BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Apple Watch (iWatch) and BMW

"2:32 p.m.: Third-party apps will work on the Watch as well. For example, a Starwood Hotels app lets users use their Watch as a room key, while Twitter users can view their timelines or send tweets from your wrist. BMW, Pinterest, Honeywell, Nike and Major League Baseball all working on watch apps."

it must be a 2017 roll out of whatever it is they are cooking up in the apps area.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-09-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Not impressed until I can get my BMW to come and pick me up James Bond style...

Make this BMW+iWatch commercial and you got a deal. I think someone else will do that first, though..

Appreciate 2
      09-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn

Make this BMW+iWatch commercial and you got a deal. I think someone else will do that first, though..

I for one would be pissed if I got stuck behind that thing moving so slow in a parking garage lol. Cool though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Captain Douchebag
Rep
Drives: none

Who pays the ticket the first time it parks illegally? I wish this was a reality though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

I hope whatever BMW comes up with is better than their current remote app. The thing is a dog right now. It takes literally minutes for me to flash the light or lock / unlock. It makes the app pretty much useless right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
Who pays the ticket the first time it parks illegally? I wish this was a reality though.
Or runs down a pedestrian when a sensor fails...
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

[QUOTE=cobra006;16607097]I hope whatever BMW comes up with is better than their current remote app. The thing is a dog right now. It takes literally minutes for me to flash the light or lock / unlock. It makes the app pretty much useless right now.[/QUOTE

Which version are you on? I'm on the new 3.0 on the iPhone and its much better that the previous version.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post

Definitely got where you are coming from and I've been begging for some more innovative technologies in BMWs. With the level of competition nowadays BMW has to up their game or they might find themselves in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What they talked about in the presentation was current state of charge and finding your car if you forget where you parked it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
What they talked about in the presentation was current state of charge and finding your car if you forget where you parked it.
Typical stuff only iPhone users would care or need. Unless it works in a parking lot in Las Vegas Hotel along with floor, color, section... (I never selfpark anymore, valet is amazing), I don't really see the super special exclusivity of finding where you parked. If you feel it will be difficult to find it, you just open your (*insert your favorite map app here) and put a dot on where you parked. State of charge is OK if you have an i8. Other than that, we need to be able to tell if we locked from distance (park on the street, go home and go nuts over if I locked it or not, and I actually walk back sometimes) and since there is a SIM embedded on board iDrive, I wish we could do this remotely from home via internet. Also be able to lock unlock via internet, or be able to start and set A/C temp, that would be really cool.

I am sure there is a list of functions people want on their Car connected Smart Devices somewhere on the internet..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I hope they make some app for the Moto 360. I love this thing :

09-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I have to say I'm actually a little bit intrigued by the Apple Watch. I may go for gen 1, just for fun, depending on if I have a few $$ to toss away at the time. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how/if this bumps up the wearables market as a whole. More competition is always a good thing for the consumer. Either it will finally improve the wearables to the point they're worth it, or it will prove once and for all that it's a dead-end market.

BTW, @Opasha, nice pix of the 360. Better than what I normally see online. They need to use your pix to advertise it, because the ones on Motorola's website make it look like you're strapping a soup can on your wrist. Not just round, but ridiculously tall, or so it looks. I wish they would've attached the strap more in the middle rather than the bottom.

I really like the look of the upcoming LG watch. I forget the name of it...the R?
Although at this point it probably doesn't matter since it requires Android and I'm an Apple consumer, at least for now.
      09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
I have to say I'm actually a little bit intrigued by the Apple Watch. I may go for gen 1, just for fun, depending on if I have a few $$ to toss away at the time. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how/if this bumps up the wearables market as a whole. More competition is always a good thing for the consumer. Either it will finally improve the wearables to the point they're worth it, or it will prove once and for all that it's a dead-end market.

BTW, @Opasha, nice pix of the 360. Better than what I normally see online. They need to use your pix to advertise it, because the ones on Motorola's website make it look like you're strapping a soup can on your wrist. Not just round, but ridiculously tall, or so it looks. I wish they would've attached the strap more in the middle rather than the bottom.

I really like the look of the upcoming LG watch. I forget the name of it...the R?
Although at this point it probably doesn't matter since it requires Android and I'm an Apple consumer, at least for now.
Thanks, my friend. I agree that Motorola does a terrible job on the size of the watch with their pics. When I opened it up and tried it on, it was just a tiny bit smaller than my large Jacques Lemans 46mm watch. It's actually the perfect size on my wrist as well. I have big forearms, but I have skinnier wrists (genes). I bought one for my father (the grey OEM strap one in the pics) and just finished putting this beautiful black leather strap on for him:

Yes, the upcoming LG watch is referred to as the LG G Watch R. It has a Dick Tracy style: