XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

E70 X5 3.0si Build Journal - Stage I

Hello All,

I have been a long purveyor of the forums yet have never posted. Given the uniqueness of the in-process build / project, I thought if there was ever a perfect time to make my existence known, now would be it. I will preface the following with what will become quite obvious, namely that this is an entirely impractical project that gives little to no consideration to the price to value ratio. I departed from a very simple premise; why not? My current Bimmer stable includes a 2016 X5M SG, 2013 F10 M5 SingG, 2013 e92 M3 IB, 1994 e34 M5 AW and the point of this post, a 2008 X5 3.0si. All except the X5 3.0si are heavily modified. As a matter of fact, it is bone-stock, which is something of a miracle considering my proclivity to modify just about anything.To take poetic license with George W. Bush's educational slogan, "no car left behind." And so it begins.

The objective of the build is to create a relatively high-performing, relatively fuel-efficient, aesthetically appealing (and perhaps confusing, e.g. "what is that?") daily driver. I anticipate several responses to the post that suggest I would be better off (1) acquiring an X5M (already have one, owned several), (2) acquiring a non-M F15 (I would simply buy an X5M, refer to postulate #1) et cetera. To potentially appreciate the project, one must accept the overarching premise of impracticality. Generally, we're departing from an excellent base as the car is top-mechanical and cosmetic shape, age-adjusted of course.

Let's start with the body work and exterior cosmetics:

The color is Titanium Silver Metallic; I actually like the color. The plastic bumper trim and fender flares is of the most offensive styling BMW has ever produced. For the 4 years I've owned the vehicle, I've pathologically concluded that it didn't exist and that the car was properly monochromatic. We are therefore:

1. Upgrading the fender flares to the newer M-sport version that actually flare with a lip
2. Painting said flares bumpers and running boards
3. Painting and installing rear and front aero-kit
4. De-badging X5 decals, 3.0 si decals and removing that god-awful door trim
5. LUX adjustable angel eyes kit
6. Black kidney grills

I know several on this forum, past and present, have done this modification. I'll restate what has been said severally: not cheap, primarily due to the texture differential between the polyurethane components and the metal body. There is also the added complexity of rendering a paint job that will actually last more than 2-years. Tear down begins Monday the 27th. I will have the body shop take as many pictures as is reasonable. To this end, a massive plug for RJ's body shop in Pleasanton, CA; in my opinion, the best shop in the Bay and the only one who has touched any of my vehicles, Bimmers and otherwise. If possible, I will post mid-job pictures as an update herein.

Onto the suspension, wheels, tires and brakes:

There aren't too many options in the way of sway bars and like given the nearly non-existent market for this vehicle, so we may improvise a bit for Stage-II.

1.KW V3s - we will go as low as is practical given the variables of stance, agility and comfort. I suspect we will be experimenting here for a few months
2. Velos S2 wheels; Hand Brushed Triple-Dark Windows finish (22"x10.5", 22"x12")
3. Vredstein Tires (295/30/22, 335/25/22)
4. StopTech big brake kit, front and rear, cross-drilled rotors (red rotor color)

I am hoping the darker contrast of the wheels to the body color will create the subtle yet distinct look desired. We shall see. I really tortured over the wheel selection as ALL of my cars sport HREs, but have long been a fan of Velos. Portfolio diversification has its advantages, maybe... This work will begin when the body work is complete and the wheels arrive. We are attempting to expedite the order with an associated fee. I admittedly have the patience of a gnat.

Onto the engine & exhaust:

The N52 is a bit of a dog, especially given the girth of the X5, despite its relatively high-revving proclivities. While there are ECU tuning options that yield a modest benefit, my reaction to such was more or less to yawn. Forced induction then. While we could design an entirely bespoke turbocharger system, that is most likely what I would consider as a Stage-II modification assuming Stage-I does not produce the desired results. There are supercharger options for the N52, however no kits specifically for the e70 X5. After researching the issue exhaustively, we settled on the ESS kit for the Z4, which should be adaptable to the X5 with a bit of, ahem, creativity. Gains to the crank are expected to be around 100HP, which should make a noticeable difference, especially in the lower RPM regimes. As for the exhaust, it will be a custom design that eliminates the mufflers and resonators. This work will also begin concurrent with the wheels, suspension etc. Someone may correct the assumption, but if successful, this may be the first supercharged 3.0si. An achievement of no distinction of course, impracticality...

Lastly, the interior:

Carbon fiber wrap on all panels, custom mats and the M-sport steering wheel upgrade. Lighting will also be upgraded to LEDs throughout. Ok, that's enough for now, back to the corporate grind. Would love to know of your thoughts and I look forward to updating the journal over the next 6 - 8 weeks.

3.28.17: **UPDATE**

Parts have begun to arrive. Below are the Stoptech front and rear kits featuring cross-drilled rotors. ESS Supercharger, KWV3s, Velos, Akra Exhaust tips are all en route (allegedly). The paint and body work is scheduled to conclude by the week's end. Once I am in receipt of photos, I will post them sequentially demonstrating the laborious process. Enjoy!

4.4.17: **UPDATE**

The paint and body work are scheduled to conclude Thursday and I should take receipt of the vehicle on Friday. RJ snapped a few images of the painted components and reassembly process which are found below. The craftsmanship employed is superb. I cannot over emphasize the high-quality nature of RJ's services. he is a perfectionist (which sometimes results in him holding my cars hostage for weeks on end until he is satisfied with the given job ). Even half-assembled, the aesthetic transformation is evident. I hope to provide another update this weekend with images of the completed and assembled vehicle. We could begin the mechanical phase of the build as early as next week!

4.18.17: **UPDATE**

At long last, the paint and body work phase of the build is complete. The weather in Northern California has been abhorrent, and as such, I only have iPhone photos taken indoor, pre-detail, to showcase the work. The final product exceeded my expectations, which were lofty to begin with. To recap the work done:

1. Bumpers replaced and painted - all texture removed from polyurethane black components
2. Fenders repainted
3. Hood repainted
4. Upgraded OEM fender flares, de-texturized and painted
5. OEM aero kit, de-texturized and painted
6. Running boards de-texturized and painted; metal running board insert painted matte metallic grey-black
7. Door bump trim de-texturized and painted
8. Vehicle de-badged
9. Matte black front kidneys installed

The vehicle was transported to GMP yesterday to begin the mechanical phase of the build. As we are still awaiting delivery of the KW V3s, we will begin with the supercharger and exhaust installations. I also received proof of life from Velos on the S2s (which like HRE, seemingly take an eon to manufacture). I have posted said image below as well. I suspect a 2-3 week cycle time to complete the balance of the project. I endeavor to get better pictures of the current state this week. Additionally, I will post Hi-Def sequential images of the paint and body work as soon as I have an opportunity to retrieve the files from the body shop. Getting closer. Patience is overrated!

4.27.17:**UPDATE**

All parts arrived this week (except the wheels, of course), importantly the ESS SC, which is pictured below. Engine bay tear-down began yesterday, as did exhaust fabrication. The targeted critical path is as follows: SC installation (I predict that the coolant reservoir will have to be relocated, as well as a few other minor components - this installation promises to be tricky), exhaust, coilovers, angel eyes, brakes, wheels. It is within the realm of possibility that all work will be completed within one week's time, but then again, we are already 3 weeks behind my original schedule. Closer yet...

5.5.17:**UPDATE**

ESS SC installation underway. As expected, some customization is required to fit the kit; specifically, the relocation of the power steering reservoir. ESS has taken a keen interest in the project given that this is the first known attempt to super charge the N52 on the X5 platform, and have proven quite helpful to the shop performing the work. The exhaust fabrication efforts is also underway. The project should be completed next week upon the installation of the BBK, coilovers, wheels and angel eyes upgrade.

5.9.17:**UPDATE**

The SC installation continues. In addition to relocating the power steering reservoir, we had to move the positive terminal and fabricate a custom coolant reservoir. The fabrication work is quite nice. Filling said reservoir will be a bit burdensome, but it can be accessed from the top. Thus far, no impediments to a successful installation have been identified. Oh and the wheels have yet to arrive; they are now 8 weeks delayed to the original delivery date But alas, such will all be forgotten upon project completion.
Attached Images

2013 F10 M5 Singapore Grey | BPM Stage-II Tune | SSP Spec-R clutch-pack| RPI DPs | RPI GTM | RK Intake | Custom Aquamist WMI system | KW V3 coilovers | Dinan Sway Bars | RW Diffsuer | RW Front Spoiler | IND Trim | HRE s101s | Passport 9500ci | AWRON digital gauge cluster
AND: e92 M3, e70 x5, 997.1 GT3, F15 x5M, e34 M5, 80-series LC

Last edited by M.FriedmanFast; 05-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: UPDATE
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I'm interested in seeing your results from the ESS Supercharger. I was looking at those also and comparing the engine bays. Only worry is that the AWD system or power steering reservoir somehow gets in the way, but it looks like there is plenty of space. I did the Burger Tuning PBX on my wife's 2008 3.0si and it's been fantastic. Getting great gas mileage and the engine performs way better with no lag in the throttle. It's still miles away from a X5M though.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Welcome to the forums. You clearly have a very apt stable already! Please share pics. Curious, what purpose does the 3.0 serve in your lineup? (ie: daily driver?) Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Sirdaft1, the X5 has been something of a utility vehicle. At times a DD, at other times, a wagon to haul our massive Black Russian Terrier around. Always loved it for that purpose, but we recently purchased a new Toyota Landcruiser and now the X5 is full-mod eligible!
2013 F10 M5 Singapore Grey | BPM Stage-II Tune | SSP Spec-R clutch-pack| RPI DPs | RPI GTM | RK Intake | Custom Aquamist WMI system | KW V3 coilovers | Dinan Sway Bars | RW Diffsuer | RW Front Spoiler | IND Trim | HRE s101s | Passport 9500ci | AWRON digital gauge cluster
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I'm interested in seeing your results from the ESS Supercharger. I was looking at those also and comparing the engine bays. Only worry is that the AWD system or power steering reservoir somehow gets in the way, but it looks like there is plenty of space. I did the Burger Tuning PBX on my wife's 2008 3.0si and it's been fantastic. Getting great gas mileage and the engine performs way better with no lag in the throttle. It's still miles away from a X5M though.
We are keen to evaluate the performance gains from the SC as well, particularly with the torque-robbing AWD under DSC conditions. We will install the associated ESS software as well, but given the RWD design purpose of the kit, question compatibility and ultimately driveability...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE

UPDATE:

1. The car was delivered to the body shop on Monday (RJ's in Pleasanton, CA) and tear-down began yesterday. Cycle time for the body work process is estimated to be 2 - 3 weeks. They will chronicle the process and as such, I will post photos as they become available; and of course the same applies to the finished product!
2. All performance parts have been ordered with the longest lead item being the Velos S2 wheels; they committed to a 4-week delivery time and hence sometime around the 28th of March we expect to take delivery. Once all components have been received, the car will be delivered; cycle time for the installation process is estimated to be 5-days. With a bit of luck then, the car will be ready for motoring toward the end of the first week of March. In the interim, we will be photographing the parts as they arrive and will post such accordingly
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Welcome to the forums!

Great thread, I will be curious to follow this as you progress though the mod list. Just curious, any consideration given to LCI headlights and taillights? You don't seem to be cutting any corners so figured I'd mention it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Great thread, I will be curious to follow this as you progress though the mod list. Just curious, any consideration given to LCI headlights and taillights? You don't seem to be cutting any corners so figured I'd mention it.
Thanks for the reply. I gave serious consideration to the LCI headlights and taillights and deferred exercising that option primarily on the basis of speed to completion. The taillights are relatively easy, however the headlights are significantly more complicated and again, I wanted to initiate and complete the project ASAP. There is also a soft-objective of maintaining the essence of the car's vintage, despite aspects of the body work that could be considered somewhat contradictory here. In short, I am trying to improve the styling of the vehicle within one standard deviation of its original design mean, if that makes sense. But then again, I am always prone to increasing a project's scope!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Stable

Hello All,

I will be posting pictures of the body work process within the week; in the interim, in response to one of the posts, here are a few members of my stable, namely my F10 M5 and e92 M3. The M3 will go under the knife next week to have the ESS VT-595 SC kit and the IPE Innotech F1 exhaust installed; also doing the KW V3s. It currently has the Dinan S2 package. The M5 gets new shoes next week as well, 21" HRE S101s, satin gold fascia, brushed gold lip, satin black inner barrel. The other modifications are listed in my signature. I'll post pics of the e34 and X5M soon (meaning as soon as I conjure the energy to detail them). Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      03-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Nice line-up - both cars look great!

I've got an IB M3 too, though mine's an E90. Love IB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Pics

All,

I apologize in advance for the graininess of the images, but nonetheless wanted to post an update on the E70 project.

1. Decided to purchase new front and rear bumpers to render a better finished product
2. All polyurethane pieces have been removed and / or replaced, sanded and undergone first primer application; given the elasticity of the material, they allow them to dry and constrict, followed by yet another sanding and primer application
3. Aero kit received, primed and painted
4. Running board alloy inserts will be painted satin black to allow for a subtle match with the satin kidneys
4. Satin black kidneys received and installed

The shop has copiously documented the entire process via HD images and I will post these upon completion of this phase of the project. Thus far, I couldn't be more pleased with the meticulous approach employed by RJ and his crew. In one of the images you can see the myriad components dispersed throughout the shop at varying stages of progress; I'll reemphasize again the labor intensity of this monochromatic paint process.

As for other updates:

1. KW V3 and Stoptech front and rear kit scheduled to arrive next week; pictures forthcoming
2. ESS SC scheduled to arrive 1.5 weeks hence; we are increasingly confident that the selected kit will fit with minor modifications to the intake and the potential relocation of the coolant reservoir; the path of least resistance does not apply when it comes to custom builds, a lesson that I never seem to learn let alone interpolate
3. Velos S2s scheduled to arrive by the month's end
4. We have yet to decide on the final exhaust design; as for tips, I am leaning toward Akrapovic-styled carbon ones

Lastly, I included an image of my e92 which is currently under the knife

More to come!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Is it sad I'm more excited reading about this build than X5M builds? Keep the pics coming!

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Great progress - best thread on here in awhile!

The headlights are out, any seconds thoughts on some LCI headlights?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Very nice OP. Love the pics. Sticking mostly with OEM+ on the E70 3.0 or are you planning to make it a bit wild?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Is it sad I'm more excited reading about this build than X5M builds? Keep the pics coming!
The journal is certainly not intended evoke sadness! All jokes aside, I endeavored to do something way beyond the norm and perhaps beyond the pale of economic sensibility! Thanks for following.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #16
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Very nice OP. Love the pics. Sticking mostly with OEM+ on the E70 3.0 or are you planning to make it a bit wild?
The performance modifications are of course anything but OEM; the body work, but for the aero kit is OEM-inspired, specifically the later model aesthetics. I did however want to retain the spirit of the e70, hence the decision not to upgrade either bumpers or lights to the LCI versions.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great progress - best thread on here in awhile!

The headlights are out, any seconds thoughts on some LCI headlights?
No second thoughts on the LCI lights; the LUX upgrade will provide the distinction desired whilst still maintaining the spirit and vintage of this particular e70.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #18
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice line-up - both cars look great!

I've got an IB M3 too, though mine's an E90. Love IB
Thanks! IB is one of my all time favorite colors, only second to AW.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
jandref321
Captain
Rep

BUMP for an update

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #20
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BUMP for an update
All,

I too am impatiently waiting for an update, or rather to POST an update and it is my project! The body work has taken longer than expected, but the process pics demonstrate impeccable work. The challenge is eliminating the texture from the several plastic components, which entails no less than 4 applications of sealant with progressive sanding in between stages. It is now quite evident why so few have attempted this aesthetic modification and I would further caution any contemplating such to properly due diligence the body shop charged with the work. Even normalizing for a Northern CA cost structure, you should be weary of any estimates below $8 - $10K.

The shop has taken high-definition photographs throughout and once received, I will post them as an update to the original post. All parts for the mechanical phase of the build have been received but for the Velos wheels. Too, pictures here are forthcoming. The car will be delivered to GMP (the shop performing the mechanical phase of the build) as soon as the paint and body work are done.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:25 AM   #21
M3AN_S65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

Your builds have inspired me to search for an F10 for my next project once my E92 M3 is complete. Can't wait to see the final product.

IG : @m3an_V8_4.6L 2013 BMW M3 E92...MCS coilover kit...Dinan exhaust...Dinan lower control arm mono-ball kit...Dinan rear toe links...Dinan front sway bar...Dinan pulley...Apex SM-10...Lux H8 V5
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:25 AM   #22
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Hate to say it, but those Vortech-style superchargers are useless.