your time....
The lifting out of the fan with motor will not be too difficult.(However..???)

The removal of the metal end cover of the electro motor must be done with the right amount of power. It is pressed in place by steel holders.
I use chisel and hammer,and pliers.Carefull,as mentioned...!!!
Than I take the coal brushes off the rotor,and with long strips of grinding paper (30 cm x 6 mm ),I clean the copper surface.
Surely dust has collected inside the motor,which can be removed with electro clean.
Reassemble parts,
(Push fan little in motor direction,otherwise coal brushes don´t reach rotor) and put steel cover plate in place.
Hammer steel holders,so cover plate stays firm in place.

I did this reparation several times,and only last time I was not sure,if operation succeeded,as I wanted,because the copper rotor was deeply scratched.
Am available,to provide further specific information.Fr.gr.George

Last edited by georgevan; 03-08-2013 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: grammatical mistake
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
MIX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevan View Post
This kind of problem has occured to us several times,with older BMW´s.
(150.000 kms about)
The problem is dirth collected on the rotor from the carbon brushes of the fan motor.
It is a small dark layer on the copper rotor.
After removing this discolouring,carefully,with very fine grinding paper,the squealing will be over.
(Seldom reason of squealing are bearings.I have never experienced this))
It needs a little more knowledge of engineering,to do this reparation.
And you must take your time....
The lifting out of the fan with motor will not be too difficult.(However..???)

The removal of the metal end cover of the electro motor must be done with the right amount of power. It is pressed in place by steel holders.
I use chisel and hammer,and pliers.Carefull,as mentioned...!!!
Than I take the coal brushes off the rotor,and with long strips of grinding paper (30 cm x 6 mm ),I clean the copper surface.
Surely dust has collected inside the motor,which can be removed with electro clean.
Reassemble parts,
(Push fan little in motor direction,otherwise coal brushes don´t reach rotor) and put steel cover plate in place.
Hammer steel holders,so cover plate stays firm in place.

I did this reparation several times,and only last time I was not sure,if operation succeeded,as I wanted,because the copper rotor was deeply scratched.
Am available,to provide further specific information.Fr.gr.George
Thanks for the engineering insight, but my 08 has about 14,000 miles on it, so I doubt the mileage has anything to do with this issue. At least in my case, it only happens when it's very cold, and most noticeable when slowing down on a slight left turn. After a warm up..no noise. It's hardly a wear and tear issue. I'm more than likely going to hold off till next winter, and see if it happens with the ac. It's just a small annoyance that I can live with..along with the peeling steering wheel..on a $60,000 auto...That I love anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
georgevan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318

@MIX5 :

This kind of wear/pollution can under certain circumstances occur after less mileage than I mentioned.
Eg softer coal brushes wear quicker,and leave residue sooner.
Only way to find out,is to open your ventilator motor...????
I do understand,that when you have a newer model car,you are not likely going to experiment...
I also must stress,that I don´t recommend this reparation to none skilled car lovers...
Fr.gr.georgevan
Appreciate 0