XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Dwhoa
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Newbie Advice - Base Model X5

I am looking to buy a fairly base model 2011 X5 (purchase, not financed) - budgeting about $50,000 (perhaps willing to spend up to $52,000 all in).

I live in Manhattan, land of the limited dealerships and Brioni suited buyer base.

Will it be hard getting decent service with these parameters? I know that dealers make their money selling options/frills, and I'm not going to be firm on the $52,000 upper limit. I'm not even sure how I should go about negotiating a price, given that I'm probably already at the cheaper end of buyer for an X5. Any thoughts on this?

The other question I have is will I be better off buying an X3 with some more options rather than a fairly stripped down X5?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
icenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

I would have sent this via pm, however you have not met the 5 post requirement yet.

I am the sales manager for a leasing and vehicle customization company in NJ. I would be more than happy to help you find the right vehicle. I can provide you with much better pricing then you will find at a dealership. If you are interested here are my contacts.

robw@lmleasing.com
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Jim E.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individ: 99 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhoa View Post
I am looking to buy a fairly base model 2011 X5 (purchase, not financed) - budgeting about $50,000 (perhaps willing to spend up to $52,000 all in).

I live in Manhattan, land of the limited dealerships and Brioni suited buyer base.

Will it be hard getting decent service with these parameters? I know that dealers make their money selling options/frills, and I'm not going to be firm on the $52,000 upper limit. I'm not even sure how I should go about negotiating a price, given that I'm probably already at the cheaper end of buyer for an X5. Any thoughts on this?

The other question I have is will I be better off buying an X3 with some more options rather than a fairly stripped down X5?

Thanks!
You should be able to negotiate $1000 over dealer cost.

Look at the finance rates at BMWUSA.com.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...r/default.aspx

go to edmunds, kbb etc..., to get dealer cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
pfbz
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhoa View Post
I am looking to buy a fairly base model 2011 X5 (purchase, not financed) - budgeting about $50,000 (perhaps willing to spend up to $52,000 all in)
Don't sweat it with up-tight dealerships... If they have attitude, just move on to the next one. I can't imagine you will have any problem finding a dealer happy to take your business and still give you a good price on a lightly equipped X5. With an invoice plus deal, they are going to make exactly the same thing on a $70K X5 as your $50K X5.

If price conscious, call David at www.eurocarsonline.com. He usually does about $100 over invoice. Take a train or commuter flight to Baltimore (Northwest BMW is the dealer) and drive it home. Pay $1,000 less dealer profit, perhaps a $1,000 more to put into options.

I personally think a great budget configuration is a base X5 35i (not premium) with only the convenience package, which adds the great panoramic roof, bluetooth, folding mirrors and a few other items. That config nets out at about $46,800 including destination, MACO, training fee, and the $100 markup. Plus the cost of a one-way ticket to BWI.

Heck, you can add every option available on the base X5 35i (admittedly there aren't many, but Nav, roof rails, Sat radio, iPod interface, heated seats, and a few other items) and you still be out-the-door for about $50K plus tax.

As for the X3 vs. the X5, really depends. Do you need the extra space on the X5? As far as resale, base price of car deprecates much slower than the option value... A $30K base X3 with $20K options will be worth considerably less after five years than a $40K base X5 with $10K options, for example.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-20-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
chinaman01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 35i premium

i live in queens, and i just bought my 11 x5 premium for 60k grand total with all package and a little option. dealer went under invoice by 2-3k. yes i no it seems hard to believe but i got the deal, they extended all event/deals to me and if ur paying straight up i think they will love u more. i got it at competition bmw of smithtown in long island. i worked w bob and he was great. word of advise, he was awesome w price drops. he give me it at 54700 at first, than i ask him to drop to 54k straight and he did it, which is about 2-3k under. fyi ny tax is about 6k. hope this help
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Dwhoa
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. One additional wrinkle is that I am moving back to Ontario in the summer and need to find a NY area dealer willing to sell to me. Could be an issue given that I only have an Ontario license. Anyone have any insight into this?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
chinaman01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 35i premium

since ur buying straight up i dont think they would mind. most dealers are happy if u can take one off their hands
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
pfbz
Rep
Drives: Many

I don't think a dealer could care less if you are moving or if you have a Canadian drivers license... You plan on titling and registering the car in NY initially, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Dwhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman01 View Post
i live in queens, and i just bought my 11 x5 premium for 60k grand total with all package and a little option. dealer went under invoice by 2-3k.
This is an amazing deal! Just to clarify - you got over $10,000 worth of packages, on a base of $52,100 for the X5 35i Premium, and walked away paying only $54,000 pre-tax?

Wow! I'm now hoping to get the X5 35i Premium with no packages, just a third row of seats. Total MSRP on this is $54,775 - so based on your deal, I should be looking to pay no more than $50,000 pre-tax? I would be happy with this, but what do you think about this?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Dwhoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
I don't think a dealer could care less if you are moving or if you have a Canadian drivers license... You plan on titling and registering the car in NY initially, correct?
I think you're right on that - probably more of an issue in the border cities where BMW has threatened dealers to play nice.

I'm planning on getting 30-day temporary plates/registration from NY and use Canadian insurance.
Appreciate 0