XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #45
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The mental gymnastics that some people will go through to defend a brand is... Mind boggling

I'm not suggesting we get out our torches and pitchforks, but this is bad. The failure mode for any electronics equipment should not be "fire". Specifically, electrical engineers go to great lengths to prevent fires.

So yeah, it's good to keep a sense of perspective. BMW is doing the right thing here, but this was a mistake. There's no need to jump in and defend this as some kind of expected result of owning an aging car. It's not.

Quote:
Agree. Any electrical connector that can cause a fire on its own without tampering is a serious issue. May be a case of bean counters saving a few cents on a tin plated connector design vs. silver plating, crimping vs. soldered connectors, etc. Will cost BMW much more in the recall cost than what they saved with the cheaper connector.
@bradleyland. LOL at your mental gymnastics comment.

First off I would like to know exactly how you can guarantee that the fail safe regarding an electronic component NEVER is fire ?

Second, Do you seriously think that vehicle fires are so uncommon?! You are totally going overboard here.

Indeed , let's keep this in perspective!

While a serious issue indeed, this is certainly not an issue limited to or specific to ,BMW , it affects many manufacturers and many SUPPLIERS of parts for OEM equipment.

Do I even need to utter the word. TAKATA?

Aside from vehicle airbags , there are many components that have led to fires in many different vehicles.

BMW had an issue with this in the X5 years ago and issued like this go back to the Ford Pinto or before.

I've already had a battery cable replaced on my 1M- do you think failures of it wouldn't have resulted in a potential fire risk ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_fire

According to the page above approximately 280,000 ACTUAL vehicle fires occur in a year. I wonder how many of those began due to an electronic component or part like a battery, fan, cruise control module , etc etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/engine-...ecalled-fords/

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...374150891.html

Lamborghini and Ferrari models are well known for fire risks particularly in older models.

Take a surf on over to the NHTSA web site and play around and see how many vehicle recalls are due to an eventual fire hazard.

Moral of the story - it's a recall. Check for your model and if it's affected then look for your notice and call your dealer. When fire hazard is a concern you seriously may wish to consider parking your vehicle away from the residence.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #46
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

First off I would like to know exactly how you can guarantee that the fail safe regarding an electronic component NEVER is fire ?

Second, Do you seriously think that vehicle fires are so uncommon?! You are totally going overboard here.

While a serious issue indeed, this is certainly not an issue limited to or specific to ,BMW , it affects many manufacturers and many SUPPLIERS of parts for OEM equipment.

Aside from vehicle airbags , there are many components that have led to fires in many different vehicles.

BMW had an issue with this in the X5 years ago and issued like this go back to the Ford Pinto or before.

I've already had a battery cable replaced on my 1M- do you think failures of it wouldn't have resulted in a potential fire risk ?

According to the page above approximately 280,000 ACTUAL vehicle fires occur in a year. I wonder how many of those began due to an electronic component or part like a battery, fan, cruise control module , etc etc.

Lamborghini and Ferrari models are well known for fire risks particularly in older models.

Take a surf on over to the NHTSA web site and play around and see how many vehicle recalls are due to an eventual fire hazard.

Moral of the story - it's a recall. Check for your model and if it's affected then look for your notice and call your dealer. When fire hazard is a concern you seriously may wish to consider parking your vehicle away from the residence.
Did you even read my comment?

Have you ever heard the saying, two wrongs don't make a right? Just because Lamborghini and Ferrari models are known to catch fire doesn't make this a good thing.

Like I said, I'm not advocating anyone get out their pitchforks, and I really don't see how anything you said contradicts my statements. Other than the fact that you apparently didn't learn what most of us learned in pre-school.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Quote:

Did you even read my comment?

Have you ever heard the saying, two wrongs don't make a right? Just because Lamborghini and Ferrari models are known to catch fire doesn't make this a good thing.

Like I said, I'm not advocating anyone get out their pitchforks, and I really don't see how anything you said contradicts my statements. Other than the fact that you apparently didn't learn what most of us learned in pre-school.
I haven't matriculated to primary school.

Don't rush me either !
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #48
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Not sure which of us you are responding to, but I didn't say you can guarantee anything. What I said was "Any electrical connector that can cause a fire on its own without tampering is a serious issue." Fire is an immediate threat to life and property, it's not just getting stuck on the side of the road. The reason I commented and as Bradleyland said was to not "get the pitch forks out", but more because I think it's likely there are similar issues lurking on newer models as well. Should we also park newer BMW's outside so we don't burn our house down and risk our family's lives?

The most common way to minimize electrical fire risk is to over design for current and voltage handling capacity of wiring and connectors, use high quality metals (i.e. non corrosive) especially at high current contact points, and use fusing to protect the wiring. Apparently they (BMW) knew this and according to the NHTSA report ["The recall component (blower-regulator wiring harness) has tin coated connectors at the end of the harness, while the non-recall component has silver coated connectors at the end of the harness"] the connector was changed to silver (more expensive than tin) contacts at some point in time.

Being an engineer myself for many years I realize it 's not possible to make something perfect, but this is bad engineering and cost cutting.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #49
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Does this affect F80/ F82,built after 2015
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #50
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Does this affect F80/ F82,built after 2015
All the affected vehicles are listed in these documents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
NHTSA document/report for affected 3-series vehicles in HVAC wiring recall (includes production date ranges:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V676-9625.PDF

Other document/report for affected vehicles in PCV heater recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V683-7475.pdf
At first glance, these are all N52 & N53 equipped cars, which is the naturally aspirated 3L I6 engine used before the move to the 35i model designation that accompanied the arrival of the 3L turbocharged I6 N54 engine. The F80 / F82 has the S55, which is a much, much newer engine.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
boss2k1040.50
      11-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #51
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Bmw fire recall

Hope it doesn't affect our cars as the models recalled are 2007 to 2011

Does the M' s have latest technology ?
      11-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #52
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-recalls.html
      11-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #53
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

I saw that and checking if our cars are affected

Tried putting my VIN in the 2nd link and doesnt work
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #54
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I saw that and checking if our cars are affected

Tried putting my VIN in the 2nd link and doesnt work
Worked fine for both my cars - you only enter last 7 digits, not whole VIN
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #55
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Yes worked now , looks good for our cars I think
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #56
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Not that I would have it any other way, but the Porsche always sleeps in the 1-car garage of my house, while the Bimmers slum it out on the driveway.
Hope I get the recall notice soon, that and ignore "fire sales" at the stealer!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #57
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Fake News.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #58
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post
Fake News.
Or Naked Fuse...?

:haha
      11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #59
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
A fire in the trunk related to a headlight harness? Are you serious? More likely that it was an improperly install battery with a loose connection.
Per mechanic, wiring harness had a short in the wiring that ran towards the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #60
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan4 View Post
Agree. Any electrical connector that can cause a fire on its own without tampering is a serious issue. May be a case of bean counters saving a few cents on a tin plated connector design vs. silver plating, crimping vs. soldered connectors, etc. Will cost BMW much more in the recall cost than what they saved with the cheaper connector.
This is driven more by the EU than the bean counters at BMW. The use of pure tin is the result of the EU prohibition of the use of Sn/Pb on connectors & component leads. A case of environmental concerns over riding practical concerns. The transition to pure tin has not been without unforeseen consequences and the mitigation costs have been huge.
lab_rat394.50
      11-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #61
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgemini2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
A fire in the trunk related to a headlight harness? Are you serious? More likely that it was an improperly install battery with a loose connection.
Per mechanic, wiring harness had a short in the wiring that ran towards the headlights.
Find a new mechanic
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #62
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty View Post
This is driven more by the EU than the bean counters at BMW. The use of pure tin is the result of the EU prohibition of the use of Sn/Pb on connectors & component leads. A case of environmental concerns over riding practical concerns. The transition to pure tin has not been without unforeseen consequences and the mitigation costs have been huge.
Yes, forgot about the the EU regs. Thanks for the clarification and info.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #63
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
These recalls are such a pain in the ass. I had the battery cable recall, airbag recall, and now most likely this shit? Takata may not have been directly their fault, but this is now 2 recalls related to electronics most likely caused by cutting corners in the wrong places. Again, another wire that could corrode. Oh well, they're out about $2 billion in market cap since this news came out. Surely that + dealer expenses to fix these issues is enough for them to learn the lesson.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #64
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Can't wait to wait over a year to have the recall performed. At the end of this month I'll finally have the airbag recall performed on my E90.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #65
Droshki
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

So this is the issue that BMW told me about: Blower motor wiring?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #66
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
I wonder if they'll perform the recall on the PCV heater if the intake manifold was replaced... My '07, and the '09 that the 3-stage IM that's in my car came from are both in the recall...
Appreciate 0