XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

Mute Function in 4th Generation iDrive?

Folks:

So i've searched this forum and googled the web as well to no avail. I have the 4th Gen iDrive, and can't find a way to mute my phone in the car while on conference calls. Anyone else run into this issue? I could have sworn that Gen 2 had this feature.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

i have never had the need to mute a call, but maybe while on it you can hit the options button and see if it's in there
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yep, already tried Options -> doesn't give me a Mute Function. I'm always on conference calls, and usually listen and mute my phone while on long trips or when i really need to sneeze or cough. I mostly use it when I want to reduce the overall background noise given that there are usually 30+ people on the phone.

I'm 99% sure my 2nd generation iDrive had this so i'm bummed that I have to keep opening up the center console and hitting the mute button on the iPhone.

I'm starting to think that the iPhone cradle was a complete waste of money.

If anyone else has any advice, that would be super!

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
RedRockin
Rep
Drives: X5 30i

Have you tried hitting the mute button on your phone? don't KNOW it will work but certainly seems worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockin View Post
Have you tried hitting the mute button on your phone? don't KNOW it will work but certainly seems worth a try.
I'm certain that works as well, Just curious to know if there's a button on the iDrive as it would be more hands free and probably easier to access than the mute in this example the touch screen iPhone
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
RedRockin
Rep
Drives: X5 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
I'm certain that works as well, Just curious to know if there's a button on the iDrive as it would be more hands free and probably easier to access than the mute in this example the touch screen iPhone
I understand the issue. Have looked for mute, prior to this thread, and did not see it. I have a touch screen Blackberry Storm and conclude the mute on the phone will do the job if no-one can find the hidden feature in iDrive. From all I can so far see, relative to BT phone connections, iDrive seems to be effectively a BT headset. Granted, it lets you see and voicedial your contacts but is really just a second view and appears to be performing no real phone functions. For example, in my Infiniti, the "iDrive", did not download the contacts unless the phone had the specific export/push feature. Even then, the Inifiniti "iDrive" would not voice dial without creating a separate voice dial contact list and programming your own voice stamps for each number (whihc the car's "idrive" stores in its memory. In that system, the car's "iDrive" was performing phone functions in addition to the BT connection. In the X5, iDrive seems to be a BT an extension of the phone and I see no real phone functions being handled by the vehicle. Contacts are not stored, rather re-downloaded each time you get in the vehicle and user independent voice dial may be the car's (or could be the phone's - cant tell) but the X5 has an EXTENSIVE user independent voice dial vocabulary. So, my conclusion is that while the iDrive COULD have a mute feature (similar to the ones on BT headsets which are independent of the phone's), using the phone's mute "should" still works on a BT headset and "should" work on the X5. I say "should" because I haven't tried it yet in my X5. It does work an my BT headsets tho (of course I have not tried every headset and/or every phone - but it does work on the ones I do use).

Of course, iDrive/Steering-wheel is a better option but I ma just looking to try to help Nathan (OP).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

hmmm I'm sure they have one... LExus has it on theirs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Folks:

Thanks for the replies. So I do confirm that while connected through BT, the Mute function on the iPhone does work. However, there is no way to switch the Mute function on or off from the steering wheel or iDrive. So right now, the inconvenience includes popping open the center console and hitting the mute icon, which is a bit dangerous while in motion. Its obviously easier to just have the phone in your hand and mute/unmute.

However, because i got the Smartphone integration and the cradle, I expected more. I probably won't get it again because I actually prefer the cable, which i know sounds stupid, but its just easier AND I can mute the iPhone.

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
santo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Would this work? Don't have an X5 yet but I could use this too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tried it, that doesn't work. The Options screen gives you nothing beyond the Split Screen functions.
Appreciate 0