XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

06-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
SirMedo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

Cylinder 8 Misfire after ESS Tuner Installed

I was hoping to get some help on this issue....

I have installed an ESS Tuner about three months ago. The same day I had a Cylinder 8 Misfire. I read the code and ended up changing out the coil and the spark-plug for Cylinder 8. I did not have any issues up until about a week ago. The same code showed up, Cylinder 8 Misfire. Also...BMW had already replaced all 8 fuel injectors prior to my ESS Tuner.

I have two questions for this... Anybody had this kind of issue and any ideas what it truly could be?

Second question....I was thinking about taking it back to BMW but do I need to re-flash stock setup before the ESS Tuner or can I leave the ESS Tuner setup? Will they be able to tell that it's tuned? I don't want them to find it and void my warranty.

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
vinhvle
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trans Am/Matrix/X6M/R8/i3

Based on the threads I've read about ignition problems with the X Bimmers, spark plugs, ignition coils and fuel injectors are commonly linked to ignition issues and usually need to be replaced in E71s around 40000-50000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs last week in mine, and I'm going to replace the fuel injectors and coils next weekend. Is it possible your spark plug is fouled up because the tune has a richer fuel/air mixture and now the spark plug isn't firing properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
SirMedo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I totally agree with you on that.... I flashed it back to stock and it has been running good for now. I am going to take it back and have them look at it. I really appreciate your response.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
vinhvle
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trans Am/Matrix/X6M/R8/i3

I'm glad I could help out a little bit. In general, fuel injectors are normally upgraded whenever you install power adders so I assumed you'd need to upgrade the fuel or ignition system in the X if you tune it because the gains are so significant. Given the price of new fuel injectors alone, I've been reluctant to get a tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhvle View Post
I'm glad I could help out a little bit. In general, fuel injectors are normally upgraded whenever you install power adders so I assumed you'd need to upgrade the fuel or ignition system in the X if you tune it because the gains are so significant. Given the price of new fuel injectors alone, I've been reluctant to get a tune.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
SirMedo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhvle View Post

I have not had any issues after flashing it back.... No limp mode or anything. They changed my injectors already a while ago . I guess I wasted the money on the tuner if I cant run it. Ill try the tuner again and see but if ill keep having issues ill just keep it stock.
Thanks again...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
SirMedo
Enlisted Member
Rep

It was a bad coil.... After replacing it no problems for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
good to know... thanks for the follow up.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0